So no brakes?

Paradice

TDI
2005 BEW
I just replaced the master cylinder and brake booster in my tdi Jetta and after extensively bleeding the brakes I have found that the brakes severely suck it will start to stop but not much of the pedal is useful you need to dig your foot into the floor in order to stop for now I have just started to engine brake to stop anyone think of anything?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
A: why did you replace these items, what issue did you have prior?

B: did you use the exact same brand? There are several VAG used, and they are matched to each other.

C: did you run the ABS bleed procedure?

D: are the parking brake cables working properly, and do the rear caliper ratchets move freely and return on their own fully to the rest position?

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
What's with people posting in the wrong forums all the time? OP you have air in your lines more than likely, but this ain't the place to ask about it.

Paradice

TDI
2005 BEW
A: why did you replace these items, what issue did you have prior?

B: did you use the exact same brand? There are several VAG used, and they are matched to each other.

C: did you run the ABS bleed procedure?

D: are the parking brake cables working properly, and do the rear caliper ratchets move freely and return on their own fully to the rest position?
I replaced the brake booster because I diagnosed a bad brake booster got a new Napa one then decided why the hell not I’ll replace the master cylinder too. Kept getting the wrong one from Napa and decided to go to orileys and got an already opened box master cylinder. I have not done C and D

oilhammer

TDI
OK, well you first need to be certain that you have the correct parts. The ones the car came with will have a brand name on them somewhere... Given your car is a 2005, in most likely has ESP, and it most likely had an Ate brand booster on it. You need to replace it with an Ate brake booster.

It could also be a Bosch, or a TRW, or another brand that escapes me... VAG switched around. And you have to use the proper master cylinder, you cannot mix 'n match them or they simply won't work correctly (low pedal, or dragging brakes, etc.).

Then, you need to do C, and check on D.

Paradice

TDI
2005 BEW
Ok so could I run the abs bleed procedure see if that works then if that doesn’t work could I get a Napa master cylinder to match the Napa booster I didn’t know about the brands and I have already sunk like +200 between orileys and Napa and they both won’t let me return either of the parts

03Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta, 92 Toyota swap (ongoing), retired 03 golf
I d

i did not just bleed it threw the calipers
You can 'bench bleed' on the car by loosening the line nuts as though they are a bleed screw. Try to get a container underneath to catch the drips. Worth a quick try.

oilhammer

TDI
He's WAY past that part by now. That ABS assembly is full of air.

Still don't know what brand parts were taken off. If you did not install the correct stuff it'll never feel right.

"NAPA" is not a brand of brake parts. They are a parts store chain. I don't know what brands they would sell, as I'd not likely ever buy any Volkswagen parts there.