So many chips!

Jordan_Elias

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS 1999.5 Jetta TDI sold
ive been looking around for a chip, and i dont know which is better, Rocketchip or Upsolute. Im a 3 hour drive from getting the upsolute chip installed and was quoted 445 + gst, what are prices for the RC? As well. if i decide to get a new tdi, can i just swap the ecu's? or would a 02 or 03 ecu be much different. I cant decided if i want the chip, now or if i should wait for a newer car, if that happens even, but im sure i could somehow get the chip on the new ecu if a swap cant happen right?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Of all the 'CHIPS' that are represented here (installed), I would guess from reading this forum for a few years that Upsolute is bringing up the rear of the pack in installation numbers.

You didn't say what car you have....?

Bill

dbeck_01

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
kerma or rocketchip both seem real good. u can send your ecu to either or kerma has a qloader you can buy and have all of your tunes sent through email and upload your self to your car. Cost is more at first but no car downtime

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
The q-loader/flashzilla won't work on a 99.5. The ECU must be socketed and the chips physically changed.

Jordan_Elias

Veteran Member
TDI
weak sauce, the qloader seems so much better, considering it could be used for programming a hwy trip , or for more power, well now im stumped. Im guessing the RC chip is also around 400, but would have to mail off my ecu, well il think about it, thanks for the tips

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
If the car is at operating temperature (like 180-190+) the fuel map in the ECU doesn't allow any fuel when starting until the motor is spinning at something like 230 rpms. If you have a weak battery or starter, the car will not start until it cools down or you bump start it. It's something silly the VW thought was a good idea. A good and most important knowledgeable tuner will fix the fuel mapping to eliminate this problem. If they don't know about it find another tuner to do your remap.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
dieselfueler said:
If the car is at operating temperature (like 180-190+) the fuel map in the ECU doesn't allow any fuel when starting until the motor is spinning at something like 230 rpms. If you have a weak battery or starter, the car will not start until it cools down or you bump start it. It's something silly the VW thought was a good idea. A good and most important knowledgeable tuner will fix the fuel mapping to eliminate this problem. If they don't know about it find another tuner to do your remap.
I don't think any of the more well known tuners on this board would omit this.

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
I have an upsolute 2 tune on my car (came with the car) It is not great spikes my turbo, I am planning on getting a rc tune at the end of this month. I would not recomend upsolute, I even read some where on here that they don't even do tdis anymore, or that they haven't kept up with the times. Hope this helps. P.S. this tune will allow over 28 psi of boost which is very bad.

Jordan_Elias

Veteran Member
TDI
interesting, well i doubt i would head with upsolute then, Ive been thinking and might just end up waiting for if and when i get a newer tdi so i can just get the q loader from kerma or something. If im looking at 00's what is most recomended? I want the alh motor still so, 01, 02, 03 ..??

gragall78

TDI
dodge caliber crd
why dont you go to race-chip.com. there based in germany, i put one in my car and its very good, 40bhp more power and the cheapest tuning box on the market trust me i've done alot of resech. ;)

BJC

TDI
Jetta Sport TDI 2004
I have had Simon "chip" three of my cars (03 Jetta TDI, 04 Jetta TDI, and 1996 Volvo 850R) and I have been very happy with the performance gain each time. I know that Upsolute has a bad reputation on these forums but my personal experience has been good.

Since you are in Edmonton you have other options. There is a place called Autobraun in Edmonton. You also have Campbell Performance for a tuning box. Also in Calgary there is Concept 1. I don't have the web adresses handy but just google them.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Jordan_Elias said:
interesting, well i doubt i would head with upsolute then, Ive been thinking and might just end up waiting for if and when i get a newer tdi so i can just get the q loader from kerma or something. If im looking at 00's what is most recomended? I want the alh motor still so, 01, 02, 03 ..??
Why downgrade?

Your 99.5 has a LUK clutch that will easily hold 250ftlbs of torque compared to the crap SACHS units found on the newer cars.

You'd be crazy to dump the 99.5 and jump back into another ALH...

I don't know if any tuners do this but you could get your ECU socketed and get them to send you the physical chips for you to install yourself.

Jordan_Elias

Veteran Member
TDI
my 99.5 has 315 000 km's with a failing dmf which needs replacing. I have some bigger upgrades in mind in the not so near future, (spring) (parking it for the winter) and i think ive decided i would rather have an 01 or 02 with less km's. With the upgrades i would want, chip, nozzles, i would probably have to look into replacing the clutch anyhow and i would rather have a programmer instead of just one chip. Seems like more bang for the buck. THE only thing that keeps pulling me back is that i bought this car with a 6 spd tranny in it. . but i guess i could always install one in an 02, with an upgraded clutch and be just as happy :)

Jordan_Elias

Veteran Member
TDI
if its possible to get the ecu socketed, is it possible or even reasonably feasible to have a chip for maxium power and one for maximum mileage? i know getting a basic one could potentially increase both but if the numbers are better i wouldnt mind having both, and just swapping them when a road trip is in store. Or ive heard of having a remote? which allows switching between chips, is this possible? or am i just blowing smoke outa my tailpipe here. har har . The only thing im concerned about is that if i want to do mods such as the chip, inkectors, short throw shifter and such, im afraid it would just put added stress on a somewhat older motor (synchros, aging turbo, etc., rather than just get a newer motor and put the same mods on.

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
I had a Rocketchip in my 99.5 that was great. The engine just blew on it (unsure exactly what's wrong but it's bleeding oil). It had 423,000km on it when it died and it had nothing to do with the chip (I had the chip put in when I had just over 200,000km on the car).

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
Jordan_Elias said:
if its possible to get the ecu socketed, is it possible or even reasonably feasible to have a chip for maxium power and one for maximum mileage? i know getting a basic one could potentially increase both but if the numbers are better i wouldnt mind having both, and just swapping them when a road trip is in store. Or ive heard of having a remote? which allows switching between chips, is this possible? or am i just blowing smoke outa my tailpipe here. har har . The only thing im concerned about is that if i want to do mods such as the chip, inkectors, short throw shifter and such, im afraid it would just put added stress on a somewhat older motor (synchros, aging turbo, etc., rather than just get a newer motor and put the same mods on.
get your ecu socketed i did and once its socketed you can pop new chips in or out when you upgrade or need different maps . as with kerma or rocket chip or aligator you get free re- tunes they just send you new chips when you upgrade . or you can even buy a flash zilla device and when you get a new tune they just send the files via the internet and you can flash the chips yourself via your printer port. the firts hard step is to get your ecu socketed once thats doenyoure in the pound seats. dont worry about stress on these cars the only thing taht goes quickly is the stock clutch due to the massive tourque you get off chip and injectors. you will already have a chip for mpg and for power you just have to use your right foot to control it , basically you will get more mpg when you upgrade ijectors and chip when your driving normally . mailny down to cleaner and better atomisation of the injectors and when you want power its all there when you stick your foot hard down . on average my miliage went up 4mpg when i had chip and injectors done and i drive quite hard

Last edited: