So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, good bye!

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Hi all, it brings me great regret that I must inform you that I have traded my 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem. in for this.......

Since my turbo failure, I was having hard time trusting my Passat again. I couldn't take a chance that myself and/or wife and kids could possibly get hurt if the turbo failure happened again on a busy interstate again. My kids and I were lucky we didn't get hurt the first time.

Onto the new car, its a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit w/ the 5.7L. I was having a hard time deciding whether I wanted to get the Ecodiesel or not. In the end I chose gas, mostly b/c my daily commute round trip is a whopping 12 miles. And they didn't have any fully loaded Summits with Ecodiesel and the Blu-ray entertainment. lol!

But just wanted to say Thanks to anyone I have gotten help from over the past 2 years. I have learned quite a bit about TDI's Thanks to some folks on this forum.

I also have a few things from my Passat that I won't be needing anymore...euro headlight switch, 85%+ left of a 5 gallon pail of Optilube XPD, quite a few headlight bulbs and fog light bulbs for the Passat, Passat Car-go mat and blocks and 2 VW emergency kits, and a Passat trunk net, and there may be more I'm forgetting. If anyone is interested in any of those items just PM me, I am in the Northern VA area.

Thank again! I'll still be here on the forums, just mostly a lurker for now on, lol!

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Good luck. I just never heard of anybody ever get hurt when the turbo fails.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

c-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
North American Passat 2012 TDI SEL (bought back march 2018)
Good luck. I just never of anybody ever get hurt when the turbo fails.:rolleyes:
Your message came a little unclear, but let's hope nobody have a turbo failure while accelerating in the highway ramp and trying to beat that 18 wheeler going 65 MPH, for example... I forgot now the company running that ad.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
IIRC his turbo went on the side of a highway with nowhere to pull off to the side, thus sticking half out in the slow lane.

Dangerous at almost any time of day.

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
Good luck. I just never of anybody ever get hurt when the turbo fails.:rolleyes:
Thank you friend!

Your message came a little unclear, but let's hope nobody have a turbo failure while accelerating in the highway ramp and trying to beat that 18 wheeler going 65 MPH, for example... I forgot now the company running that ad.
lol! When my turbo failed, the 3rd vehicle to just barely miss the backend of my Passat was an 18 wheeler! lol!

IIRC his turbo went on the side of a highway with nowhere to pull off to the side, thus sticking half out in the slow lane.

Dangerous at almost any time of day.
It happened on I-95N while crossing the Woodrow Wilson Bridge to get in Maryland coming from Northern VA. I was actually stuck 2nd lane on the left, 4 lanes total, and I couldn't get over fast enough due to being stuck in limp mode. So happy my kids and I made it out safely.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Good luck with the new ride. 18 MPG will be a good day I suppose. :)

Did you fill out a NHTSA safety report?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Good luck with the Jeep! It looks nice, but I'm sure it's pretty thirsty.

It was nice chatting with you... don't be a stranger. :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Good luck with the new ride. It looks nice...my wife would be drooling....she likes thirsty SUV. Sorry about your TDI experience. Like was stated please fill in the nhtsa form for the turbo failure if you have not done so already.

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
Good luck with the new ride. 18 MPG will be a good day I suppose. :)

Did you fill out a NHTSA safety report?
LOL! My commutes are much shorter these days, and after getting a turbo failure in my Passat, I was a little gun shy to go for the Ecodiesel in the Grand Cherokee, which is an Italian engine built by VM Motori. And from what I have heard the Ecodiesel V6 built by them is pretty stout and reliable, but in the end it was the fact they had a fully loaded 5.7L there with all the goodies. lol. And I'm sorry I never got around to submitting the NHTSA safety report for my failure.

lol, yes I can foresee it will be harder on my pocket in terms of fuel, but only if I drive it? lol! It was great chatting with you as well my friend, you were one of the main persons on here who I learned a great deal about TDI's from, and I feel I still don't jack b/c theres just so much to learn about! lol! But I won't completely disappear from here, and if the NoVA folks have a get together again, I'll do my best to make it out there!

Its a Chrylser ... you'll need luck and money ....
lol! So far I haven't been burned by this Jeep yet, although its only been 3 days since I bought it. lol! But my family's track record with VW for the past 2 years since we decided to buy VW's has been awful. 3 VW's, 2 of which have had major failures. So I feel that I needed luck and money for the VW's my family has had, b/c I sure wouldn't want to pay for a turbo failure out of my pocket once the warranty is up. But never say never I guess, I do love my Passat TDI, I was a little sad as I was taking off the tags on it. And then I went back to the dealer yesterday and it was sitting on the lot, no tags, all nice and cleaned up, waiting for another owner, very sad indeed. In the future I may come back to the Passat TDI.

Last edited:

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Hope your experience with the Jeep goes well. I'm mostly a Chrysler guy, and I've had quite a number of Chryslers over the years. My wife's last 5 cars have been Chryslers. 2 Grand Cherokees, 2 Town and Country's (both leases), and our current Dodge Durango (lease).

The only Chryslers we had trouble with were unfortunately were the Grand Cherokee's. our first was a 1995, which we bought used. Had lots of problems with it, but wife loved the truck, so we bought a brand new one in 2001. The 2001 had lots of problems, (trans went out 2x in 75,000 miles, window actuators went out, radiator failed, liftgate lock broke, wheel bearings went, numerous problems with brakes and rotors...ultimately Chrysler went with different calipers on bigger rotors), cracked manifolds, and multiple AC system failures. We traded it shortly after we paid it off as it was averaging more than the payment to repair it. When I went to the dealer and complained, they said all of the problems I had were fairly normal....but not normal to all happen to the same Jeep. Our 2 town and country's were flawless. Our Dodge Durango is about 2 years old without any major issues.

My wife was looking at a Durango RT with the Hemi, but we went with the V6. We average about 17-19MPG with it. I had the 5.7 Hemi in my Dodge Magnum, got around 12-14MPG in the City and up to 23MPG on the highway with MDS system. All around average was about 16-18 Seemed like I was always filling that tank, and it seems like my wifes' 25 gallon Durango tank is always empty.

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
Hope your experience with the Jeep goes well. I'm mostly a Chrysler guy, and I've had quite a number of Chryslers over the years. My wife's last 5 cars have been Chryslers. 2 Grand Cherokees, 2 Town and Country's (both leases), and our current Dodge Durango (lease).

The only Chryslers we had trouble with were unfortunately were the Grand Cherokee's. our first was a 1995, which we bought used. Had lots of problems with it, but wife loved the truck, so we bought a brand new one in 2001. The 2001 had lots of problems, (trans went out 2x in 75,000 miles, window actuators went out, radiator failed, liftgate lock broke, wheel bearings went, numerous problems with brakes and rotors...ultimately Chrysler went with different calipers on bigger rotors), cracked manifolds, and multiple AC system failures. We traded it shortly after we paid it off as it was averaging more than the payment to repair it. When I went to the dealer and complained, they said all of the problems I had were fairly normal....but not normal to all happen to the same Jeep. Our 2 town and country's were flawless. Our Dodge Durango is about 2 years old without any major issues.

My wife was looking at a Durango RT with the Hemi, but we went with the V6. We average about 17-19MPG with it. I had the 5.7 Hemi in my Dodge Magnum, got around 12-14MPG in the City and up to 23MPG on the highway with MDS system. All around average was about 16-18 Seemed like I was always filling that tank, and it seems like my wifes' 25 gallon Durango tank is always empty.
Thank you! I hope my experience is a good one as well, lol! Previously I was a Japanese car guy, had good experiences with my 1994 Nissan Altima, until I totaled it. I still have my 1998 Integra with 231K miles on it, burns a butt load of oil though but that is common in high mileage B-series VTEC engines. Then I bought a 2007 Tahoe, which runs well but burns alot of oil as well, it has 175K on it. There is a piston ring alignment issue that GM isn't confessing to on the 2007 models. Then I bought a 2012 Tiguan SEL got screwed by VW on that with the transmission update, traded that for my 2013 Passat which had a turbo failure, then theres my mom's 2012 Passat 2.5L which had a tooth break off of the crankshaft gear and the timing chain/belt slipped, engine needed rebuilding, luckily under warranty. And now I have a Grand Cherokee, hopefully I won't have to many horror stories with this vehicle. lol! So far my track record shows good experience with Japanese car brands, but most of their exterior designs just don't appeal to me anymore. lol!

VtdiW

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Good Luck

Hey Typerod.

Sorry to hear about the recent Passat problems.

Good luck with the Jeep. I've owned a lot of Chrysler products & have never had any major issues. Hope the same for you.

Dan

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Typerod.

Sorry to hear about the recent Passat problems.

Good luck with the Jeep. I've owned a lot of Chrysler products & have never had any major issues. Hope the same for you.

Dan
Hi Dan, Thanks for the luck! I already need it! LOL! There is an issue with the front left & right side CV boots, where is seems is a vendor assembly issue, the clamps holding the boots don't seem to be tighted down to the proper spec, and the boots separate, and grease is flung all over the place. My left side boot separated (only 30 miles on the car mind you, it may have happened at an earlier mileage, but didnt think to check it until I got more paranoid after reading a thread about it at Jeep Garage, http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/grease-in-both-front-wheels-normal-73976.html), and my right side is about to blow out. I'm glad I didn't drive it much. Other wise I would have an even bigger mess. I had it towed to the dealer last Saturday, and Chrysler only gives loaner vehicles if you have their extended warranty, which I do but only takes effect after the 3yr 36K BTB expires. But I got a free rental anyway. Today I got the call from the SA, and both front axles are being replaced under warranty.

I swear my luck with new vehicles is terrible, I haven't had a new car w/o any major issues since my 1998 Integra Type R, every new car after that which is a count of 4, including this Grand Cherokee, I have had some major issue with. I'm still in shock, car has only 30 miles on it! LOL!

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Wow that sucks. You think they replace them before they sold the car:rolleyes:

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow that sucks. You think they replace them before they sold the car:rolleyes:
I don't think Chrysler knew of the issue. They may know now or will soon enough, lol. It can be a safety hazard if that grease gets on the rotors or brake pads, very small chance that it will happen, but anything is possible. There are no TSB's for it and no recalls yet.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I would do same thing if I was not promised to my wife I will not replace car next 4 years at least.
I had too many cars since I moved to US 15 y.o.
So I stuck with it but I like so far.

My2013TDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Its a Chrylser ... you'll need luck and money ....
I've had 4 Ram 1500s since 2007 and I've never had a single issue with any of them.

As far as I'm concerned, Chrysler builds some of the best vehicles on the road... And I say that with experience behind the wheel.

Bobmws

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
I've had 4 Ram 1500s since 2007 and I've never had a single issue with any of them.
As far as I'm concerned, Chrysler builds some of the best vehicles on the road... And I say that with experience behind the wheel.
4 vehicles in 7 years doesn't say much for their longevity....

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I've driven Mopar since the late 80s and left them behind when I bought my TDI.

They don't honour warranties even when you have cooperate on the phone. Not worth one single red cent IMHO.

Good luck.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Still driving my 2002 Ram 1500 SLT with 237,000 on the truck. Only odd thing in the last three years was a passenger window switch @ $25. Normal maintenance and it's a 5.9L. Solid truck.

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
Just from the range of experiences here, its safe to say EVERY manufacturer of cars has happy customers and not so happy customers, lol!