So happy new OEM battery

jimmyto

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI 1.9 Diesel
I've had two aftermarket batteries barely lasting 3 years each and having a very difficult time cranking at -5 or below. Had enough. Went to the VW dealership this morning and bought a new battery. I was surprised to see that it was actually a bigger battery than the ones sold aftermarket and rated 47N. Why wouldn't these battery makers make a similar battery for the Golf
Tdi as the original one? Battery cost was $169 with taxes.

I can't wait to see the difference.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I never did find the proper battery at Canadian tire....got a wallymart for 107 plus taxes. Time will tell. It is a 47n, and just fits in snugly, same as original size.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg

Went to the VW dealership this morning and bought a new battery....
You bought an OE battery not an OEM battery as the title suggested

Parts that you buy from the dealer are OE - Original Equipment - parts i.e. battery, oil filter etc.

OE parts are installed in the car on the assembly line

OE Parts:

Battery

Oil Filter

OEM - Original Equipment Manufaturer - parts i.e. battery, oil filter etc. are equivalent parts to O.E. parts

OEM parts aren't installed in the car on the assembly line

OEM Parts:

Battery

Oil Filter

//S POWER

Last edited:

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
You bought an OE battery not an OEM battery as the title suggested

Parts that you buy from the dealer are OE - Original Equipment - parts i.e. battery, oil filter etc.

OEM - Original Equipment Manufaturer - parts i.e. battery, oil filter etc. are equivalent parts to O.E. parts

OEM parts aren't installed in the car on the assembly line.
Interesting. I disagree. OEM and OE mean the same thing with OEM in more common usage.

What you define as OEM I would call aftermarket.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Interesting. I disagree. OEM and OE mean the same thing with OEM in more common usage.
The difference is branding. OE parts are marketed under the VW brand, OEM parts are made by the same manufacturer but marketed under their own brand.

Simon

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
So a Fuel filter made by Bosch sold at the dealer is OE.
A fuel filter sold at a store made by Bosch is OEM.
A fuel filter made by company XYZ is aftermarket.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So a Fuel filter made by Bosch sold at the dealer is OE.
A fuel filter sold at a store made by Bosch is OEM.
A fuel filter made by company XYZ is aftermarket.
P2B said:
The difference is branding. OE parts are marketed under the VW brand, OEM parts are made by the same manufacturer but marketed under their own brand.
Yeap

migro said:

What you define as OEM I would call aftermarket.
You are completely confused.

On any VAG OE parts you would see these wordings in several international languages

"Original Teille. Genuine Parts. Pieces d'Origine. Ricambi Originali. Recambios Originales. Pecas Originalni dily"

While on the OEM Hengst oil filter you would see the wordings

"Erstausrüster-Qualität. Original Equipment Quality. Calidad de Equipamiento Original. Qualite d'Euipment d'Origine"

Last edited:

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
And no, it was a MAXX or something like that...fits, works...price was right. It ain't OE, and I am not sure if it is OEM....definatly aftermarket...works good, lasts long time. I am a happy camper. Use caution, there are some geeks around here....

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
You are completely confused.

On any VAG OE parts you would see these wordings in several international languages

"Original Teille. Genuine Parts. Pieces d'Origine. Ricambi Originali. Recambios Originales. Pecas Originalni dily"

While on the OEM Hengst oil filter you would see the wordings

"Erstausrüster-Qualität. Original Equipment Quality. Calidad de Equipamiento Original. Qualite d'Euipment d'Origine"
To be honest I think you've invented your schema as I've never come across your definitions before. Not that it really matters.

The VAG (VW) part is OE or OEM - interchangeable. Both mean that the part is sourced from the Original Equipment Manufacturer - i.e. VAG.

The Hengst filter (and the Energizer battery) is aftermarket. It's irrelevant that the Hengst box says "Original Equipment Quality." Hengst can claim whatever they want. It may well be original equipment quality but because it's not a VW part it's aftermarket. Now if Hengst supplied the same part to VW and VW sold it in a VW box, then the part would be OEM. Or OE if you prefer.

Last edited:

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
Reading this post the other day I thought to myself "I really should replace my battery as preventative maintenance". Well, procrastination never pays off...my car wouldn't start this afternoon when I got off work and a Ford Focus didn't have the juice to boost it. Fun times. A new OEM/OE??? Battery is going in tomorrow.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
my car wouldn't start this afternoon when I got off work and a Ford Focus didn't have the juice to boost it.
To boost a TDI, especially in cold weather, you need to connect the cables then run the other vehicle at a high idle for a few minutes before attempting to start.

Simon

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
To boost a TDI, especially in cold weather, you need to connect the cables then run the other vehicle at a high idle for a few minutes before attempting to start.

Simon
Oh yeah, definitely tried that. Left it charging for 5-10 mins then reved up the car but still no go. It took 2 paralleled batteries to get it to start. :p she was really dead.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Should have just bump started it. It's easier than you think.

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
Should have just bump started it. It's easier than you think.
This wasn't my first rodeo ;p
Tried bumping it, but on a bumpy gravel road with a few inches of fresh snow I couldn't get it going, in 1st or 2nd.

bobpaul

TDI
sold :'( (formerly 2002 jetta tdi)
To be honest I think you've invented your schema as I've never come across your definitions before. Not that it really matters.

The VAG (VW) part is OE or OEM - interchangeable. Both mean that the part is sourced from the Original Equipment Manufacturer - i.e. VAG.
I've seen this distinction elsewhere, so it's not something TDI_Power made up or even members of this forum made up. VAG makes neither batteries nor Oil Filters. They contract that stuff out, hence the OE/OEM differentiation. When the OEM sells to VAG to sell to you, it's branded VAG and is an OE part. When the OEM sells directly to you, it's branded by the OEM.

The Hengst filter (and the Energizer battery) is aftermarket. It's irrelevant that the Hengst box says "Original Equipment Quality."
Right. But what's important is that Hengst makes the OE equipment for VAG under contract. So when you buy a Hengst branded filter, it's made by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (though it might be made to slightly different specs than VAG required for their order). Generally, OE and OEM parts are the same, though, as the OEM doesn't want to run two assembly lines.

In the case of the batteries, Johnson Controls I believe makes the OE battery under contract for VAG. Johnson Controls also sells batteries under a bunch of brands such as ACDelco, Energizer, Autozone, Interstate, and Pepboys.

It is arguably correct to say that the Energizer battery is OEM since it's manufactured by the same company that makes the OE battery and likely came from the same assembly line as the OE battery. (Though I'm not sure I buy that... Johnson Controls operates assembly lines all over... from New Jersey to China. I've yet to see evidence that the Energizer brand isn't coming off a lower quality line than the OE parts... clearly the OE and Energizer battery have different specs. They're both made by Johnson Controls, but how much does that matter?)

jettaboosttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
i myself also just bought one this morning, in canada. cost me about 170 with taxes and everything, not too bad from a stealership. Already i am pleased, car is rolling over quicker and not hesitating while starting.

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
My battery is original (9+ yrs old) Still starts great - even at -25C. But I know I'm living on borrowed time - probably will replace after this winter. Don't really want to get stranded at work - like I did when my lift pump crapped out (tow truck home) I'll probably get the Walmart Energizer - good price and gets good reviews from guys on this site

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
I don't understand some people.

Dude, you have had 9 good years with that original battery. Why on earth would you consider replacing it with something else???

That doesn't make any sense to me.

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf

Dude, you have had 9 good years with that original battery. Why on earth would you consider replacing it with something else???

I may reconsider :rolleyes: ... I think the energizer is $30-40 cheaper and from what I've read they come from the same manufacturer ?? Its not a done deal yet .... decision will be made in the summer/fall. I think part of the reason my battery has lasted has been regular maintenance (checking the cells) and the use of my battery tender - which has a desulfication program.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
So what's the verdict here...go to the dealership or wallymart? Tried starting her up this morning after sitting for a week, and she's dead.
Depends how desperate you are for a battery and how close you are to a dealer or wally world.

I picked one up from the dealer $108 plus tax no core (varies by dealer) my original battery lasted over 8yrs

Wally World (Energizer) 765cca is $139.97 (plus core) http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/eversta...011&startSearch=&fromSearchBox=true&addFacet=

Crappy Tire (Exide) is $139 plus core http://www.canadiantire.ca/automoti...tion&bmUID=1361404829025#search_result_anchor

or you can go to a Interstate dealer and get a remanufactured battery for $50 plus core (3-6mth warranty)

Energizer has the longest warranty.

If you arent worried about your battery cover you can buy a bigger Energizer 760cca for $117.97 http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/eversta...ery&startSearch=&fromSearchBox=true&addFacet=

Last edited:

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Dude buying an OEM battery makes more sense than buying an OE battery because it pumps out 90-125 CCA more than OE battery which is only 640 CCA. OE battery has very high resistance vs OEM battery which has lower resistance. Besides, it's a lot cheaper and longer warranty.

When my Energizer battery 3-yr free replacement warranty came close to the expire date, I went back to Sams and had it replaced for a free no question asked new battery. I now have a new 8-yr warranty with 3-yr free replacement battery. No VW dealer will give me a new battery for free. A new free battery every 3 years, sweet very sweet.

Last edited:

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've seen this distinction elsewhere, so it's not something TDI_Power made up or even members of this forum made up. VAG makes neither batteries nor Oil Filters. They contract that stuff out, hence the OE/OEM differentiation. When the OEM sells to VAG to sell to you, it's branded VAG and is an OE part. When the OEM sells directly to you, it's branded by the OEM.

Right. But what's important is that Hengst makes the OE equipment for VAG under contract. So when you buy a Hengst branded filter, it's made by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (though it might be made to slightly different specs than VAG required for their order). Generally, OE and OEM parts are the same, though, as the OEM doesn't want to run two assembly lines.

In the case of the batteries, Johnson Controls I believe makes the OE battery under contract for VAG. Johnson Controls also sells batteries under a bunch of brands such as ACDelco, Energizer, Autozone, Interstate, and Pepboys.

It is arguably correct to say that the Energizer battery is OEM since it's manufactured by the same company that makes the OE battery and likely came from the same assembly line as the OE battery. (Though I'm not sure I buy that... Johnson Controls operates assembly lines all over... from New Jersey to China. I've yet to see evidence that the Energizer brand isn't coming off a lower quality line than the OE parts... clearly the OE and Energizer battery have different specs. They're both made by Johnson Controls, but how much does that matter?)
Thank you very much. You explained it very well!!!

To be honest I think you've invented your schema as I've never come across your definitions before.....
See post #21a

Last edited:

amacd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta

+1, I replaced mine after 8 years .(5 of the years were spent in Northbay and everyone knows its the cold winters that destroys your battery.) I cheaped out and got the energizer from wall mart. It gave up two years later on the coldest day of the winter. Took it back to wallmart and they did'nt have a replacement in stock.(2 days to get one in) Only good thing out of the deal was that I got one from the dealer brought them the reciept and they paid for up to the cost of the failed energizer.