So.... ARP head studs are nowhere?

krisclewell

TDI
ALH
I've called over 9000 places about head studs this morning. No one has a set. Does anyone have a line on some or can help? Seems like there must be a shortage....

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I highly suspect your claims as fiction.
urotuning and europartimport both list them as in stock
ID parts has them on backorder but not out of stock
ECS has them in stock as well
took me all of 2 minutes to look for you.
have you actually tried ordering any of them or did you give up after 9,000 tries!!!!!!!!!
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-arp-parts/cylinder-head-stud-set/204-4706~arp/

besides, why do you need them? you do know you cant just drop them in and expect them to work off the bat. the block and head must be prepped and honed for them or you get distortions.

If you search for the part number
204-4706
you will find a few listings on ebay as well. One is in CA but looks like its the last one in stock in the USA so i would hurry and order what you can.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
As a counter point... I installed my head studs nearly two years ago using the method in this link here, and have had zero issues.

I previously wasn't having any head gasket issues, these were installed as a prevention measure since I was upping my engines power. Your mileage may vary.

krisclewell

TDI
ALH
I highly suspect your claims as fiction.
urotuning and europartimport both list them as in stock
ID parts has them on backorder but not out of stock
ECS has them in stock as well
took me all of 2 minutes to look for you.
have you actually tried ordering any of them or did you give up after 9,000 tries!!!!!!!!!
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-arp-parts/cylinder-head-stud-set/204-4706~arp/

besides, why do you need them? you do know you cant just drop them in and expect them to work off the bat. the block and head must be prepped and honed for them or you get distortions.

If you search for the part number
204-4706
you will find a few listings on ebay as well. One is in CA but looks like its the last one in stock in the USA so i would hurry and order what you can.
I highly suspect your attitude sucks. Call these places and see if they're in stock. They're not. I even called ARP. They're backordered until March. But thanks for all the advice sherlock.

krisclewell

TDI
ALH
As a counter point... I installed my head studs nearly two years ago using the method in this link here, and have had zero issues.

I previously wasn't having any head gasket issues, these were installed as a prevention measure since I was upping my engines power. Your mileage may vary.
I am going to be running a much larger turbo with more boost. Was just hoping for some extra security.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
It's definitely a supply chain thing. That goes for any industry that requires metal. Lead times have gone exponentially up in my world (tool designer) which has really hung us out to dry on a lot of our programs. Even more so, because of this, prices have gone up.

Head studs aren't necessarily required for higher boost (depending on the levels you'll be running) but they are good insurance.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
There's also the McMaster option in the other thread linked above. A lot cheaper too, if it works.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,