SNOWSCREENS, effect/Countereffect

TDIsmokin

Veteran Member
For all of you cutting out snowscreens, remeber one obvious thing. If you cut the screen out as I recently did you HAVE TO check your air filter more often. I just checked my airbox after 3000 miles running to Florida and back and the air filter was MUCH dirtier and the airbox was loaded with sand and grit which I vaccumed out. There was more stuff in there in one 3000 mile trip than had accumulated in the time I have had the car. I have 22,500 kms on car NOW.
Just pay attention!!
Best Regards.

------------------
TDIsmokin
Claude

I am an elitist. I drive a TDI!!

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Claude:

Welcome back! I respectfully disagree that removing the snowscreen increases maintenance. If anything, it reduces cleaning / maintenance.

Example - With the snowscreen in tact, it will plug up and cause drivability problems every 3 to 6 months. Mine was half-way plug in only one month!

With a K&N Filtercharger and the snowscreen removed, you really don't need to worry about a few bugs in the bottom of the air box, which could get by with annual cleanings.

In conclusion, in order to clean a plugged snowscreen, you have to remove the air box as well.

M

mickey

I think his point is that the MAIN filter will require more frequent service. But it's a lot easier than messing with the pre-screen, expecially in a New Beetle.

-mickey

S

SkyPup

Claude, I have a K&N in both the stock OEM airboxes in my two TDI's. I drilled three one inch holes on the bottom of the far right side of the airbox. I have seen no dirt, sand, or dust in mine in the last 20,000 miles on either ride and I live off-road and travel graded dirt roads daily. I put the holes in there for a little more airflow when needed although it is warm underhood air (when I plumb in a larger air intake to the box eventually, I will simply cover the holes with duct tape to close them off).

If you can, toss the OEM paper airfilter and replace it with an oil drenched cotton wire one like the K&N. It will last the lifetime of the car with proper maintanence and makes a good improvement in combination with Wett chip and removed MAF screens too!

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
In early spring when I put my K&N in, I noticed a lot of sand and dirt in the airbox and that was before I ever knew I had a lower screen and how clogged it was.

------------------
Gregor Switca

Torque is a beautiful thing.

Hondo

Veteran Member
I removed that POS screen also, and would like to blow out the K&N with compressed air every 3k or so. But when I installed the K&N it said not to do that. Anybody got any idea why not, or is it BS. I could see if the air pressure was jacked up it might break the fibers in the filter. But I don’t see a problem with blowing it out under a little lower pressure to get the bugs and some of the heavy stuff out? Any thoughts?
Hondo

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Hondo:

As the K&N Filtercharger slowly gets plugged up, it becomes more efficient in keeping out harmful debries.

I plan on cleaning mine every year or every 30,000 miles.

As another precaution, blowing out the filtercharger might also damage the wiring and it's enclosed fibers.

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
Hondo

I used to inspect mine on my previous vw fairly often, and would use a shop vac with one of those soft bristle brushes when it didn't need full service. Helped a bit.