Snowball Effect

SStulberg

Hey Everyone I’m new to the bulletin board. I have been looking for performance improvements to my TDI. Can anyone answer some or all of my questions?

From what I have read so far the Wett chip seems to be the way to go.

I have a 1996 TDI Passat wagon Canadian Specs.

What happens when I go Wett?

How much torque will I get and over what range?

Will the additional torque require better tires to control torque steer?
Will I need to beef up the transaxil, clutch, drive shafts and/or cv joints?
`

How much Moore heat is created?

Will I have to make changes to my cooling system?
Will the oxygen sensor, catalytic converter, exhaust pipe and/or muffler burn out sooner?
Will I need to improve the heat shielding?

How will the life span of my engine be effected?

How big does this snowball get?

I’m looking forward to some answers.

colucci

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1998 Green
Wetterauer (and others) took care not to over boost the power. They make chips that deliver 140 hp from our engines (A tuner with this was featured a couple issues back in European Car). But, they won't sell them to the public because of the "snowball" effect. The idea is to provide more power without the need for other mods. That said, you will probably want better tires when your current ones wear out.

Check out the archives. Clay Peyton posted some good info. I think the boost goes from 12 psi to 18 or so. I forget the exact #'s... He also posted oil temps during max boost. All in all, the results seemed to cause no major concern.

D'nardo

------------------
Smokin into the new millenium...
98 Jetta TDI mit Wetterauer chip

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
SStulberg, the longevity of the drivetrain depends on your driving style. The Wett chip should not make any appreciable difference to your car's clutch, flywheel, transaxle, CV joints, etc, etc, unless you drive your car abusively. Same goes for the motor itself and the exhaust system. If you're abusing your car now, the Wett chip should make it easier to do so, or, if you Wett it and drive at about the same pace as you do now, it won't make any real difference.

You'll notice that I don't have the Wett chips but instead have a Hopa box. Same difference, just done differently. The Wett is much smoother from what I hear.

------------------
'98 Jetta TDi with Hopa Module and custom short shifter