Snow Tires, what's your choice ?

ejm4

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I live in Central PA and normally we average about 30 - 40 inches of snow per winter. Last year was an off year and only received 5 inches! This will be my first winter with the TDI Passat and I am considering a second set of rims and snow tires.

What have others ran on their VW and been happy with? Not looking for a studded tire.

MikePA

TDI
2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 4dr DSG TDI w/Sunroof & Nav xxxPL7AJ5EMxxxxxxx
Hour east of Pittsburgh here. I'm interested in this one myself. My normal go to isn't available in my SportWagen's size. (not much is) Looks like I'll be going with Firestone for the first time ever.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Nokian Hakka's. There are 1 or 2 others that compete for grip, but none that win out for total combination of grip/longevity/noise/economy.

MikePA

TDI
2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 4dr DSG TDI w/Sunroof & Nav xxxPL7AJ5EMxxxxxxx
Personally, I love Cooper tires! Too bad they aren't made in the size I need for my 2014 JSW... edit: that are also what I want. :)

Last edited:

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Depends on what type of snow is the biggest problem where you drive. While we certainly get deep snow on occasion here the bigger/more common driving issue is ice and/or packed glazed snow. For those conditions I've had the best luck with blizzaks. Tradeoff is a very soft tread and short tread life. My only other personal experience was with a set of continental I inherited with a car. I wasn't impressed but, to be fair, they were at least half worn so may not have been a fair comparison.

Have read great things about the nokians and good about ice-x (michelin). I'm not sure how the nokians are n ice vs snow.

Most have said on this and other car/tire sites that pretty much any snow will significantly outperform all-season tires in snow.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I buy whatever I can snag for cheap in the Spring closeouts. Got a set of Goodyear something or another for $30 apiece for the Golf. They'll age out before I wear them out, this coming Winter will be the fifth season for them. I also have a set of General Altimax Arctic for one of my Passats. Really ANY snow tire is going to be better than ANY summer or even "all season" tire. I swap mine out on the Golf when any actual winter weather threatens, then either take them back off OR drive another car. The Passat will wear them all season long, but it is a spare (AWD) car, so...

I think if this is your only car, and you are not able to swap them out as needed and will put them on in October and keep them on regardless of road conditions all Winter long until April, you may want something that is better all around and tolerable on dry/cold roads like one of the northern European or Russian made/inspired tires (the ones with names that look like someone passed out on their keyboard). But for just using in occasional snow conditions, any name brand tire will work wonders and won't break the bank.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
After 12 years up here in Concud, New Hampshiyuh, my choice is to move south where it will never be an issue for me again.

Except when I go visit my son and go skiing, of course!

Cheers,

PH

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm a firm believer in dedicated snow tires, but I was caught in a snow storm in Ohio a couple years ago with the General Altimax RT43 all seasons on my car, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well those tires performed in the snow. I tend to put snow tires on when I need them, so, like oilhammer, they age out before the wear out. Last winter we were pretty much snow-less so I may try this winter (or part of it) on all seasons.

Snow pic of IBW in Wisconsin beginning of last year. Those are Michelin X-Ice 3s

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Extreme Winter Contacts are sadly gone. I had a set for my Wagon and loved them. Great in the snow, but also, unlike Blizzaks, quiet and confidence inspiring to drive in dry weather. I would have bought another set in a heartbeat had they been available.

ejm4

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
My new Cooper tires arrived this morning. Plan to wait closer to the end of next month before I install them.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Those look very much like Conti's now discontinued Extreme Winter Contacts. Wonder if Cooper bought the molds.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I'm a firm believer in dedicated snow tires, but I was caught in a snow storm in Ohio a couple years ago with the General Altimax RT43 all seasons on my car, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well those tires performed in the snow.
When I had to replace my (aged-out) summer tires (Bridgestone Ecopias; now extinct), I looked at the RT43s. My tech said if I was going to run one set of tires year round, the RT43s had very good snow traction for an all-season, but that I could get several non-winter tires which were quieter and a smoother ride.

I don't drive my car much any more (even pre-pandemic) and tires age out before they wear out, so I'm on General Altimax Arctic 12s for the winter and Firestone Champion Fuel Fighters (stupid name) that my tech hooked me up with for cheap. The Altimaxes are at least 80% as good as the Nokian Hakka Qs they replaced, and the Firestones have been fine so far.