Snow Issues/Tires

rhpot1991

TDI
2012 Passat
I have a 2012 SEL with 18" Hancook Optimo H426 tires. Over giftmas I got to experience my first real snow storm in this car, and I must say it was not a fun experience. This is my first diesel car, so I'm not sure if the issue is how I drive it compared to my past cars, or the tires. I've had wet slippage on these tires as well, so I'm leaning towards them being the issue.

Anyways, I had a heck of a time getting started from a stop in the snow/slush covered roads in PA. Climbing hills was equally painful. Mainly tires slipping, then I'd ease off on the pedal and they would seem to catch some before slipping again. I did some experimenting later on and the slipping didn't seem as bad if I kept the car in 1st gear, but the roads were better at that point so I'm not sure it was a fair test. I even had the car slide down a driveway when parked. There was some ice under the snow on said driveway, but none of the other vehicles had this issue.

So I am currently contemplating replacing the tires with either a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 or Continental ExtremeContact DWS. The Continentals seem to have better weather ratings on tire rack, while the Michelins seem to have better comfort/noise ratings (the noisiness of the Hankcooks also bothers me). Anyone have any recommendations?

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I have a 2012 SEL with 18" Hancook Optimo H426 tires. Over giftmas I got to experience my first real snow storm in this car, and I must say it was not a fun experience. This is my first diesel car, so I'm not sure if the issue is how I drive it compared to my past cars, or the tires. I've had wet slippage on these tires as well, so I'm leaning towards them being the issue.

Anyways, I had a heck of a time getting started from a stop in the snow/slush covered roads in PA. Climbing hills was equally painful. Mainly tires slipping, then I'd ease off on the pedal and they would seem to catch some before slipping again. I did some experimenting later on and the slipping didn't seem as bad if I kept the car in 1st gear, but the roads were better at that point so I'm not sure it was a fair test. I even had the car slide down a driveway when parked. There was some ice under the snow on said driveway, but none of the other vehicles had this issue.

So I am currently contemplating replacing the tires with either a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 or Continental ExtremeContact DWS. The Continentals seem to have better weather ratings on tire rack, while the Michelins seem to have better comfort/noise ratings (the noisiness of the Hankcooks also bothers me). Anyone have any recommendations?
Winter SNOW tires? I downsize two rim sizes and buy the Blizzaks and wheels and have no issues.

rhpot1991

TDI
2012 Passat
Winter SNOW tires? I downsize two rim sizes and buy the Blizzaks and wheels and have no issues.
I was hoping to stick to all seasons. I don't really have the space to store 4 tires.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Tom, is 200% correct. We had Blizzaks on the Toyota and it went around stuck 4x4s. I saved the Blizzaks to put on the Passat and will get around to mounting them on 16" wheels as soon as I make up my mind on which rims to get. I measured the 16" blizzaks agains the 18" stock Contis and there appear to be one inch difference in diameter, which is just perfect for throwing in some cable chains (I think). If you want to go in the snow, don't get multi condition rated tires.

rhpot1991

TDI
2012 Passat
I'm not sure my area warrants snow tires, looks like average snowfall is around 34" (over the past ~50 years). Curious why some of you get smaller snow tires than your normal tires?

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
I'm not sure my area warrants snow tires, looks like average snowfall is around 34" (over the past ~50 years). Curious why some of you get smaller snow tires than your normal tires?
ice/snow buildup in the wheel well. blizzaks for the win.

my audi has them in greece and i also pass 4x4s with chains. my uncle never thinks my little a6 can make it all the way up the village but it almost always does unless there isnt enough clearance.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The ice build up isn't really an issue as you should get the same diameter tire as the OEM 18" size.

But the main reason buying smaller tires/rims is price, for the price of getting a set of 18" snow tires mounted on the rims, I was able to get a seporate set of rims and 16" tires studded.

Seeing that if you don't drive a ton in the snow, I don't think anything is wrong with buying a more aggessive all season.

I've hear Nokian tires offer their WRG2 or something that are hands down the best all season tires in the snow and would be pefrect for you. Saddly tire rack doesn't carry Nokian so you'd have to search some place local.

fenderod

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
If you stick to the all-season category, it won't matter much - they're a compromise from the start. I went from an AWD Subaru to the Passat knowing I would be throwing on a dedicated winter setup. Went with Dunlop Wintersport 3D in 215/55/17 size (effectively same diameter but a bit narrower), and they were awesome in a few inches of slush and hardpack last weekend. I've swapped to snows even on my last two AWD vehicles and it makes a big difference. Even when it's not snowing, the different rubber compound helps with cold weather traction.

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
The guys from the Seattle area typically have a lot more hills and mountains than PA, so they tend to want studded or snow tires for those few days when there is snow on the ground. I would argue they could get by just fine with a set of chains for those few snowy days and mountain runs.

I'm originally from Minnesota, so snow doesn't scare me. I've never owned a set of snow tires on any of my cars, front drive or AWD. I prefer to have a set of true all-season tires, like Michelins, and drive carefully around the slow people in the snow.

Now as far as the Hankooks, I read, and you've confirmed, they have very little traction in the snow. Given I live in Maryland, where it doesn't snow very often, and I have a 4x4 truck, I leave the Passat in the driveway with it's Hankooks, and take the truck. I'm keeping the Hankooks on, only because I'm a cheapskate and I'm waiting for a nail or defect to give me reason enough to swap to the Michelins I have waiting in my garage.

For you, if you don't have the luxury of another car to drive in the snow, I would suggest buying some true all-season tires. You don't need chains or snow tires where you live, in my opinion, if you know how to drive in the snow.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
A set of Blizzak W70s on 16 inch steelies will be cheaper than body work due to an accident. Tire Rack will balance them and ship them to your door.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Seeing that if you don't drive a ton in the snow, I don't think anything is wrong with buying a more aggessive all season.

I've hear Nokian tires offer their WRG2 or something that are hands down the best all season tires in the snow and would be pefrect for you. Saddly tire rack doesn't carry Nokian so you'd have to search some place local.
I got the WR G2s for my Audi A4Q on 12/24 while in Syracuse. Stopping, starting, cornering, wet, dry... they are fantastic. The storm that dropped snow in your area dropped tons of rain in Boston on 12/27, and I had zero hydroplaning in deep, standing water on 93N. In last weekend's snowstorm (also in Boston), they cut trough snow like full-blown snow tires. Now that it's all ice, I am very impressed with their grip. And my fuel economy is better.

My only--and only slightly--negative comment is that they are louder than the banana peel Perellis that they replaced, but anything with tread would be.

There is a Nokian dealer in Allentown who advertises on Ebay. I think they are definitely some of the best tires I have ever had.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I put Michelin alpin pa4's on my 18" stock rims. Been pretty happy so far and driven in some decent storms. They are not as good as blizzaks in deeper snow but overall they have been great and drive like an all season tire. They also have a 30k warranty.

Get a snow tire. All seasons do not compare.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Taller thinner tires cut through snow better.

Skip studded snows in Seattle. The wet pavement with studs is a BAD mix. You actually LOSE traction on wet roads with studs. Better on ICE and good on snow, but wet surfaces are just not good for slippage.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG

The Hankooks are EXCEPTIONALLY bad in the snow. Your best bet is to get some dedicated snow tires. I personally would never go a winter without them now. But, if that is not an option, I'm sure you'll notice a big difference with a proper all weather tire like the Michelins.