Smyth UTE build thread (hopefully)

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Our molder is molding, our aluminum fits perfect and it is being laser cut and CNC bent, and we have shipped some full production kits. I finished the final rev on the metal pieces tonight. The first 5 sets of 0.100 aluminum were roughed up in shipping, but fit nicely when straightened out. We are at the mercy of our vendors now, but they will soon be keeping up with demand nicely. Thank you all for your patience.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
The aluminum parts look nice, but seriously, I've waited long enough now that I've had to buy another truck to do what this one was supposed to do for me six months ago. Now that it's spring, my "winter build" will probably have to wait until next winter, as I work 50+ hours a week when it's warm outside. So it doesn't really matter when or if the kit shows up, it's just going to sit for a while.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
The aluminum parts look nice, but seriously, I've waited long enough now that I've had to buy another truck to do what this one was supposed to do for me six months ago. Now that it's spring, my "winter build" will probably have to wait until next winter, as I work 50+ hours a week when it's warm outside. So it doesn't really matter when or if the kit shows up, it's just going to sit for a while.
Yeah I sold the car that I was going to do this to a long time ago. Just paid for my kit though. I bought another car and I've already done the suspension and braking mods. The car is almost too nice to cut up though. I keep telling myself "it's just a 12 year old car, it'll be ok" but I still think I'm going to stand there with the saw in my hand for a good while before I actually start cutting.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
I'm interested in one of these, but not placing any order until I know what the status is here.

MT, can you provide timely updates to inform us?

Kirk

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
The only update I can provide is that I cancelled my order. My deposit money was refunded quickly and cordially. I simply decided that I could not afford to wait any longer. I have since purchased a Chevy Colorado to do what I wanted to build this truck for. While it won't get 50 mpg, it will do what I need it to. I still have the car. It will probably be for sale soon, as I am far deeper into fixing it up than I ever thought I would be.

Perhaps Runonbeer can provide an update with his status- I believe he reserved a kit several months before I did.

On a side note, I did enjoy the "lost in transmission" episode, although the magic of television certainly made it look easy.

runonbeer

TDI
My kit showed up and I've started practice cuts on a wrecked car I bought for parts. I need a bigger saw.

The guys down at Austin Imports are also making one. They haven't received their kit yet but the car is cut.

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
My kit showed up and I've started practice cuts on a wrecked car I bought for parts. I need a bigger saw.

The guys down at Austin Imports are also making one. They haven't received their kit yet but the car is cut.
can you show some pics of the carnage? where did you figure where to cut?

runonbeer

TDI
I have some but I'm on mobile. There are instructions on the UTE page. Can't start cutting on the real car until after the weekend of the 27th because my wife needs to borrow a TDI to drive to east Texas for a research project. Her Nissan Leaf can't do a 700 mile trip :)

Countryboy07

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Sorry to hear that your not going to build this now DCELL. Was looking forward to coming down and checking it out. Good luck to you runonbeer!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Robbie,

What would you recommend for a saw to use? What do you have, and since you need bigger, what works best?

Also, one nagging problem that isn't answered in the 'manual' is this: what do you do to treat the cut steel parts that need corrosion protection? What do people do that will work to prevent rust. I live here where it is wet in the summer and salty in the winter, and the combination eats iron stuff alive.:eek:

PH

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
a cut-off wheel on a handheld grinder is what was used on the show. it's a really thin blade and makes a nice cut.
if it were me, i would coat each bare section with the adhesive used to bond the panels.

runonbeer

TDI
My circ saw isn't deep enough to cut the roof & sunroof at the same time. I tried the sawzall but it just jumps around too much.

bzeien

Veteran Member
TDI
Smyth Performance G3F #9, formerly known as "2004 Jetta BEW", 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
A Sawzall with a long blade held at an angle worked well for dissecting my Jetta for the G3F build: see post #3... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=367314

A 5 1/4" circular saw with a carbide blade set at max depth is used for the thick door cuts. Noisy, lots of sparks and shrapnel, but nice straight cuts.

Call Mike at Smyth and ask what saw/demolition tool he suggests...

runonbeer

TDI
Changed your user name? Aren't you BobZ?

I think the sawzall will work as long as there are no previous cuts. Otherwise the flappy end flaps around too much. The sawzall can't get a bite the metal is essentially flapping at the same frequency as the blade is reciprocating.

I did take another look the next day and the carbide bit in my (Lance's) circular saw is pretty much worn out. Gonna try when I get a new blade.

There are two SmythUTE posts going. My vote is that this one should go away since DCELL is out.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
robby---where are you having trouble getting this cut started? Could you use a grinder to put a 1/2'' deep slit and then switch to the sawzall? Alternate possibility is to grab a piece of 1x2 and clamp it on both ends (sides of the cut), mark it and start the cut through the 1x2 to keep the blade from straying. Not sure if any of this will work because I do not know where you are trying to start the cut.

Last edited:

runonbeer

TDI
robby---where are you having trouble getting this cut started? Could you use a grinder to put a 1/2'' deep slit and then switch to the sawzall? Alternate possibility is to grab a piece of 1x2 and clamp it on both ends (sides of the cut), mark it and start the cut through the 1x2 to keep the blade from straying. Not sure if any of this will work because I do not know where you are trying to start the cut.
No problem starting the cut. It only starts to get flappy when you hit the wide open prairie of the roof.

I don't have a link to post yet! I don't have a thread of my own. I've been posting in Manual tranyy's SmythUTE announcement thread.

I'm probably not going to open a thread of my own until it's finished.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
RoB---what size blade are using? are you trying to cut from inside of the car or outside? if outside, what about grabbing some 1/4 slats (piled up and drilling them to the roof to use as a fence? (remember to drill on the excess side of the cut) Sorry about the confusion in my last post, do not know where exactly you are in the project and just trying to understand from the last few posts.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
can I lock my own thread?
It would probably be best to continue the conversation on the other thread- If I keep reading this one, I'm just gonna be bummed out about it whenever I log on :(

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
im going to do this to my jetta.. would definately love some pointers on the prepwork i got a bentley manual to see where the wires go.. Im planning to chuck my power sunroof and install a manual aftermarket popup sunroof