Smokey old golf

Myoldwreck

TDI
Golf mk5 170ps Bmn
Hello there this is my first post so please be gentle lol, I have acquired a 2007 golf 2.0 170 ps bmn , it has not had a happy life, it starts fine pulls like a train, but once warm and under load it pumps out white smoke like bonds Aston Martin lol it’s not losing any coolant however the oil level does seem to increase, the smoke smells of diesel . I’m thinking blocked injectors which I have now removed and they don’t look that bad I’ll try to add a pic I also plugged in vcds and the injector deviations were cyl1, -0.09 cyl2 0.02 cyl3 0.11 cly4 -0.02 again I’ll try to add a pic I’ve replaced the fuel filter and changed the oil and filter and the car sighed with relief I believe it’s not been changed in 40,000 miles I’ve never seen one so bad so you can imagine what the rest is like, I’m just trying to save this poor old car and give it a happy retirement, any advice would be appreciated

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I assume this is a PD engine? Does the oil smell like diesel? If so the only way for diesel to get into the crankcase is a faulty/leaking tandem pump.

Your cylinder deviation looks good.

Have you check the play on your turbo?

Myoldwreck

TDI
Golf mk5 170ps Bmn
I assume this is a PD engine? Does the oil smell like diesel? If so the only way for diesel to get into the crankcase is a faulty/leaking tandem pump.

Your cylinder deviation looks good.

Have you check the play on your turbo?
Hi thanks for your reply, yes it’s a pd engine, I must admit I had not thought about the pump I assumed the seals on the injectors were worn and allowing diesel past and up into the valve cover, the oil does indeed smell of diesel, I am waiting for a new seal kit to arrive and I am going to clean the injectors in my ultrasonic cleaner to see if that helps, I’ve not checked the turbo for play yet but will now you mentioned it, it’s strange it doesn’t smoke much on idle just under load, I really appreciate your reply gives me more options to consider.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The turbo doesn’t work at idle, only under load. Pull the hose and check the play of the compressor wheel with your finger. Very little to no in and out and side to side movement is what you’re looking for. It’ll probably be hard to see with your eyes but take a close up pic of the compressor wheel with your phone to see if there’s any damage on the fins.

Myoldwreck

TDI
Golf mk5 170ps Bmn
The turbo doesn’t work at idle, only under load. Pull the hose and check the play of the compressor wheel with your finger. Very little to no in and out and side to side movement is what you’re looking for. It’ll probably be hard to see with your eyes but take a close up pic of the compressor wheel with your phone to see if there’s any damage on the fins.
Many thanks will do tomorrow and report back

Myoldwreck

TDI
Golf mk5 170ps Bmn
Many thanks will do tomorrow and report back
Hi just checked the turbo there was no end float at all but sideways I can feel about 3mm maybe 1/8” inch so maybe that’s the cause of the smoke? The pipe was oily but not excessively, the fins on the turbo look fine .