Smoke under load straight piped 02 alh

Shifter02

TDI
2001 golf 1.5 Malone deleted
Hey guys been reading some stuff on this forum I'm a newb to tdi but always wanted one !
I have learned a bit already but now that I have one I figured I'd like to join !
So I. Bought a 02 jetta gls tdi I got it for a good deal as he went off the rd and wrecked the front bumper and windshield!
The cars been straight piped its got 280000 kilometers on it and I notice its smoking quite a bit ! Not crazy but enough havent driven the car much yet still working on it ! .. I took the charge piping off and drained the intercooler there was prob close to half cup of oil in it and the piping is oily ! So I cleaned everything took off the pcv checked the play in the turbo and put it back together noticed the wires for the o2 senser are cut but no code ? Its not smoking as bad but just wondering if it will clear up with driving or ... I have something else to look at ? It did have a code 1556 when I got the car but cleared it .. Hasn't come back yet but only drove the car a couple hundred kilometers so ya any feedback would be greatly appreciated thank you ...
Play in the turbo seemed in check with a couple threads I read on here so ya just wondering if it being straight piped would smoke more too?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You'll see some smoke under load in any older TDI. How much depends on how fueling is set up, injector condition, whether or not the turbo is making full boost...any number of things. Also, many older TDIs will smoke at idle as they don't always burn fuel efficiently then.

If you want to make sure the car's in good running condition your best bet is to get a VCDS tool and check timing, boost, MAF condition, and injector balance. You should also look at the intake manifold (take the hose off the EGR and shine a light in there) and make sure it's clean.

Oh, and '02 TDIs don't have an oxygen sensor. Unless your car is a different year ('04 or later), then that wire is for something else.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I have a straight piped 2003 ALH sedan. Bigger injectors and a tune. It only smokes a little under full throttle.

Shifter02

TDI
Ok so I should be looking into other things then eh ? Thanx for the input though!.. What colour is your smoke mines like a blueish gray kinda puffy looking only when u give the throttle a quick snap ! Cleaning the ic seemed to clear it at steady load! But im wondering if it just needs to drive with new oil air filter fuel filter and that kinda thing ?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Shifter,

Get the VCDS tool and start learning about your engine.

The one CRITICAL thing to check is the timing belt, if you

don't know when it was done, just do it!

Be prepared to spend some money, if you got it cheap, great!
But as my guru says about a used TDI , be prepared for a coupla' grand into it to bring it up to snuff. Mods? Sheesh, I got more into mine than I paid, but with a similar mileage to yours, I'm hoping to double that over the next 10 years.

Good luck and have fun!

Shifter02

TDI
Ok the down pipe had a o2 in it may be off another car so thats sweet then ! Maybe thats why it was cut and I'm nit getting a code ! I have a obd2 tool that's connected to my phone thats hiw I found the 1556 code when I got the car !... How much should the vnt actuator move mine moving maybe quarter inch a little more maybe and getting vacuum tool to check all vacuum lines and such the air filter that was in it was clogged so there's none in it atm moment till I get ready to drive it so ya should I just make sure that the vacuum libes are good and replace all the filters and oil and drive it for a bit to see what comes up ? The turbo had a tiny bit of play side to side only like less than half a mm ! Just dont wnnna put a turbo in it if its still got life !?

Shifter02

TDI
How much is the vcds tool ? And where can I get one ? Ive been busting my brain on this tdi ! I'll get there hopefully sooner than later ! Lol .. But u think the obd2 tool i have is insufficient to diagnose these things goid enough ? Just asking ?

Shifter02

TDI
And thanks for the replies ! And I am going to have fun and need the economy as I drive 200 k a day lol my civics had it at 420 000 lol still runnin tho

Shifter02

TDI
I also checked the manifold being the egr .. It seemed a bit oily but nit carboned up not sure how it would be near the ports but seemed pretty clear from what I could see

Shifter02

TDI
Timing belt will be getting done I looked at it it seems fine but ya I know they're quite crucial to get done!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I have a straight piped 2003 ALH sedan. Bigger injectors and a tune. It only smokes a little under full throttle.

Depends on how much too large your injector nozzles are :) My Beetle before the RC2 tune (customized a bit) smoked all the time with my non-stock nozzles- as in, like a train . My tune decreased smoking by about 90% between 2000-3000 RPM, but it still pulls 5000 RPM with lots of smoke when asked. That;s ok, I can still spin tires in 1st and 2nd gear on dry pavement. Did I mention I also have an 11mm fuel pump (stock for an automatic) ? It also drives like a kitten when driven properly and can still pull 46 MPG.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I have 520 nozzles, 10 mm pump. and a VNT15 turbo. It pulls great. It puts out black smoke. Hard to see it unless it is night time. I honestly don't get smoke that I notice unless I am using full throttle.

Shifter02

TDI
How would I know if someone's put nozzles or a tune or anything in this car? If someone's straight piped it maybe they've done other things too the person I got it from didnt have it long but he said it pulled hard!

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
If all the timing items and intake items have been sorted out, try fresh oil and use a quality diesel rated oil.

I say this because I had a smokey issue after my turbo upgrade. I put a new cam and lifters in at the same time. Once I changed the oil, the smoke stopped. I do get some blackish smoke at WOT (heaviest while pulling the trailer up hills).

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Hey guys been reading some stuff on this forum I'm a newb to tdi but always wanted one !
I have learned a bit already but now that I have one I figured I'd like to join !
So I. Bought a 02 jetta gls tdi I got it for a good deal as he went off the rd and wrecked the front bumper and windshield!
The cars been straight piped its got 280000 kilometers on it and I notice its smoking quite a bit ! Not crazy but enough havent driven the car much yet still working on it ! .. I took the charge piping off and drained the intercooler there was prob close to half cup of oil in it and the piping is oily ! So I cleaned everything took off the pcv checked the play in the turbo and put it back together noticed the wires for the o2 senser are cut but no code ? Its not smoking as bad but just wondering if it will clear up with driving or ... I have something else to look at ? It did have a code 1556 when I got the car but cleared it .. Hasn't come back yet but only drove the car a couple hundred kilometers so ya any feedback would be greatly appreciated thank you ...
Play in the turbo seemed in check with a couple threads I read on here so ya just wondering if it being straight piped would smoke more too?

put the catalytic converter back on, :rolleyes:

this will reduce the smoke (and air pollution) dramatically

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter#Diesel_engines

"For compression-ignition (i.e., diesel engines), the most commonly used catalytic converter is the diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC). DOCs contain palladium, platinum, and aluminium oxide, all of which catalytically oxidize the hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide with oxygen to form carbon dioxide and water.

2 CO + O2 → 2 CO2CxH2x+2 + [(3x+1)/2] O2 → x CO2 + (x+1) H2O

These converters often operate at 90 percent efficiency, virtually eliminating diesel odor and helping reduce visible particulates (soot). These catalysts are not active for NOx reduction because any reductant present would react first with the high concentration of O2 in diesel exhaust gas."

Last edited:

Shifter02

TDI
Thanks for all the input guys ! .. I was thinking it had a but to do with the cat not being in there!.. And that its been sitting and needs filters and oil done in it have started getting a few things fixed up so hopefully getting the clean up done and start driving it things will get better ! It seems to run pretty good but who really knows till I start getting some miles on it ! Anf going to look for a cat maybe lol