Smoke Screen

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
So I have a question. How much does your Passat TDI smoke?

I noticed the other day, while following the other half driving the Passat, the when stepped into on the freeway it belched out a big cloud of smoke.

I do not notice this normally. The car had been driving on the highway on cruise for about 1/2 hour. It repeated several times.

This was on DINO diesel and normally use BD.

Is this a norm for DINO? What have you all noticed.

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
i'm chipped with rc2 and running dino ulsd, and if the wife has had the car for the weekend, when i get on the freeway the next time i drive and light it up, it's like spy hunter.

i normally try to rev the rpms all the way up at least once per drive to keep it cleaned out.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Mine can belch out a dandy cloud when I stomp on it. But I have noticed that the cloud is not anything like that when I used the older higher sulfur diesel fuel. I can make a cloud, but not often. I stepped into my throttle several times today while driving daughter No 1 to Oshkosh and frankly, I didn't see any clouds today as I have driven her like I stole it lately. Running sweet!

Last edited:

Dick_Larimore

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 GL Passat & '05 GLS Passat & '05 Beetle TDI
Yes , I would agree that smoking on heavy throttle is the norm. I have 2 Passat TDIs, both 2005 model year, and they both will smoke on heavy throttle. I also own a 2005 Beetle TDI and it does the same thing.

One of the best ways to see smoke is thru the rear view mirror when it is just dark enough to need headlights. Every time you get on the throttle you can see the smoke in the headlights of the person behink you.

TDIPATRIOT

TDI
'14 Passat SEL
Just bought my first TDI ('04 Passat sedan) 2 weeks ago and my buddy following me last night noticed the same thing when I hopped on the throttle after a stop sign. All you veterans...this sounds like it's nothing to worry about...right?

~Paranoid-I-bought-a-lemon-TDIPatriot

Last edited:

sleze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 2005, Shadow Blue - DECEASED
After the RC-2, I only get it when I really smash the accelerator in mid-range speeds (40 -> 65).