smoke out of crankcase vent?

panteramatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf
I have an extensively modded 2003 golf and the po has a large hose on the crankcase vent to atmosphere. It has a steady stream of smoke while the engine is running. Is this normal? Its not too bad but I can see it creep through my hood at a stop and it annoys me. If it is normal what can I install to stop it?

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
The crankcase generating smoke is normal.

Venting it to the atmosphere is not. Or, at least, its not legal, based on emissions regulations.

I'm not familiar with the 2003 - but pretty certain the setup is the same across models - the crankcase should have a vent with a hose leading to the intake. You could return it to the factory setup.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
How long have you owned the car?
A lot of smoke could be excessive blow-by i.e. broken or worn rings.
I don't notice it a lot on healthy cars...a little, yes....a lot, no.

Has it always done this since you've owned it.
How many miles on it?

panteramatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf
No I just bought the car. Its been completely rebuilt 20k ago. It has a ton of mods. Would my 17/22 turbo have anything to do with it? I do have excessive smoke when on the pedal.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
The precise problem is that you are venting the crankcase to the atmosphere. You probably have an upgrdaed turbo intake pipe without a bung for the stock ccv hose to feed into. Go back to stock or find someone to weld a bung into your stock pipe.

I did this for a while and definitely had light smoke coming from under the hood at idle. Went back to stock and all is well :)

Yreka

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Does it affect power or how the motor runs? If not is there anything aftermaket I can use to hook it up to?

Some people dont like them because they dump an amount of oil into the intake (usually small) My personal OP, its not a big deal + run stock.. An aged turbo ran at low speeds would probably be responsible for more oil in the intake than a CCV.

At any rate, here are some 'other than stock' options

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=390814

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=325015

Last edited: