Smoke, no power, help!

VagPhillips

TDI
2005.5 pkg 2
2001 Jetta Mk4
207K miles.
I have searched through the forums until my fingers hurt, so please be patient with me.
The other day after a short errand, easy driving, I was backing out of a parking spot and the car stalled. I restarted it and it had almost no power, couldn't get the rpms up at all, also a LOT of smoke, oily smelling-I know I should have taken note of the color but I didn't.
It sounds like a blown turbo? I had it towed to a shop which was closed and that's where it spent the weekend. I had allocated my tax refund $ for a new timing belt which is due in a few thousand miles, now I have to figure out if I'm going to put a lot of money into a car with that many miles even if it is my beloved tdi.
Something odd that I noticed though, in my garage under where my tdi sleeps was a very large pool of clear liquid, odorless. As it evaporated it left a white residue, almost like powder.
I can't help but feel like it's related.
Can someone please shed some light on this.
I also have to express the guilt I have for only logging on to this amazing site when I need something.
Thanks,
Brian

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
The low power/ smoke issue could be a loose connection on the aircharge/intercooler piping, these cars are finicky about boost and pressure, have a look around the lower right side of the engine bay around the turbo for loose/ misplaced hoses.
The second issue I'm going to say that it water from A/C unit discharge?

VagPhillips

TDI
2005.5 pkg 2
Thanks for the reply

I regret not doing a little looking around on my own. It was pouring rain and very cold and I haven't used my AAA membership in a long time.
Let's hope it's something as simple and inexpensive as what you suggest.
From the reading I've been doing, quite a few things could produce similar symptoms. I shouldn't assume it's blown turbo.
The water with the white residue still has me wondering though, although I'm used to seeing water under the car in the summer when running ac, never in this quantity and never with the large amount of white residue?
Strange.