Smoke coming out from egr weep hole.

TDI
1982 Vanagon AHU
After I installed a ne injection pump and got the car running normally, now I have a boost issue. I keep getting a fault for boost and the car has no balls. This is a AHU swap into a Vanagon westy. I checked with vag com and mvb 11 shows my actual mBar to be lower then the specified. I have a new n75, I checked all the vacuum lines including the one in the VCU. Then I hooked up a smoke tester and found little leaks from the couplers on the pressure side. Once I started fixing all the leaks I began to notice smoke coming out of the EGR weep hole.

So my question is. Is it normal to have smoke coming out of the weep hole during a smoke test? If there smoke wouldn't boost also leak from there?

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Even if there was a boost leak at the weep hole, I wouldn’t expect it to materially affect performance to the degree you’re describing…

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
No...it's not normal, it means there's something wrong inside the EGR I would guess.

Steve

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Usually they drip oil when the seal on the intake side starts leaking around the shaft. If you pressurized the intake system with smoke I wouldn't be surprised to see smoke come out of the hole. Did it have much velocity?

Don't plug it. Intake pressure could get to the diaphragm and cause it to open when it shouldn't.

TDI
1982 Vanagon AHU
Yes it has velocity and I think it's the reason I'm always going into limp mode. I've smoked the entire system like 50 times. No leaks anywhere except there. My actual boost never reaches specified so it puts me in limp mode. Is there a way to delete that valve ?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Since it's integral with the manifold you need to modify the manifold or find a swap. I don't know of one that fits but some searching might turn one up.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The replacement manifold with a separate EGR valve was not used on anything imported to the US, so you have to find one in Europe or find one that's been imported already. In addition to that you have to either 1) acquire a tune with EGR delete or 2) buy an EGR valve that can be attached to the new manifold. I believe that G60ing did that when he did his Corrado TDI conversion...that's now been dismantled completely.

The info about which manifold and which part number is probably in his conversion thread.

Also, I know it's been mentioned before in this forum because I posted up the replacement manifold part number at least once before if not twice. I don't have it now though.

Steve