SMF?

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I have an 2011 audi a3 and was wondering if a SMF would work. if so what cars smf would fit since I'll be hitting the yard? or if welding it shut would work?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 2011 Audi A3 Sportback is essentially a late 5th gen Golf, there are manual bits here, if you wanted to swap it. Any CBEA or CJAA Golf or J-wagen should be able to provide most of it, and some of it could also come from a Beetle or NCS Jetta (at least the transmission itself could, not sure about the pedals and shifter though).

There were also gasoline fueled Sportbacks sold here that could provide everything BUT the transmission.

Sucks that all the A3 TDIs were automatic for us, though.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
The 2011 Audi A3 Sportback is essentially a late 5th gen Golf, there are manual bits here, if you wanted to swap it. Any CBEA or CJAA Golf or J-wagen should be able to provide most of it, and some of it could also come from a Beetle or NCS Jetta (at least the transmission itself could, not sure about the pedals and shifter though).

There were also gasoline fueled Sportbacks sold here that could provide everything BUT the transmission.

Sucks that all the A3 TDIs were automatic for us, though.
sweet! I'll be grabbing the tranny from those. 09-14 tdi I believe

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
looks like I was able to find a 2012 vw golf tdi at the yard.
wondering if I get the tranny and all the other parts if I would need a tune for any error codes because of the tranny?

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
looks like I was able to find a 2012 vw golf tdi at the yard.
wondering if I get the tranny and all the other parts if I would need a tune for any error codes because of the tranny?
ECU will probably complain about Auto tranny and on those cars usually ECU software is made for either Manual or Automatic so re=coding will not work.
Beeing that there is no Manul transmission here is USA for A3 , the question is how to make it work . Probably some Custom made software

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Software change is all, no different than a manual Golf or Jetta with the same engine. VAG has boatloads of part numbers for ECUs based on calibration and such, but they can all have the same software flashed to them. No big deal other than the CR ECUs need to be unlocked, but the tuners figured that out years ago.

Just the ALH engines... they'll show six different ECUs for a 2002 model year, but we all know any one of them can be used interchangeably.

People have already manual-swapped CR Volkswagens that were DSGs, the Audi cannot be any different.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
This may be a bit of a hot take, but I'd argue that going from a (tuned and maintained) DCG to a manual transmission is somewhat of a downgrade. The dual clutch trans in these cars is absolutely amazing.
The only way I would consider it is if it came with an AWD swap as well.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 & 2014 Jetta sportwagon
I have an 2011 audi a3 and was wondering if a SMF would work. if so what cars smf would fit since I'll be hitting the yard? or if welding it shut would work?
The Audi A3 is a CBEA engine and it's not going to be very happy with a SMF. It has balancer shafts that the CJAA does not. If you must go SMF I would add the fluidampr harmonic balancer to improve engine reliability from the loss of dampening

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The Audi A3 is a CBEA engine and it's not going to be very happy with a SMF. It has balancer shafts that the CJAA does not. If you must go SMF I would add the fluidampr harmonic balancer to improve engine reliability from the loss of dampening
I don't understand this. Why wouldn't the balance shaft help, not hurt?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This may be a bit of a hot take, but I'd argue that going from a (tuned and maintained) DCG to a manual transmission is somewhat of a downgrade. The dual clutch trans in these cars is absolutely amazing.
The only way I would consider it is if it came with an AWD swap as well.
Usually when someone wants a manual swap it's not because of performance, or even logic. It's because they want a manual. I get it. Three pedals are still the best.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 & 2014 Jetta sportwagon
I don't understand this. Why wouldn't the balance shaft help, not hurt?
The balancer shafts help with engine vibration but not directly with crankshaft torsion, as they are gear driven. The SMF does not help either but I have had very good luck with the fluidampr's taming vibration.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
The balancer shafts help with engine vibration but not directly with crankshaft torsion, as they are gear driven. The SMF does not help either but I have had very good luck with the fluidampr's taming vibration.
Did you read post #6, CR and SMF are no good at all.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Software change is all, no different than a manual Golf or Jetta with the same engine. VAG has boatloads of part numbers for ECUs based on calibration and such, but they can all have the same software flashed to them. No big deal other than the CR ECUs need to be unlocked, but the tuners figured that out years ago.

Just the ALH engines... they'll show six different ECUs for a 2002 model year, but we all know any one of them can be used interchangeably.

People have already manual-swapped CR Volkswagens that were DSGs, the Audi cannot be any different.
CBEA vs CJAA .
ECU looks same but different software .
I doubt CJAA ECU will work plug and play . And also Second hand ECU needs to be programed or Immobilizer delete .

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
so I was able to swap the 2012 vw tdi golf 02q tranny into the 2011 audi a3 tdi

got the reverse lights going, but stuck on pin 2, 4, and 5. Car won't start so I think I have wiring wrong.

was able to remove auto from gateway list of vcds and cluster now shows to press clutch to start. Might need to send to malone to do the rest

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
there is alot they cant, rather wont, do lately..

glad kerma got you squared away. fwiw kerma cant do emission deletes, but otherwise his tunes are very good from what i have heard
yeah I think cuz they are based in the US and the other tuners are out of country. at least they are able to do it. I just need it on my stock ecu