Smelling Coolant

k.a.barros

TDI
2012 Passat
Just dropped the Passat off @ the dealer, told them I smell coolant on the drivers side of the engine and the coolant level is below the minimum level on bottle. Service writer says this is normal that he sees this all the time. That the manufacture overfilling the system is common and that it expells itself... blah, blah, blah, blah.... With only 7k on the car, sure hope this not going to be the norm. Has anyone else experianced this to?

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I had this happen to my 2011 Golf so I'm watching the Passat as well, it did drop a little after 10,000 miles, noticed the dealership topped it off but said nothing to me, it seems to be steady now after another 6500 miles. Yeah, I mentioned it to the dealership SA and master tech, they said it is "normal", or at least they do see it as common, I asked him to check the water pump, he said no leaks.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
I am starting to smell coolant around the front left wheel well whenever i get out after driving somewhere. This is the third time its happened. Car has 16k+ miles. I opened the hood to try to pinpoint the location but the smell is faint and fleeting but is on the drivers side somewhere. Can't find any leaks yet. Coolant level is still within norm levels.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Don't have Passat. But when we bought 2 2011 Golf TDI's both had below minimum coolant levels in expansion tanks on stone cold engines. This was right from the factory. About 1/2" below minimum on the tank. Topped up to minimum when cold and no problems since. Now I never noticed any coolant smell on drivers side of engine as the OP stated.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
I hope the intercooler isn't leaking. One of you could pop off an intercooler hose and check.

RichN

TDI
2013 Passat SE
My 13 has a strong coolant smell too. Coolant level when hot is on the low mark now. I crawled all over the engine bay looking for a leak and can't find one.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Wish I could find the odor source in my 09 JSW. 70k miles, complete visual inspection every 10k, no coolant leak, no loss of coolant, but still...every once in a while, when I'm plugging in my frostheater (left front), there is the distinct aroma of coolant.
Ditto for the Passat, w/o the coolant heater.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Maybe a leak in the intercooler ? That would explain not finding the source.

Tdi140

TDI
Passat Highline 2013
i have exactly the same Prob on my 13 passat...
went to the dealer, they find a leak on block heater...they replaced it and put pression to check any other leaks nothing according to us...
that happened on Dec 31st, now Jan 2nd temp light starting flashing again and diag tells me check coolant level!!!
i ll go to my dealer tomorrow...to be continued...

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
i have smelled coolant on mine since i got it at 23k and now had 34k and notice every once and a while , no low coolant level or anything . its real faint. *******s at the dealer probably wouldnt notice , just like they didnt notice the rattle on my drivers side door ..