Smell Proof Box for Additives!

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I was reading over at the Diesel Place and Opti-Lube has come out with a box to store additive in. I already ordered mine as my trunk has an additive smell. I am not into putting my kids pillows and such back there on long trips.

IMHO, this is great. Let me see if the picture will post:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I like it, but I want to know the dimensions of this box. I'm not at all crazy about Opti-Lube's 8oz bottle shape - it should have a longer neck like the 8oz Stanadyne bottles. Also 8oz is too big for our little 14.5 gallon tank. I already have my preferred single dose bottles (and they are smell free). What I want to know is whether or not they will fit into this box. For whoever is the first person to buy one of these - I want to know the maximum height bottle that will fit in it and still be able to close the lid.

Have Fun!

Don

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
You can get a Plano ammo box with o-ring at Wal-Mart for about $6 that looks to be about that size.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Don: OptiLube bottle: 5 1/2"...Stanadyne long-neck bottle: 7".
No way the Stanadyne bottles will fit.

I had several conversations with OptiLube BEFORE they came out with these short-neck, useless (IMHO) bottles. I begged them to duplicate the long-neck design that others were using, because of the geometry of my 09 JSW filler neck. I offered that they were losing advertising, as I was re-filling Stanadyne bottles with OptiLube, and had to explain to curious people that it wasn't really Stanadyne, but OptiLube I was using.

...sigh...my requests were ignored, and they changed to the current lame bottle...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Don: OptiLube bottle: 5 1/2"...Stanadyne long-neck bottle: 7".
No way the Stanadyne bottles will fit.

I had several conversations with OptiLube BEFORE they came out with these short-neck, useless (IMHO) bottles. I begged them to duplicate the long-neck design that others were using, because of the geometry of my 09 JSW filler neck. I offered that they were losing advertising, as I was re-filling Stanadyne bottles with OptiLube, and had to explain to curious people that it wasn't really Stanadyne, but OptiLube I was using.

...sigh...my requests were ignored, and they changed to the current lame bottle...
Too bad.

My Stanadyne bottles are over 4 years old and they were really showing their age (especially the cardboard cap seals), so I have retired them. I found a different long neck bottle that is about the same height as the Stanadyne bottles. This is what I am currently using: (shown in post #1)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=372734

The good news is that the cap seal is plastic and it appears to stand up well to Opti-Lube. I covered over the "Coke" name so no body would try to drink from it. I usually only keep two of them in my door pocket, but I am on the lookout for a better way to carry more than 2 when I travel long distances.

Have Fun!

Don

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This is definitely a problem in search of a solution.....a better one than this.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I personally like their 8oz bottles because that is the dose I use in my car and it pours fine in a Passat. :2cents: I also like the box but have to see how much it is as I only keep additive in the car during a road trip, usually in three or four ziplock bags.

Edit: OK op I looked at their website and didn't see the box. How did you order?

Last edited:

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Ahh I was looking for an empty box in accessories like they sell empty bottles.

RoadRunnerTR21

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
I buy the 16 oz bottles of Stanadyne by the case. I put the bottle in a sealed 1 gallon plastic bag. I then put the bag in a cut down wader boot to keep the bottle upright. Finally, since I always have a pair of golf shoes in the trunk, I use them to hold the boot upright in the left side of the trunk. This technique has worked perfect for a year and a half.

Smaug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with DSG and Sunroof
Yeah, Ziploc bags are another of my addictions. Seems they would work well to stop odor and spills.

Bobmws

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
I use the 4 ounce aluminum bottles and place them in one of the plastic ware food containers that has an O-ring type seal.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
If you don't mind the size, I use a portable hanging file box to carry my 'spillables'... Not entirely airtight but never had any smell issues.

Don't remember the cost but available at Staples, Office Depot, etc. and tall enough for most everything.

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
I use a lunch bag to keep my quart of B100 and 6 oz of power Kleen in that I add at every fill up. Is spill proof and does a nice job keeping the smell away. Fits nicely on the drivers side of the trunk right by my first aid kit.

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I use a lunch bag to keep my quart of B100 and 6 oz of power Kleen in that I add at every fill up. Is spill proof and does a nice job keeping the smell away. Fits nicely on the drivers side of the trunk right by my first aid kit.
I have stayed away from a bag as it seems once you spill anything on the inside wit will get on everything that goes in the bag. Is that true?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I just use a quart Ziploc bag. It's worked for 6 fillups now, seals completely, and (so far) re-sealing is not a problem.