SmartForTwo CDI into...?

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
I looked into the Smart engine before I picked the TDI. It's been a while, but my reservations were not having a lot of parts (and used engines) here in the US and also not having the reputation for longevity that the TDI has.

Something like that would be ideal for 1/2 a TDI to get over 100 mpg. Where's a nice two cylinder direct injection turbo engine?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Made in America Elio 3 wheeler.

What kind of mpg could it get?
The same as its price; $6,800 and 6,800 mpg.
No it won't really get 6,800 mpg. It also won't really come to market and it definitely won't be $6,800.

"...for $1,000 you are on a list of those virtually assured of getting one of the first limited edition production..." ;)

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
They lost me at "faster than you could say yeehaw"...not to mention the name reminds me of cheap pizza.....

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Edison2 is considering a kit version of the VLC 3.x, IIRC with no drivetrain provided.

That'll be a much better car than the Elio, granted, much more expensive too.

With the ForTwo CDI, it'll have acceptable performance (probably around 900-1000 lbs with the ForTwo drivetrain, and 41 hp), and with RC stage 1, it'll be fast.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I heard of the Elio from the (Edit): Yahoo tilting 3 wheeler club. Rumor has it Elio uses a Geo Metro drivetrain, probably with stock gear ratios but larger wheels to bump effective final drive ratios up, since the car is so light.

2nd edit: if the rumor is true, and the owners got their hands on a bunch of Metro drivetrains cheaply, they could pull off a run of these (I have no opinion or knowledge of the price target, though).

So it got me to wondering what a smaller, more efficient CDI engine could do with the right gearing...Elio is claiming 84mpg with the gasoline powerplant (probably completely idealized @ 55 mph on level ground, of course). So on the same basis, what could a CDI get in this?

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Elio's also claiming DOHC and 70 hp on Facebook, though.

I don't think Suzuki ever did a DOHC version of the G series 3-cylinder, just the 4-cylinder. (There is a 1.0 liter G-series 4-cylinder, that is DOHC, though, and is currently produced for modern-day first-gen Metros (sold as the Swift, IIRC) in Pakistan.)

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Interesting to know. Hadn't read the FB. LugNut is probably right, sadly, but we shall see.

I think I fall in the camp of "once you've gotten to 45 mpg, you can't save much more on fuel"; however, I find ease of parking, low Total Cost of Ownership, nimbleness, and uniqueness VERY compelling...

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Yeah, much more gains to be had by getting people out of 15 mpg vehicles and into 45 mpg vehicles, than 45 mpg vehicles into 85 mpg vehicles.

(But, if those 85 mpg vehicles reduce the resale value of the 45 mpg vehicles, more people can afford to ditch or supplement their 15 mpg vehicles with them...)

And, doesn't mean that I don't want extreme efficiency for myself for the hell of it.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
I should add to this:

I would find the
  • ease of parking
  • low Total Cost of Ownership
  • nimbleness
  • uniqueness
  • Made in America
  • supporting American jobs

extremely compelling.

Living in an urban environment, ease of parking is huuuuuge. There are a lot of half-spots you could fit this into that a regular car just can't. If they make these for a 5 year TCO that is ~50%-70% of a small car's with approximately comparable features/specifications, it'll be very hard for me not to commit the cash. I have the motorcycle endorsement already.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I've got a motorcycle endorsement, too, that I got purely because of weird three-wheeled car stuff.