Smallest i6 diesel engine post 2000

ExalyThor

TDI
Passat B5 AFN 110hp
Hello! What engines do you recall having a small displacement and an i6 config made this century? The only one I recall is BMW's M57.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Don't know about small displacement, but there's the Toyota Supra 2JZ and the Ford Barra from Australia (which I don't know much about).

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Mercedes had several, then there's the new Chevrolet duramax. I think there was a Jaguar one as well, not sure if it was a straight six or v6.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
made this century was his stipulation. Jaguar last made a straight 6 in the 1990s iirc
Yeah I didn't remember when the Jaguar one was... There were three mercedes inline six engine models 3.0 and 3.2, as well as their 5 cylinder engine.

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
OP was asking about diesel, which none of the Jag, Ford, Toyota gasser ones mentioned are.

Toyota 1HDT in the 80 series Land Cruisers is one, never sold in US though more and more are making their way in under the 25 year import rule now. Good engine though not without its trouble spots. 4.2L or 4.0L, I can't remember. They might have been made past the turn of the century though I believe they entered production in the '90s.

Mercedes OM648 3.2L, out of 2005-06 E320 CDI, is IIRC the only example of a passenger car I6 diesel sold here (maybe anywhere?) this century other than the BMW. Great engines, decent car. They are a close relative of the solid 2.7L Sprinter 5-cyl OM647 engine with an extra cylinder and the same trans. DOHC, good duplex chain cam drive, common rail, tons of power, quiet and smooth, great fuel economy, and relatively simple at least compared to the DPF/SCR V6 units that followed.

Hino (Toyota) and UD (Nissan) have some nice I6 medium-duty engines that came to market in the US but those are in the 6-8L range, I assume not what your question refers to.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
He made no mention of diesel in his post, only small-displacement, inline 6, made this century. That being said, the Hydundai Smartstream 3.0 diesel is in this year's Genesis GV80 (but not in US models) and the Chevrolet Silverado has the 3.0L Duramax

Mozambiquer

TDI
He made no mention of diesel in his post, only small-displacement, inline 6, made this century. That being said, the Hydundai Smartstream 3.0 diesel is in this year's Genesis GV80 (but not in US models) and the Chevrolet Silverado has the 3.0L Duramax
The title specifies diesel.

ExalyThor

TDI
Passat B5 AFN 110hp
Thank you for your answers. Main reason why I was curious about relatively small engines is because tax and insurance in my country goes trough the roof after 2.6l, and to the moon beyond 3l. Inline 6 for obvious reasons.

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Below 2.6L as far as I remember the only options would be the old IDI BMW 2.4L/2.5L TD and "TDS" engines, and the VW/Audi 2.4L diesels as found in old LT trucks, Pinzgauers, and Volvos. There might have been a few of each technically made this century, since I think the BMW TDS engines were still around at least through the late 90s and maybe into the early '00s, and the VW/Volvo 2.4 TD was used in military applications that probably were still getting them past the turn of the century even as antiquated as they were (similar to Humvees here getting the old boat anchor IDI GM 6.5 well into the 2000s long after the consumer market had moved on).

But, even if a few of the above motors may have been produced this century they certainly were designed in the previous century and mostly use diesel technology from the bad old days -- mechanical pumps, prechambers, troublesome fiber headgaskets. I don't think that's what you have in mind. :)

3.0L you have the M-B OM606 and the BMW M57, and I think that's it. Maybe Opel or VM Motori made something too?

I always have thought it was a shame that when VW/Audi introduced TDI tech to their line of diesels in the '90s, the old mechanical 4cyl and 5cyl diesel families got revamed into electronic TDI engines but the closely related inline six version did not. In the same way the short deck 1.6TD, 400cc per cylinder wound up as the tall deck 500cc per cylinder 1.9/2.0 TDI, and the short deck 2.0TD 5-cylinder grew into the 2.5 TDI five, the 2.4L TD inline six would have ended up as a 3.0L TDI 12-valve inline six. Like a half-size Cummins. If HP levels tracked with the other engines using the modular TDI design, it might have had ~175hp and ~300 lb-ft from the factory, early TDI reliability, and I6 smoothness and sound. Wouldn't have taken hardly anything to do it, just a taller deck, new head design, and six of the same larger bore TDI pistons that were already being used in the I5.

I presume the reason it didn't happen is there was no application in VW's line for such a motor and Volvo was phasing out its RWD platforms too. Fun to imagine what it would have been like though.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Mercedes OM648 3.2L, out of 2005-06 E320 CDI, is IIRC the only example of a passenger car I6 diesel sold here (maybe anywhere?) this century other than the BMW. Great engines, decent car. They are a close relative of the solid 2.7L Sprinter 5-cyl OM647 engine with an extra cylinder and the same trans. DOHC, good duplex chain cam drive, common rail, tons of power, quiet and smooth, great fuel economy, and relatively simple...
Those engines trace their roots back to the OM60x SOHC IDI motors from the 80s. The OM647 has the same geometry as the rod bender 603.97x, so MB must have figured out the problem and fixed it!

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
I thought the industrial Landcruisers that Toyota sells for mining markets in North America were a small inline 6 (134 BHP) but when I looked it up, they are 4.0 litre. The last relatively small inline 6 diesel in a US pickup goes all of the way back to IIRC 4.0 litre 6DR5 Mistubishi sold in Dodge pickups 78 and 79 (there was I believe a Perkins engine available 15 years before that).