small amount of soot in the tail pipe - 2012 Golf

blueapple

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Had the urge to run my finger on the inside of the tail pipes this morning after arriving at work... not sure why...

Surprisingly, I noticed a small amount of carbon/soot. It's jet black and washes off easily.

Is this normal? Does the DPF let some amount of soot get pass?

Car has 3000 miles and the tail pipe "looks" very clean, I had to touch it to notice this. No soot anywhere else either, bumper, hatch, etc.

I didn't exactly baby the engine after the first 1000 miles or so. Focused more on "seating" the rings, a few quick runs to 4k, nothing dumb.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Although the tail pipe and rear of my Golf looks clean, I've noticed that if I wash the rear window with a white towel it picks up soot. Clean diesels may smoke very little, but they do seem to smoke.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
Although the tail pipe and rear of my Golf looks clean, I've noticed that if I wash the rear window with a white towel it picks up soot. Clean diesels may smoke very little, but they do seem to smoke.
The inside of an exhaust pipe isnt going to stay sparkly clean forever on any gas/diesel burning car...even your typical new honda or toyota gasoline engine etc. As far as the back of the car goes, I'm not sure much if any of it is actually soot, rather then standard road grime. Pretty much all flat backed vehicles are susceptible to this, and at least with my golf, I wouldnt say it's any worse then past SUV's I've owned.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Possible, I guess, but it sure looks like the soot I've washed off my older TDIs for years.

And I agree that gasoline cars smoke. I used to see a Mazda Speed 3 at track days and that thing smoked almost as much as my TDI.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
I was behind a newer TDI Bettle today and gagged on the smell and black smoke when he punched it.

Thought that was the old diesel days,

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M gone back to VWoA, 1996 Passat Wagon (RIP)
Yeah, I get soot on the back of my JSW as well. Maybe not quite as much as with my previous b4 but, yeah, it is soot!

Possible, I guess, but it sure looks like the soot I've washed off my older TDIs for years.
TDI.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Had the urge to run my finger on the inside of the tail pipes this morning after arriving at work... not sure why...

Surprisingly, I noticed a small amount of carbon/soot. It's jet black and washes off easily.

Is this normal? Does the DPF let some amount of soot get pass?

Car has 3000 miles and the tail pipe "looks" very clean, I had to touch it to notice this. No soot anywhere else either, bumper, hatch, etc.

I didn't exactly baby the engine after the first 1000 miles or so. Focused more on "seating" the rings, a few quick runs to 4k, nothing dumb.
NORMAL. Diesel ON.

FWIW, gasser electric hype-brids (i.e., Toyota Prius) aren't the most soot-free either:

A demo I've given to friends and co-workers with my 2010 JSW TDI is I swab the inside of the tailpipe with my fingers and then LICK them afterwards. I don't taste any soot. It IS that clean! :cool:

LOL, Toyota Prius owners, let's see your tailpipe taste tests! :D

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I was behind a newer TDI Bettle today and gagged on the smell and black smoke when he punched it.

Thought that was the old diesel days,
Newer as in 2006 or newer as in 2013?

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I have 67,000 miles on my 2010 Jetta and the inside of my exhaust tips still look almost as clean as the outside. The vast majority of gas vehicles I've seen have a significant build up of black soot after barely a year's worth of use.

If anyone has soot build-up on the back of their 2009+ TDI, I'd assume something isn't quite right. Or, perhaps all of your driving is extremely short trips? Perhaps the wrong oil is being used and your DPF is becoming plugged with ash preventing the combustible soot from being properly burned off from the DPF catalyst material? I'd like to know more.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I would assume this is road grime and other pollutants, not soot from your exhaust pipe. On a 2006 and older TDI, okay, but not a 2009+. If soot is accumulating on your rear window, it would also be accumulating in your exhaust pipe at a greater rate.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
ALHs and PDs (1998 - 2006) definitely make soot, especially if tuned or in disrepair. 2013s (the brand new ones) should not soot at all.

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
I agree. I get black soot on the back of my candy white JSW. Never got jet black road grime off of any of the other vehicles I've driven previously. To me, it seems like there's still a very little soot that accumulates over time. Not a big deal, but it's not totally soot-free.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
This must somehow be related to driving style and/or fuel quality because after 67,000 miles, even the inside of my exhaust pipes are very clean. If I run a white rag across the back of my car, there is NO noticeable soot accumulation. The 2006 I had was another story - The inside of the exhaust pipes were jet black very early on.

new2

TDI
2013 Golf 6MT
i wish id known before i bought my mk6 tdi. half the reason i bought a diesel was so i could flash/straight pipe it and smoke out tailgaters :(:D

nickeasy

TDI
Build date 2-11, 2011 Golf 6M 2D TDI
I would assume this is road grime and other pollutants, not soot from your exhaust pipe. On a 2006 and older TDI, okay, but not a 2009+. If soot is accumulating on your rear window, it would also be accumulating in your exhaust pipe at a greater rate.
Totally agree. The hatch back and wagen models create a higher level of low pressure in the rear. As air passes over and around the vehicle, this low pressure area allows particulates to drop from the airstream.

dean_park

TDI
2011 United Gray Golf TDI 4DR MAN
i wish id known before i bought my mk6 tdi. half the reason i bought a diesel was so i could flash/straight pipe it and smoke out tailgaters :(:D
Don't worry... Stage 2 and DPF delete still makes smoke (too bad it's all on the track as this is for off road use only). I produce enough of a cloud to see it in my rear view when I get on it, but under normal driving its pretty clean. My tail pipe is dark though after only 400 miles with the tune and "off road" parts.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
If you have evidence of soot... fix it by removing evidence (with soapy water and a rag),,,, Problem solved,

With that said if it is under warranty have them run a diagnostic on it.

There are diesel fuel additives that reduce smoke.... and some brands of diesel may vary. I know one of the compounds in Optilube XPD is for reduced smoke.... but again the fuel distributor/refinery should have already added that compound.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
06s also had a shark fin. Either that owner hasn't washed that car in a long, long time or it's not running quite right.

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4Door DSG (Sold)
I get soot and smoke all the time since I had stage 1 put on my car. That said I have had my EGR replaced and I'm still getting P0401's...

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI - DSG
my 2010 has no soot at all inside my tailpipe, went to my 2012 CRV and got plenty of soot from the tailpipe. Clean diesels are basically soot free

MertCheney

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Sounds normal to me. My Sportwagen has minor soot at times with 41000 miles on it. Love this car.

Mert Cheney :)