Slow to start when parked on angles, then lots of smoke

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
So I've had starting issues for several months now and it has consistently been when the car is parked at pretty much any angle other than level. I have to turn it over quite a bit before it finally takes, and sometimes it struggles to take. After starting, there is usually quite a bit of gray smoke–it has a pretty strong diesel smell to it, not surprisingly. It usually takes several hours before this is an issue after shutting it down.

As far as know the fuel pump is original, and the lines from the pump to the fuel filter is fairly new along with the filter. Now from the filter to the tank, that's a different story. I imagine all that is original and what not. Just wondering if this is more of an issue with the fuel pump or from the filter to the tank?

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Oh, and maybe unrelated; at a steady RPM it will sometimes experience a slight, rapid jerk from about 2,400-2,800 RPMs. Doesn't seem to matter the gear I'm in.

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Thanks for all the help guys...
Turned out the fuel pump was slowly imploding. Have a new fuel pump -- and a new level of debt -- but all the problems are resolved.