Slow response time from a standstill?

whethan

TDI
2012 Touareg
Just got a 2012 treg and notice the near one second delay in response time when trying to to accelerate. I realize driving diesel is different than gas but seems dangerous when turning across traffic on major roads. I still love the power when the turbo kicks in but don't feel confident letting anyone else drive the car..

Sport mode seems slightly better but still a very noticeable lag.

Anything can be done without voiding the warranty?

Only attempted the 15 second gas pedal reset with the car on while the engine is off. Then turned the key off, started the engine, and babied pedal for a while.

Thanks for any help,
Whethan

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Check to see if the recalls are up-to-date. A recent recall for that problem has been covered extensively. ClubTouareg, if I can mention it here, has a lengthy thread about it.

MO Treg

TDI
2014 Touareg
Was thinking to go that route after the extended warranty expires or does using the tuner not void the warranty?

Appreciate your help!
It wont void the warranty.

and it allows you to revert back to "stock" before it goes to the dealership.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I was going to say, my 2012 TDI wasn't fixed and the 2016 was, the main difference is the tranny will hold lower gears longer until the engine gets up to temps, I just get use to it, takes a few miles in cooler weather. No big deal. Consumption of ad blue is the same. I go 10k between oil changes and dealer tops up the Ad blue tank, no warning or distance count downs.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
I have 2 '15 Q5's with 3.0TDI. They both have had the fix and they both had the same problem. I changed the fuel filter and air filters on both and what a difference. Lag gone. Mine came from Florida and the filter was full of sand. My wife's was from SC and there was the same thing in that filter. Try that before going to the dealer. Best place to get the filters is Rock Auto. Saved more than 50% on the parts. Also check your snow filter that is in the grill.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I am curious, when you changed out the air filter did you find it in good condition as to any water evidence in the lower part. I ask because there has been much made of water ingestion in the lower level of the filter and then into the engine.. So far I haven't had an issue,but I worry about it.

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
I've had the neuter/fix on my Treg for a long time now. My filter changes have been like clockwork and it hasn't made a bit of difference. I am with you, the lag is dangerous. I am going to file a complaint with the NTSB. I think everyone should, it is unacceptable.

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
I agree. I will do that the very second I am out of warranty and won't look back.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I must have a unicorn, I live in Florida 7 mos a year, my filters don't have sand and the car takes off from a stop like a scalded dog. Zero lag and I tow a boat and take off just fine from a stop, up a boat ramp no delay etc. I'm surprised to hear these stories. I'd believe sand could get into the filters if drive the deserts of the SW,but not here in Florida on the coast and the cars has been here for 3 yrs.