Sloppy shifter remedy?

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
My son's had my '98 NB tdi 5 speed for a couple of years and today I got in to drive and boy is there a lot of slop in the shifter! Very hard to find first gear at lights too. Is there some type of repair kit of new bushings, etc. that's available so I can get this NB shifting smoothly again?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
NBs were the the original/first MKIVs.

It's likely that the bushings on the cable ends are crapped out, so be prepared to replace those: I think, however, if one is going to do any real repairs that a later style shifter is highly recommended.

DiesekGeek.com is the place to go to find various parts for repairing shifting. Also has some links for adjusting linkages.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
My son's had my '98 NB tdi 5 speed for a couple of years and today I got in to drive and boy is there a lot of slop in the shifter! Very hard to find first gear at lights too. Is there some type of repair kit of new bushings, etc. that's available so I can get this NB shifting smoothly again?
Most likely it's the shifter end bushings, the part that is not on the transmission end. One of them is easy to replace.

https://www.dieselgeek.com/collecti...set-for-mk4-golf-gti-jetta-new-beetle-audi-tt

Good videos on that page. You may have to replace other parts.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just bought a '99.5 Golf, with that same shifter setup, and it is getting updated to the 2000+ parts. That really is the best way to go if you ask me.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
I just bought a '99.5 Golf, with that same shifter setup, and it is getting updated to the 2000+ parts. That really is the best way to go if you ask me.
I apologize for asking but what do I need to purchase in order to update? Diesel geek says he has nothing to accommodate the 98-99's. Sorry Oilhammer as I should have pm'd you.

oilhammer

TDI
You need essentially everything from the shift knob all the way to the shift forks inside the transmission.

The shift "tower" slides up and out of the transmission (you do not need to remove the trans).

A salvage yard may have everything you need. Gas (4 cyl/5 sp) cars work fine, too, they use the same shifter setup.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Brian, what's the difference in the shifting bits between say 2000 and 2003? Seems that the side throw is less on the later transmissions: I think I've heard this to be the case; and, it's been by observation when comparing with the son's 2003 Golf (to our 2000s [except the one that has the 02m]).

Sorry for hijacking.

oilhammer

TDI
The linkage at the transmission end is improved again, but it is not a huge difference in the 2000-2002 shifters.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You need essentially everything from the shift knob all the way to the shift forks inside the transmission.
The shift "tower" slides up and out of the transmission (you do not need to remove the trans).
Darn- I was hoping this wasn't going to be so bad! So much for a bushing replacement!
It's a little bit of work to collect, then install the pieces... but it's totally worth it. The original linkage was never that good and has so many wear points you'll go crazy trying to get it right. Dumping the original linkage on my 99.5 was one of the best things I ever did for the car. (well I say I..... Matt98AHU installed it :) )

-J

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
It's a little bit of work to collect, then install the pieces... but it's totally worth it. The original linkage was never that good and has so many wear points you'll go crazy trying to get it right. Dumping the original linkage on my 99.5 was one of the best things I ever did for the car. (well I say I..... Matt98AHU installed it :) )

-J
I agree, both our 99.5s received the 2000+ style shifter swap and it made a world of difference.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Shifter upgrade

A big thanks to Scott Krout in Jacksonville, Fl. for doing my shifter upgrade on my '98 NB. Everything works like brand new!