Slip on Rockers, anyone ever install a set?

02beater_auto

TDI
2002 Automatic ALH TDI
Hi,

I have a set of these laying around and want to install them....might as well:

What type of adhesive did/would you use?

This looks to be the right stuff:

Anything else?

No, I am not going to do this the right way on the beater.

Thanks.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I have those in my eBay cart.

I want them for the front ends of both sides and the rear of the left side, not to install the whole piece.

but I’d cut out the rusty ends and probably plug weld the replacement metal back on the car.

Are you thinking of gluing the whole piece on to cover your existing rockers completely?

02beater_auto

TDI
2002 Automatic ALH TDI
I have those in my eBay cart.

I want them for the front ends of both sides and the rear of the left side, not to install the whole piece.

but I’d cut out the rusty ends and probably plug weld the replacement metal back on the car.

Are you thinking of gluing the whole piece on to cover your existing rockers completely?
Hi, this is exactly what I planned on for simplicity. Sorry, another family member was logged in before so reposting.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Hi,

I have a set of these laying around and want to install them....might as well:

What type of adhesive did/would you use?
Do you think adhesive will hold at highway speeds?
I have a bad feeling about it. :eek:

02beater_auto

TDI
2002 Automatic ALH TDI
Do you think adhesive will hold at highway speeds?
I have a bad feeling about it. :eek:
I don't know. I remember the days of Camaros running SMC (sheet molded compound) and repairing things with fusor when panels broke without issue on the highway. Could be apples and oranges here.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
Adhesives with some tack safety rivets would be what I would do. Glues can hold great but then delaminate over time on plastics. Steel on steel may be ok as the expansion rates are the same. The problem I see is when someone bumps it the next time and cracks things loose.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Problem is, what happens when the rockers under the slip ons rust out? They'll have nothing to hold on to.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
At least it will look good for a while. Often or most of the time you see rust it is always worse than you thought. I am painting my wagon I thought was rust free on the rockers and then find it only looked rust free until I started pushing on it. I have found if you can get some fluid film inside that cavity it can slow it down a lot.

02beater_auto

TDI
2002 Automatic ALH TDI
I use Cosmoline RP-342 which has stopped the rust in it's tracks. Lots of valid points here. There is still alot of meat on the rockers. I pulled off the old junk still have plenty left.