Skidplate: 2, Me: 0

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I'm sure you'll all be kind and understanding of my pain...

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Me thinks you have tree rats on your skidplate...............

JK, but really...........HAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAA

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
that's a forehead right??? Please tell me that's a forehead...

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Now THAT'S using your noggin...

But the big question is - did it finally get installed?

meganuke

TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
That is the result of attempting to install rivnuts by yourself. Ratchet slipped off as I was pulling with all my strength...smack! Right in the forehead. And I wasn't sure it was tight enough, so I had to do it a second time. Smack again!

No, the skidplate is still not on. One of the rivnuts expanded while it wasn't flush with the frame, so it's unusable. I ordered another 2. Once they arrive, I'll attempt to finish the job. But I'll get a third hand this time!

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
meganuke said:
...smack! Right in the forehead. And I wasn't sure it was tight enough, so I had to do it a second time. Smack again!
Darwin Awards, here we come!!

HAAAAHAAAAHAAAHAAAAAAAAAA

meganuke

TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
It's only a matter of time before one of your "tree rat removal" plans gets you a permanent place on Darwin's list... :D

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
meganuke said:
It's only a matter of time before one of your "tree rat removal" plans gets you a permanent place on Darwin's list... :D
Possible, but at least I'll have you there for company.......:D

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
you know, i installed a DG plate a couple months ago... if i knew you were having those kinda issues i'd have been happy to help.. lol

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
meganuke said:
That is the result of attempting to install rivnuts by yourself. Ratchet slipped off as I was pulling with all my strength...smack! Right in the forehead. And I wasn't sure it was tight enough, so I had to do it a second time. Smack again!
Okay, you did two smacks. Just how did the third one happen??? Or was it a bounce?

meganuke

TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
The initial hit made two marks...one from the side of the ratchet head and one from the edge of the socket. Three bumps from two blows. I like to be efficient.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
meganuke said:

No, the skidplate is still not on. One of the rivnuts expanded while it wasn't flush with the frame, so it's unusable. I ordered another 2. Once they arrive, I'll attempt to finish the job. But I'll get a third hand this time!
I am in a similar position, but I don't have the decorations on my forehead. I got the 3 rear rivnuts in just fine. I tried to install the first of the front rivnuts, and it started to go in crooked, and I had to pull it out and order some more.

I still haven't decided what I would do differently when the new rivnuts come in. There isn't all that much room for another person under the car, but I suppose that is one option to try.

I was toying with the idea of using my cordless drill - it has a low-speed high-torque setting (up to 350 ft-pounds) and an adjustable maximum torque (it just start slip when you reach the torque you have dialed in). I have used this thing in the past with success while using sockets on the business end of the thing. If I do it this way, I can keep one hand on the vice-grip to steady the install tool, and use the other hand on the drill, and hopefully it should be easier to keep the socket from popping off.

meganuke

TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
A third hand to hold the wrench/vice grips on the rivnut tool is all that's needed.

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 A4, Reflex Silver
Come on. I did this install all on my own with no help or power tools. Started to use an impact wrench and screwed that up the first one so i stopped that quick. Did the rest by ratchet and hand. :)

My finger locked and held the trigger too long and striped the rivnut out quick. But the and install wasn't THAT difficult for me. I was trying to be quick about it and paid for it by having to drill one out.

But you don't need a third hand. :)

Hold the rivnut tool/flat piece of metal flat up against the surface with the rivnut pushed all they way through and start tightening the bolt down. Switch to a torque wrench when it starts getting tight. The flat tool does flex so you can hold the rivnut level. Don't forget to grease the threads and i believe you had to use a washer or two for spacers.

Real Easy. :D

Good luck.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Thanks for bringing this back up.

This just made my day :)

meganuke said:
The initial hit made two marks...one from the side of the ratchet head and one from the edge of the socket. Three bumps from two blows. I like to be efficient.

Diesel Junkie

TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI
When I was doing truck accessories we used rivnuts in vans for installing Adrian steel equipment. We had a tool we used with it that was like an inch long that you held in place with a 9/16 end wrench and had flanges in the end with a hole down the middle to run the bolt through. The tool as you tightened the bolt dug into the rivnut from spinning and we used air ratchets on them all day long no problem just don't over tighten it. Are these rivnuts different that you couldn't use them?

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Nuke...I know what you mean. I nearly lost two fingers about 4 yrs ago.
Since then I let the owner remove / install it when they come for service.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
I'm sure Keith's learned a few things about skidplates since '06...:rolleyes:

(Although the pics were amusing at the time....):eek:

4XTaco

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Touareg
I started mine with an impact and finished with a torque wrench- worked pretty good too. Just need to make sure you are holding it flush to the holes.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
Hamsterdiesel said:
I'm sure Keith's learned a few things about skidplates since '06...:rolleyes:

(Although the pics were amusing at the time....):eek:
This IS Keith we're talking about... you sure about that? :D

Mr. Annoying

Veteran Member
TDI
I gotta jetta wagon
did it make a funny noise just like in the movies?
(and it usually does but the only one that can hear it is you:))

hapnan1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon Returned
No, the skidplate is still not on. One of the rivnuts expanded while it wasn't flush with the frame, so it's unusable. I ordered another 2. Once they arrive, I'll attempt to finish the job. But I'll get a third hand this time![/QUOTE]

you may use my garge etc. if you need it? :D