skid plates and lift kits

thecrusher773

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5 Speed Beetle-sold, 2010 Jetta-sold 2014 Beetle
Just wanted to see what everyone is using for skid plates and lift kits. I had a panzer on my old beetle but doesn't appear they are available now. Also looking to do a lift kit inch or maybe little more. Which kits are the favorites?

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

How far do you want to go lift wise? ...

I run what is in my signature but for real lift there is a Facebook group for " lifted liquid
Cooled VWs " where people really go big ...

31s, 33s etc for tire sizes!

They definitely go big over there.

A fairly standard recipe there seems to be Jeep springs with Mark 5 top hats, shock extensions and sometimes even spacers.

I'm guessing if you have that kind of lift and you don't take it off road you probably don't need a skid plate!... Think of the $$ savings ;-)

Couple screenshots from over there ...

thecrusher773

Veteran Member
TDI
Nothing that extreme 1-1.5 inches at most. Just a little extra ground clearance and the skid plate because we have terrible roads around here.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi

How far do you want to go lift wise? ...

I run what is in my signature but for real lift there is a Facebook group for " lifted liquid
Cooled VWs " where people really go big ...

31s, 33s etc for tire sizes!

They definitely go big over there.

A fairly standard recipe there seems to be Jeep springs with Mark 5 top hats, shock extensions and sometimes even spacers.

I'm guessing if you have that kind of lift and you don't take it off road you probably don't need a skid plate!... Think of the $$ savings ;-)

Couple screenshots from over there

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Lifted my 2003 Beetle but so far haven't had the need on the 2015. The 2003 was very low to the ground. Just the height of my key fob near the oil pan. The 2015 has been great so far with none. Way more clearance down there. Assuming you aren't running over concrete block and raccoons.

thecrusher773

Veteran Member
TDI
Raccoons are a serious concern around here along with Possum and Armadillo.

thecrusher773

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I can tell you after getting the ECS skidplate this thing is a piece of crap and going back. Terrible design.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh , I forgot after all that to mention that I have the Evolution Aluminum Skidplate .

Seems to be sturdy and even has a removable access hole to allow for oil changes without dropping the whole plate.

I have not had experience with any other skidplates but this one seems nice and I would recommend it,

Andrew

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
+1 for the Evolution “Atlas” skidplate. Got one in my lowered wagon and pretty sure the other day it came in handy.

James

thecrusher773

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah that's what I was looking at now over on Kerma was the Osiris. It looks a lot more like the Panzer I had on my '02.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
My bug is at stock height and vw skid plate, i do live in the country on a dirt road but this works for me. I damaged the grill and ac condenser on my ‘05 beetle by hitting a raccoon, $2000in damages about 12 years ago.