Skid Plate options?

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
Brokk said:
I like the idea of getting the skid plate Line_Xed or possibly powder coated matte black. The shiny aluminum just doesn't do it for me.
You do realize it's underneath the car right? The only time anyone is ever going to see it is when you run over them.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
TDikook said:
there is also the sound deaden issue, which I part of it for me.
I would put money it won't help with sound deadoning more than 1 db. I would be shocked to see that much.

(talking about a coated skid plate vs and un-coated)

Vanaguy

TDI
VW-free since 2018!
volucris said:
Seriously, though - I don't doubt for a minute that its an excellent product, I was just curious about what kind of stuff people were driving over in order to need them...
I'm coming into this thread late, but I have an anecdote for you. My wife was forced off the road in her Jetta, in a construction zone and at highway speed. The Jetta has a VW steel skid plate fitted.
She ran into the edge of a new slab of concrete, which stood about 4-6 inches proud of the surrounding dirt. It destroyed the right front wheel, bent the left front wheel, bent a tie rod, and shredded the engine bay side skirt so that it tore up the accessory belt. It merely scraped and slightly bent the skid plate, but if it had not been there the engine would have hit the concrete HARD.

Vanaguy

TDI
VW-free since 2018!
milehighassassin said:
Pics? Sorry for your mis-fortune
I don't have any pics, it happened about three years ago.
The skid plate only bent upwards less than half an inch, on the right side. It's still installed today.

ToledoTDi

Ed's TDI said:
That's just precautionary measures for those that are afraid of leftover "surprises" from the IRA! :eek:
Nope they've all been put beyond use !! Well that's what they say anyway.

The roads in Northern Ireland are not good once you get off the main routes.

BTW, does this plate fit a Seat Toledo?

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
I don't know what generation Toledo you have but the MK4 or MK5 Panzer should fit fine. Take a look at the applicable generation Panzer install manual to see if your car has all of the mounting points of its VW branded cousin.

ToledoTDi

corrado tdi said:
I don't know what generation Toledo you have but the MK4 or MK5 Panzer should fit fine. Take a look at the applicable generation Panzer install manual to see if your car has all of the mounting points of its VW branded cousin.
OK will do

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
TDikook said:
Ummm, GOOD LUCK with that, I mean it. I think there is no way you are gonna get this on without a lift/ramps/jackstands. you have to be right under the car do do this work. try the regional section and see if someone in dallas area can help a brother out. it really doesnt take long to do this.

Eric B
actualy I drove my 02 golf up onto 2 pieces of 4x4 fence post which gave me (5'8" 170lbs) enough room to get under the car to instal the evolution skid plate in about an hour . IMO you should realize 2 things about a METAL skid plate, the stock plastic underfairing isnt going to make any noise when it hits something while a metal skid plate will resonate the noise to a greater degree and I am pretty sure a metal plate decreases clearance a tad so you hit more stuff but ARE protected . Having cracked 2 oil pans IMO the VERY 1st thing a new TDi owner should do is instal a metal skidplate

Brokk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GLS TDI JETTA
I am all set to purchase the Panzer Plate with FMJ for my '04 TDI. You guys have convinced me not to have it powder coated or line-x'd. I still think I should at least put some Dynomat on it. What are the dimensions of the parts. I am trying to calculate the cheepest package of dynamat to buy that will cover it all.

Thanks,

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Everyone who has ever reported back to me on sound proofing the Panzer/FMJ set has said there is little to no difference in sound with and without...

adamant628

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
The aluminum side plates can be added on later, I would assume? Thinking about jumping on this and ordering. I have been debating between this and the defender though. Does the extra thickness of your Al give more strength than the thinner galvanized steel?

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
The Full Metal Jacket set can be added later, no problem.

Without third party testing of both plates together I cannot say which would be stronger but the Panzer has a very big curve in the profile which adds incredible strength compared to if it had a flatter profile like the other plate. I also am very biased toward my mounting post design versus the other plates. Take a look at the picture.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I put the DG Panzer on my Golf last year, ahead of a particular backcountry road where I knew I would be facing high rocks. It was sweet music to hear the plate grinding over the few unavoidable boulders... :D

Still, I had intended to put a 1" lift kit on the Golf, to counter the lower clearance of the DG plate (of any plate). Problem was (maybe still is?) that MetalNerd's lift kits are incompatible with the ESP on my '03 Golf. I remain in the market for a solution to get the Golf an inch higher.

adamant628

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
Does the oil drain cutout reduce the strength at all? I would consider getting an oil pump for convenience anyway.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
The oil drain window is behind the drain plug and oil pan and won't affect the protection of the oil pan at all.

adamant628

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
corrado tdi said:
You can buy them at one time of course but it would be three individual items in the shopping cart. Easy enough.

I looked at adding a "Deluxe" Panzer kit to the site but I do not want to imply that those with viable plastic side skirts cannot use them. Also, the pricing for the Deluxe set would be the same as for the three individual parts.
Ordering all 3 would at least save some money on shipping. It is only $2 more to add the side panels instead of the extra $10 to ship them in a different order.

I don't really have an extra $90 on top of the $300 I'm about to drop for these, so those will have to wait.

Vdub1221

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
I just installed a panzer on my 03 jetta gls and ever since theres been sqeaking from under the engine by the front end. Has anyone else had such problems?

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Vdub1221,

Please call me on Wednesday during biz hours at 210 852 4819. Let's figure it out together.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
The 09 doesn't offer the cut out because the oil filter comes out the bottom. So you still need to pull the skid plate to get to that (if I remember correctly when I installed my fathers plate). Also you can keep the plastic one under the metal one from dieselgeek for sound purposes if you want.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Too bad you aren't in So Cal.

I have an OEM steel skid plate that I took off my MkIV Jetta that I won't be able to use on my MkV Jetta.

So I will be selling it.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
coalminer16 said:
The 09 doesn't offer the cut out because the oil filter comes out the bottom. So you still need to pull the skid plate to get to that (if I remember correctly when I installed my fathers plate). Also you can keep the plastic one under the metal one from dieselgeek for sound purposes if you want.
???
The filter comes out from the top. I do a bottom drain via Fumoto valve. Even though I understand the plate is designed to be quickly removed for a bottom drain, It'd be much nicer to just have the cutout. I'm just curious as to why it's not an option on the MK5, but is on the MK4. Kinda defeats the purpose of the Fumoto if you have to do anything other than reach under and flip the valve.

Last edited:

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Like the B5 Passat, the MK5 oil pan's drain plug is completely horizontal and parallel to the ground and the pan is made in such a way that the oil stream leaving the pan has such a strong flow that it is hard to predict where to place an oil drain hole in the skid plate. The MK5 pans are different from the MK4 pans.

Where the oil stream exits the plane of the skid plate depends much more on oil temp than with the MK4 oil pan though oil temp plays a part even on the MK4. Also, since the MK5 Panzer uses the factory sound dampener to keep water and dirt out of the engine bay at the sides, you would also have to cut the factory plastic belly pan as well where the oil drain hole would be. For some new car owners this would not be an option.

I made the MK5 Panzer as easy as possible to remove if you do a conventional oil drain. The Pela 6000 or equivalent oil extractor is the slick way around having to get under the car at all for oil changes. You will probably save 20-30 minutes per oil change by using an oil extractor versus getting up under the car to drain the oil. Just the convenience of having used oil end up in a pourable container for recycling makes it a nice, time saving option. The oil extractor has a nice cap with a seal so you can safely put it in your car to take to a collection center.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Gotcha. Didn't know the difference between the two drain configurations. I guess I could always mark it and have it cut. Thanks for the info.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I stand corrected. I knew I should have looked more on the top of the engine instead of the bottom (doing my fathers dirty work since he can't do ANYTHING mechanical). I thought he told me the filter was at the bottom but I never did look. Sorry. I guess just put the drain valve in and mark where the drain is and cut yourself.

Brokk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GLS TDI JETTA
I got my PanzerPlate and FMJ sideskirts installed today. From looking at TDIKooks pictures it looks like he cut the plastic piece under his front bumper. I am talking about the part that has about 9 of the T25 screws in it that the old Belly pan slid underneath. Mine is damaged at the far drivers side end. I had to remove it for installation. Their wasn't enough room for me to work under it. After the install I was able to get it all screwed back in but it is bent differently than before and there is a bit of force tweaking on it.

Should I have just removed it completely and threw it out with the belly pan? Does anyone have more pictures of their MK4s w/ the FMJ & PanzerPlate installed?

Oh and the plate is great! I took Corrado's advice and installed it as is w/ no sound deadening at all and I am unable to hear any difference between pre and post install.

Thank you,

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
You can trim the spoiler trim piece on the later MK4 to better fit the Panzer or you can leave it off. Some have attached it to the Panzer by drilling small holes in the plate and then using sheet metal screws to hold it on.