Skid plate mk4 rivnut install issue

irishjetta

TDI
03 silver Jetta TDI, 280k miles; 14 Golf 1.6 TDI (sold)
Not sure where my skid plate is from but I'm having trouble getting the two rear rivnuts into the appropriate holes on the subframe (pictured below) due to the double thickness of the metal in these holes - the rivnuts compressed but had nothing to cling to and just fell out. Do they make special rivnuts for this type of thing? Or is there a trick to this?

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I had one for my Atlas plate pull out on my first install attempt too, so I ordered some extras of the long ones here and tack welded them in just for good measure. You can get those through Cascade German and other places if you need.

I've never used the ones you linked, but I wonder how well they would resist spinning in the hole when loosening...

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Here in the salt belt if you install a rivnut under a car and don't weld it you will need a grinder to remove the bolt after a year or two 😲

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Here in the salt belt if you install a rivnut under a car and don't weld it you will need a grinder to remove the bolt after a year or two 😲
@KrashDH put me onto Evinrude TripleGuard marine grease, I dab it on all those kind of bolts now. Although, I tend to take my car apart several times a year so it may not be really necessary... 😂

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
@KrashDH put me onto Evinrude TripleGuard marine grease, I dab it on all those kind of bolts now. Although, I tend to take my car apart several times a year so it may not be really necessary... 😂
On an unrelated note, I found another use for triple guard. I had a log splitter tire always going flat and coming loose of the rim. A clean rim and good tire. Washed everything up and vacuumed it out, rubbed TG onto the rim bead. Been holding for a year and one half.

The lighter weight rivnuts definitely need to be tacked in. I made my own mounts and locally sourced rivnuts for one of our cars. Had trouble with them from the start, definitely not the quality provided from diesel geek, heavy shoulders. I haven’t had an issue with their’s, so far….