Skid plate install

Rotten Rob

TDI
2004 Golf TDI, 5 speed manual & 2002 Golf TDI, 5 speed manual
Anyone have a recomendation on what skid plate is best. I'm considering the "Panzer" plate or the Evolution. Both seem strong enough but some differences in the mounting. I am leaning toward the "Panzer" as I believe the hardware seems heavier. Both seem like the same general method of install. Thanks, Rob

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
You are correct, they are very similar. Both companies have detailed installation instructions on their web sites. I read both and decided on the Panzer for reasons a lot like yours. There are also to other things to consider. One: The Panzer ships from Texas (an American company) while Evolution is a Canadian company (but they do also ship from Washington state). Two: I can tell you from personal experience that Jim (Dieselgeek) is second to none when it comes to after the sale support. You can call him and he will personally talk you through any problems and he has even been known to answer email questions on the weekends (ask me how I know:rolleyes:)

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. You will need ramps (or jackstands) to raise the front end, and you will also need a torque wrench (for either skidplate). Properly installing rivnuts requires a torque wrench.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Anyone have a recomendation on what skid plate is best. I'm considering the "Panzer" plate or the Evolution. Both seem strong enough but some differences in the mounting. I am leaning toward the "Panzer" as I believe the hardware seems heavier. Both seem like the same general method of install. Thanks, Rob

There are some excellent threads that discuss this issue in depth.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tdiclub:+skidplate

On page 2 of that link is a Panzer v. Evolution thread. Good luck

turboboost1

Veteran Member
TDI
None, Did the buyback
I have the Panzer Plate which I installed on my Jetta. .Very happy with it and the install was straightforward. Just follow the instructions.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The Panzer weights more the Evolution.Mine was shipped out of Washington state.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I had the evolution one back in the days when corrado tdi was still selling the OEM steel one....

the old style post mount was plenty strong and the oil pan held up from good hits from working rallies (the pan was bent, oil pan in tact)

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I installed Panzer Plates on both of our TDIs. I'm very happy with their design, construction and ease of installation.

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I liked the evo plate, mainly due to how the oil drain plug cut out was designed. It bolted up rather than friction fit. Also them being in Canada was cheaper for me. If you do oil changes from the top, then it's really a non issue.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
I have intalled both, and while they are very similar, I prefer evolution.

Beefier rivnuts, and the bolt on oil drain cover is better than the sheet metal cover on the panzer.

JustBlaze

TDI
Jetta 2002
defender tech?

Why no one considering the defender-tech.com skidplate?

it's quite cheaper at 199$ and i can assure you that its very good.

i installed mine almost 2 years ago, its holding up fine.

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
Intalled the Evolution, and it was only a 3 beer job :D coverage is about the same as the thin plastic plate, and fewer bolts to remove for an oil change!

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
I just had my MVIV Panzer Plate off for the first time. My guru put it on in the winter when I had him doing other things, and I had no place to work on it. I remember him telling me that one of the bolts has washers above and below the plate. When I took it off this time, I didn't see where the washer fell out, so I don't know which bolt to put it on. Due to the curvature of the plate, it looks like the LR bolt might use a top washer, but there were no round washer marks on the plate or the rivnuts or mounting posts. From underneath, there is no reason to believe that one mounting point would need a top washer. Help! Anyone know where the top washer goes?

MonsterTDI09

TDI
I just had my MVIV Panzer Plate off for the first time. My guru put it on in the winter when I had him doing other things, and I had no place to work on it. I remember him telling me that one of the bolts has washers above and below the plate. When I took it off this time, I didn't see where the washer fell out, so I don't know which bolt to put it on. Due to the curvature of the plate, it looks like the LR bolt might use a top washer, but there were no round washer marks on the plate or the rivnuts or mounting posts. From underneath, there is no reason to believe that one mounting point would need a top washer. Help! Anyone know where the top washer goes?

On my plate the washer went on by the sub frame.

bbadanov

missing washer

Conan, the spacer washer you're talking about goes on the center rear bolt, between the plate and the sub-frame. I just put my Panzer plate on yesterday, and it's great. Good luck with it.

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Thanks Boris. Er, I mean Daniel. The PP was the first mod I put on my car, and one of my favorites. When I got the car it had a new oil pan (dealer had to replace the destroyed one), no splash plate, and about 1/8" ground off of the bottom of the A/C compressor. Six months into having the plate, and I estimate that it has saved me two or three oil pans, just from road debris and steep driveways.

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
JSPerformance

I ordered a skid plate back on June 8th from this company, and they said it would ship in two days. I am still waiting, and called them about 2 weeks ago to see what is going on. They mentioned a postal strike in Canada, and that they would try to get it shipped out, by going to the US if possible. I still have not heard back from them, and tried emailing yesterday and left a phone message today.

Should I give up on them and request a refund at this point and go with another company? This is the first time doing business with them, but am disappointed at the lack of communication from them. They were quick to respond to my emails prior to billing me though :mad:

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
easy oil change

The postal strike is wreaking havoc.

I personally prefer the steel OEM skidplates, as sold by VW, WorldImpex, and ECS tuning.
Do any of these skid plates allow for easy access to oil changes, or would the plate have to be removed first?

I can only imagine the mess made by the strike, but I would have appreciated some notice from the company about the delay of the skid plate. At least wait until shipping the skid plate before charging me for it!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
On some of them there is a cutout, on others, starting holes for you to make a cutout, if you wish, on some there is no oil change access.

On my wife's 2010 Jetta, I think that I could put in a Fumoto oil drain valve, and reach in from the side opening to drain it, with the steel OEM skidplate.

But I just take it off and inspect.

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Do any of these skid plates allow for easy access to oil changes, or would the plate have to be removed first?
I have the aluminum Panzer Plate, with a "window" for oil changes. I personally haven't tried it, but I doubt that you can get all the oil out through the window without it getting all over the plate. I got two cheap plastic ramps, and that gives me enough room to get underneath and take the plate off in my driveway. Five bolts, and it's light enough that I can hold it up with one hand while I'm getting the bolts started. It is also good to be able to inspect stuff, and make sure the plate isn't getting any fluids on it. Mine is squeaky clean on the top (engine) side. Unless you're having to change oil in a snowbank, it's a no-brainer to take the plate off for maintenance. Highly recommended.

CLUTCHNSHIFT

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI / 6-Speed Automatic DSG w/Tiptronic® / Deep Black / VIN: 3VWRL71K89Mxxxxxx
Skid Plates

So you guys really swear by these skid plates, huh? Any one in particular that stands out? After doing my oil changes I have come to notice that there are definite scrape marks on my 09's plastic skid plate and it only reminds me that it's just a matter of time before a real good scrape comes along and makes off with more than just plastic.

Feedback appreciated...

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Yup. Swear by 'em. Pros/Cons have been discussed a lot. You want a hole where you can drain oil if you don't use the topside oil change method. They all protect well. I went with steel primarily for robustness. It has affected my ride height though but that will be alleviated soon with a lift. No need to worry about corrosion. I have joined the 800 mile club twice since installing so milage isn't an issue either.

IMO, should be one's first mod.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I ordered a skid plate back on June 8th from this company, and they said it would ship in two days. I am still waiting, and called them about 2 weeks ago to see what is going on. They mentioned a postal strike in Canada, and that they would try to get it shipped out, by going to the US if possible. I still have not heard back from them, and tried emailing yesterday and left a phone message today.
Should I give up on them and request a refund at this point and go with another company? This is the first time doing business with them, but am disappointed at the lack of communication from them. They were quick to respond to my emails prior to billing me though :mad:
The mail strike was sheer hell for a lot of people and crossing the line to ship an item(s) can be costly at best.

July 1st was Canada Day. I can't speak for the schedule at JSP but I do know they stand behind what they sell.

The Armadillo plate has a cut out that allows oil to drain on a level service and probably even better on ramps.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
2-350 seems very very expensive for a minimal bend piece of aluminum has anybody made their own?

The kit comes with brackets and hardware to.

Last edited: