Skid plate available for TDI through ECS

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I was just looking at the pictures, it looks like this thing just replaces the plastic belly cover. I am not impressed with the strength of the mounting hardware. A skid plate is only as sturdy as it mounts are. Unless I am missing something (possible), I would probably go with a DieselGeek or Evolution skidplate just based on mounting hardware ( & method) alone.

Have Fun!

Don

Mr.TDI

TDI
15 GSW
It says all sub models i assume it fits wagens.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
I don't have a Mk VII yet, but I would rather wait for a Dieselgeek Panzer plate myself. :)

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I was just looking at the pictures, it looks like this thing just replaces the plastic belly cover. I am not impressed with the strength of the mounting hardware. A skid plate is only as sturdy as it mounts are. Unless I am missing something (possible), I would probably go with a DieselGeek or Evolution skidplate just based on mounting hardware ( & method) alone.

Have Fun!

Don

The thickness is the same as my MkIV Atlas skid plate (about 4.8mm), so that's decent.

The rear mounting points go to the subframe, I believe. That seems okay, but I'm not sure what's up with the front. If it doesn't bolt to something pretty solid I could see it getting peeled back, which would do no good.

I won't be crawling under the 2015 until around October when it needs another oil change, otherwise I'd report back on what the skid plate mounts look like. Maybe someone else can have a look if you're planning some maintenance. Pictures would be nice.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
been waiting for over 1 year with no news yet
I am thinking that if more people were to harass Jim, things might start to happen. I don't think he realizes how much of a demand there is...

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Why does a street car need a skidplate
Skid plates for TDIs became popular because on the MkIV's the oil pan hung very low and could easily hit something. There is a legitimate need on those cars.

For the newer ones, it might not be as important, but since the forums are full of stories about MkIV owners knocking holes in their pans, it gives everyone the idea that they need one.

Also, people living in rural areas were roads may not be paved, and/or may be full of potholes, debris such as ice-chunks, branches, rocks etc, may benefit from a skid plate.

Those living in a major city who only use their car to go get groceries probably don't need a skid plate, or even a TDI. They could get by with a Nissan Leaf, Golf Cart, or similar vehicle.

With a skid plate you could drive here. Wouldn't try without one.

Last edited:

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
The road that leads to our house is dirt/gravel. 3.5 miles worth. So far no issues in the 25+ years we have lived here. We move larger obstacles off the road.

Last edited:

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Great. Another I see no need for a skid plate thread. Those of us that have them drive more confidently when faced with road hazards. Like the drawer that fell off an idiot's truck right in front of me at night so I didn't see it until I was right on top of it. Needless to say the skid plate splintered the thing vs my undercarriage. Did it save me. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that stuff. Lots of ice and rock chunks around here. Again, you know your roads. Good luck.

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
You're right, I do not want or need one. A nice fitting mesh grill attachment to protect the radiator/ac radiator is more important IMO. If you think my posts get's in the way of one being manufactured I'll delete it for you.

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Looks like a decent gravel shield as it is. Add a couple solid upright stantions to the frame (unibody) in the front and it should be close to on par with a true skid plate like the DG or Atlas pans. At least strong enough to roll over that 20 lb. Racoon scampering across the road on your way home in the evening, without damaging your oil pan. I believe the ground clearance, engine tilt and oil capacity remain unchanged in the mk7 so I assume low hanging tdi oil pan is still a concern to many folks.