SKC Key PIN code needed. How?

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Hello,
I have VCDS full paid version, I recently made Vag Commander work with my cable. My intention is to get the SKC PIN from my Cluster.
This is on my 2000 Beetle TDi.
I recently Upgraded my cluster, I do have the SKC from the original cluster.
I now need to retrieve the key from theone I am installing. My car runs fine, except for the Immobilizer light flashing. I had sent out my ECU to get immobilizer delete few years ago, so the car starts and runs fine with the new cluster.
When I try to connect to my engine module using vag commander I get a message unable to connect to device. Does anybody have any idea how to do this?
I also have an old Vag Tacho cable and software but it does not see its own cable.
I will also need to fix my mileage.
I have done this in the past in another Bettle TDi I had.
Now I can't.
Any help or tips would be appreciated.
I ran Vag commander in windows 10, and windows XP still no luck, same error unable to connect to device.
Thank you.

*This is the cluster I installed in my Beetle TDi

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Depends on which VAG-K+Commander you're using. Some apparently don't work.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yeah none of the versions I got ever worked. I still dont have my SKC pin.
This is on a 2000 Beetle, correct? There should be no reason VAG-K+CAN Commander 1.4 would not be able to connect to the cluster in a IMMO 1 vehicle. There's either something wrong with the cable you're using with Commander or the cluster you bought was fubar to begin with.

First, from what car did the new cluster come from? There may be compatibility issues. Post up the part number of the new cluster. When you say it's an upgrade what do you mean here?

Accessing the cluster and retrieving the PIN with Commander should be no problem here.

EDIT...I guess you may have IMMO2, but that's still not a problem, unless the new cluster is not compatible with the older system.....

Steve

Last edited:

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
The cluster I got if from UK, this type of cluster pictured above is 2007, we did not have New Beetles tdi in the US in 2007. By the way my IMMO was deleted from the ecu.
The car drives just fine, I just dont like the IMMO light flashing also the miles do not match.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Many people solve the flashing IMMO light with some black electrical tape behind the cluster on top of the yellow LED, but that won't make your miles match of course.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The cluster I got if from UK, this type of cluster pictured above is 2007, we did not have New Beetles tdi in the US in 2007. By the way my IMMO was deleted from the ecu.
The car drives just fine, I just dont like the IMMO light flashing also the miles do not match.
Ok, I'm speculating here, and that's based on the knowledge I have but since Europe (or the UK) is a different situation I cannot say that this is absolutely correct.

I've not been able to determine for certain which IMMO version a 2007 new beetle in the UK would have had, but my guess is that it's IMMO4, which was implemented differently than the version on your Beetle originally in 2000. The IMMO function is provided by the cluster for IMMO4, but you should still be able to modify and disable the IMMO similarly to what you did with the ECU...or at least I would think so, however, none of that can be done via VAG-com, and you may not be able to do it at all if there's a conflict with the software you use to read and adapt the cluster because of the ECU version you have....or at least you can't read and adapt the cluster with it installed. VAG Commander may not recognize IMMO function in the cluster if it knows that ordinarily your ECU handles that....even if disabled.

That would be my guess at this point. Since the cluster has an IMMO and your ECU has IMMO also (although disabled) it doesn't resolve the issue of where that function resides...for the software.

I think for the best result you are going to have to read the cluster eeprom via a clip in isolation (disconnected from the car), so that you can disable the IMMO and perhaps edit and reset mileage to what you want. I think that can be done with VAG Commander but you would need an appropriate clip to attach to the cluster eeprom.

That's the extent of my 'speculation' on this for now. I'll have to see if I can find more about what needs to be done. I'm going to be doing something similar in the future....IMMO4 disable in TDI ECU and changes in the cluster for miles. I need a B6 highline cluster for TDI for this conversion, and B6 Passat is worse because IMMO4D is not in the cluster, it's in the CCM.

Steve

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You can cover the flashing immo light with a piece of black electrical tape. Pull the cluster and separate the face and put a small piece of tape directly over the bulb, make sure you get the right bulb. That’s what I did with my wife’s beetle after an immo delete.

That cluster looks like a gasser cluster. The rpm indicator goes to 7k.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
You can cover the flashing immo light with a piece of black electrical tape. Pull the cluster and separate the face and put a small piece of tape directly over the bulb, make sure you get the right bulb. That’s what I did with my wife’s beetle after an immo delete.

That cluster looks like a gasser cluster. The rpm indicator goes to 7k.
Good observation, it likely is a gasser cluster, all TDI 'orange' line at about 4750rpm, not 5800rpm...

Steve

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Good observation, it likely is a gasser cluster, all TDI 'orange' line at about 4750rpm, not 5800rpm...

Steve
Hello

It is not a Gasser cluster. It is a cluster from a 2007 Beetle TDI from Germany. It does have the glow plug light (looks like a little spring)

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hello

It is not a Gasser cluster. It is a cluster from a 2007 Beetle TDI from Germany. It does have the glow plug light (looks like a little spring)
There's no TDI (passenger cars that redlines at 5800 rpm. Having the part number for the cluster would resolve this problem.

I still think this is a cluster mismatch issue and you're better off just pulling the bulb rather than fuss with getting it turned off.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hello

This is a Beetle TDI cluster....doesn't matter what year...no TDI had redline start higher than 4750 rpm.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Here's a hint for VAG-Commander....you may have to load the Ross-Tech USB VCP drivers....I did on both laptops. Also remember to run VAG-Commander as admin. Also, the VCP driver install is garbage in typical Windows fashion, it's unsigned and Windows doesn't find (read accept) it unless you force it to use it. First check to see what comm port Commander wants to see, if it's 3 or 4 then there's likely a conflict. Mine originally wanted to see comm port 3 but there was a conflict. Once I installed the VCP drivers and I selected to use comm port 2 Commander was fine.

I had no problem getting Commander to see the 2000 Beetle TDI ECU (EDC15) I have here and obtain the ECU pin code. Actually it might be an SKC from that far back....don't know. It was a 5 digit code IIRC. That was on the Win8.1 laptop...fyi, the WInXP laptop never would see anything, even with the VCP drivers installed.

However, whether you are able to connect to the cluster (kombi) via Commander is another story, but give it a shot.

Also, don't be surprised if you have to unload the VCP drivers and reload the current USB driver for Ross-tech, but try Vag-com first before you do that. I could not run Vag-com and Commander with the same drivers loaded on anything...old XP laptop or newer Win8.1 laptop. And Vag-com complained about the age of the driver when I loaded it.

The problem is that there's no repository or instructions for exactly how to set this all up...I figured it out via trial and error with tidbits of info from a wide range of sources and past posts on utube, other forums etc. It's hit or miss...but "unable to connect to device" was a consistent theme with USB issues.

Good luck

Steve

Last edited:

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
The picture of the cluster on my initial post is NOT the cluster installed in my car.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
This is a Beetle TDI cluster....doesn't matter what year...no TDI had redline start higher than 4750 rpm.

Steve

The picture above is the same old type I removed from My beetle. The picture on my initial post is NOT the one installed in my beetle.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
*This is the cluster I installed in my Beetle TDi

This very clearly says that THIS is the installed cluster....

And the only reason I used that photo is for demonstration of TDI rpm....which redline at 4750rpm. The cluster you posted as being installed in your car is a gas cluster....

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is the cluster I am talking about installed in my Beetle. Lets forget about my initial post showing that old cluster.
This is the one I am having a hard time getting the pin code out of it.