Single Mass Flywheel and Clutch Replacement

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
I ordered a Sachs Single Mass and Clutch. I know I need two special tools including a Clutch Centering tool and A Flywheel locking tool. Questioning the Clutch Centering tool choice as I read that the specific tool can vary with specific clutch type, brand etc. Is this correct or can I use any or a universal tool? Any links to a tool known to work with the Sachs stage 1? would be cool or if I can pick one up at say AutoZone that would be great. Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you got a kit, it will come with an alignment tool. They typically do. There are universal ones, with interchangeable cones, that also will work. I have one of those, and while not as nice as the little plastic jobs the kits come with, it will get the job done.

I also have the flywheel lock tool, as well as a universal counterhold tool. You can also make something with a bolt, nut, and a screwdriver if need be.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
I'll see if it comes with the alignment tool. If not AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced etc. or online. As far as the universal counter-hold tool I am not familiar with is this a universal flywheel locking tool?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4 and the Cummins-es
The +90 degrees is a right PITA if one of your paws is doing counter hold tool duty... :)
cheers,
Douglas