Simulate kerb weight using jack?

Noseve

TDI
Golf Plus 1.9 2008
Hi - when re-fitting rear shock-absorbers, I understand that torque of the lower mounting bolt should be set with the wheels on the ground. Having said that, it doesn't look as though my torque wrench+ socket will fit with the springs in place.

Alternatively can I, before removing the wheel, record the measurement from the centre of the wheel to a reference point directly above it, then after the shock is in place, jack up the hub to create that same distance from hub centre to my reference point and tighten to correct torque?

Does it matter whether the spring is in place when jacking up?

Any thoughts, or better still, definitive answer would be really appreciated. Thanks.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
If it isn't possible to get in there with a torque wrench and a socket, can you still reach the bolt with a simple box-end wrench or some other "unsophisticated" tool? My thinking is that this is just a simple bolt that holds a shock absorber in place, and the torque applied to the bolt really doesn't matter all that much, as long as it is tight "enough".

I do not see anything wrong with the idea you proposed here. By jacking up the hub, you are simulating the force that compresses the absorber when the wheel is on the ground, and it should not matter whether the absorber is in place when you jack up the car, as long as the bolt is loosened during the jacking, and tightened only after you reach the correct distance you determined earlier.

Noseve

TDI
Golf Plus 1.9 2008
Thanks, Soot1. I have reached the conclusion that it is not so much the weight, as the amount of compression that matters, so the same distance should achieve that. In which case, it follows, it should make no difference that I'm going to be doing it with the spring removed. I appreciate what you say about the tightness, but for suspension parts I'd rather use the torque wrench. I have only just bought it, with this job as justification for doing so, after all!

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
If there is not enough room to swing a torque wrench when it is on it's wheels you can first tighten the bolt enough to hold the bushing in position. It does not take that much. Then, lift it and finish torquing the it to the correct reading.