Simplest way to disable EGR?

grimlock

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, Black
Hi,

I tried searching info on EGR. (way too much!!!, and I couldn't find a simple answer)

I just cleaned my intake, and needless to say, I don't want to do it again, EVER. I already have done the EGR mod through vag-com, but I do at LOT of city driving....

Is it correct to just unplug the vaccuum line going to the EGR, plug with a golf tee, and plug the tiny inlet on the EGR? I realize this may (or may not?) throw a code on my B4.

Please let me know, thanks.

Richard

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
Yes you can just take the vacuum line to stop the egr from opening. It make turn on the cel but it may take a litte longer with vag-com set.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I have 40k on my '03 J wagon. I have had egr adapted and a ccv catch can since new. This evening I removed the egr to take a peek inside- not pretty. I estimate there was about 5mm of crud already. Golf tee went into the vacuum line. Time will tell how long it will take to get a CEL.

dubburke

Veteran Member
TDI
seat toledo tdi 1996 white
I have plugged the vacuum line to egr valve but it leaves the egr valve end open, does it matter or should i cover it?

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Golf tee is all you need. The open "nipple" to the EGR can remain so. Without a vaccum applied, the EGR will remain closed.

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline
Did it plug up even when you did the Vag-Com mod? I make sure mine sees the redline once a day, hopefully that will stop buildup.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I belived the vag-com mod slows the buildup of crud, but doesn't fully eliminate it. A good CCV filter helps alot also.

Before I plugged the EGR line, I used the vag-com method but with it saw a loss in performance and fuel economy, so I think that vag-com setting effects other things besides just the EGR cycling.

BTW I have the EGR vaccum line plugged and I have yet to get a CEL (over 30k miles)...but I do get the error code if I scan with vag-com

grimlock

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, Black
Did it plug up even when you did the Vag-Com mod? I make sure mine sees the redline once a day, hopefully that will stop buildup.
I didn't get to egr/vag-com mod until about ~95,000km, I bought it just under two years ago with @ ~93,500kms.... I'm currently at ~118,500 kms. I know that last owner didn't have the intake cleaned, and he sure as hell didn't have the egr modified....

I'm plugging the EGR vaccuum line tonight, and trying to get my hands on an ON CCV.

Richard

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle
Why modify or eliminate the EGR system? The EGR gasses will not cause the clogging to occur. It is the oil that is being depositied in combination with the EGR gasses. The engine is designed to accommodate the EGR and in fact alters it's settings depending on whether it thinks it is opening or closing the EGR, whether it actually is or not. The EGR also contributes to emissions cleanliness, and some have found that they get lower mileage when running without it. Forget fooling with the MAF - it's the oil in there that has to go. Using an efficient aftermarked CCV system will eliminate oil from the intake tract, thus keeping the intercooler and all related tubing free of blown oil - and keeping the intake deposits from forming.

Mark