Simple turbo upgrade for 1z/ahu tdi

alghamedGT

TDI
GOLF MK3 AHU
Hi folks
Since i have a failling turbo i think its good to upgrade it .
I want a very simple plug and play bolt on turbo with no hassles of changing the ecu or remaping or welding some extreme stuffs
My power goal 120-150hp
I know i will need to increase the fuel supply so maybe i wil install 0.205 or 0.216 injectors
My options from searching on the web :
- K24 with intake and exhaust manifold from aaz or 1.6 td
- gt17 maybe ?
-Vnt 15 or 17 with intake and exhaust manifold from afn but i dont know how to control it since its a vgt and my car has a wastegated turbo gt15
Or something else . Any ideas ?
Also i want to ask about turbo reliability because i bought my car with a failing gt15 turbo and i replaced it with another gt15 from junk yard that has no play at all and it failed again after about 4months
Do i have a problem in my car or its just the turbo is just bad from sitting too long in junk yard.
What do i need to inspect ?

Im new to turbo stuff and i dont want to buy another turbo and failing after a short period
Thanks guys

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
If you go VGT you'll have to get it tuned to utilize it. I've asked some of the same questions recently, maybe give a look at my thread.

alghamedGT

TDI
GOLF MK3 AHU
Hybrid is not a choice for me its very expensive in my country
Old turbos are dirt cheap here form junk yard i dont care if i need to change the exhaust or intake manifold its also cheap
The important is to be bolt on i dont want to weld some extreme stuffs
The car is a daily drive i dont need crazy high horse power just 120 to 150 is enough for me

Vnt15 are available with manifolds but i dont know how to control it with my wastegated ecu and i dont want to reprogram the ecu

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
The important is to be bolt on i dont want to weld some extreme stuffs
The car is a daily drive i dont need crazy high horse power just 120 to 150 is enough for me

Vnt15 are available with manifolds but i dont know how to control it with my wastegated ecu and i dont want to reprogram the ecu
Asking for the impossible

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Like others mentioned, the only "truly" plug and play solution that's an improvement is the K03/K04 Hybrid. Anything else is going to require a new exhaust manifold, charge pipes, downpipe, engine mount, additional tuning, or any combo thereof.

alghamedGT

TDI
GOLF MK3 AHU
No u didnt understand
I know its impossible to bolt on a turbo without changing anything
And i have no problems to change the intake and the exhaust manifold and the downpipe from another available car
Intake and exhaust manifolds from 1.6 td are dirt cheap
AAZ manifolds also available all 1.9 parts are cheap here

alghamedGT

TDI
GOLF MK3 AHU
i have a friend who has a mk2 1.6 td recently installed a k24 no problem
he changed his injectors and now the car has more power than stock
is 1.6 manifolds can be bolted into a tdi head ? if it can work maybe i choose that for simplicity sake
i will install bigger injectors soon

Chungus

TDI
B4 Wagon
You can bolt a k24 and matching manifold onto an AHU but you can't plug and play install 1.6td intercooler & exhaust piping. Would need to custom fab which would probably run you more than a hybrid unless you can weld. K24 would be pretty laggy anyways

alghamedGT

TDI
GOLF MK3 AHU
yes thats what i found on the internet and
I think k14 will be better and not laggy as k24
Or maybe a k03 ? With exhaust manifold from aaz

0.216 nozzles i think i have enough fuel to upgrade from the small gt15

I know vnt is a better choice gt1749 are cheap and available but i dont want the hassels of modify the ecu
If i found a replacement afn ecu in junk yard it will be great but its very rare here

alghamedGT

TDI
GOLF MK3 AHU
i just bought a gt1749v with its exhaust manifold bolt on is it easy to fit in 1z/ ahu engine ?
i will buy a downpipe , n75 and maybe afn ecu

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500