Simple straightforward answer needed for stock stereo swap

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Ok, which year Jetta Radio is a DIRECT SWAP WITH NO MODS NEEDED WHATSOEVER to get a aux input to run my iPhone.

If you have a better idea ( aftermaket unit ) that has bluetooth as well as satellite compatibility and Navigation… please let me know. I am only interested in units that function excellent.. no garbage. Thanks!!!
peter

lilsmokey

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
I have a 2005 and I bought JVC KW-HDR81BT from crutchfield.

They sent me wiring harness that snapped right in, and I had to buy the antenna amplifier, crutchfield sent me a single amplifier, but my car had dual. Crutchfield also sent me the control box to keep the steering wheel controls. I am not sure that this was necessary. I installed it, and the only thing that I have noticed is when I click through my MFD it changes my radio station. Kind of annoying, but only does it in radio mode, ipod or cd does not do anything.

I am very happy with the unit, especially since I could change the color scheme to match VW dash. It was an easy install, done in an hour, and best to buy the plastic trim remover tool. Looks like a shim, worked great.

paoutdoorsman

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta TDI
Peter, an RCD510 is a direct swap into your 06 Jetta, which has built in satellite radio and the ability to add an Aux port. You will need a satellite antenna, an Aux harness, and an antenna adapter.

If you are looking for direct swap with navigation as well, an RNS510 gives you that capability as well.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
No it doesn't but I am hoping to add the MFD as well as the steering wheel controls later

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you have to add anything to get the navigation? Ie any additional equipment besides the head unit? Is this a satellite based system? Also do any of them come with Bluetooth?

hossfly

TDI
Jetta SW,2009 Manual
Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT is what I am running. I don't know what Pioneer's current model is. I have ipod connected, I stream Pandora on my iPhone over blue tooth and the artist and song title show up. I have backup up camera attached too. The head rest have monitors for movies off my ipod or the built in dvd for the kid (with head phones)in back seat and i can still listen to Pandora or iPod if kid is watching dvd. The Navigation works great.

paoutdoorsman

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta TDI
Do you have to add anything to get the navigation? Ie any additional equipment besides the head unit? Is this a satellite based system? Also do any of them come with Bluetooth?
Yes, you would need to get a GPS antenna for either of the nav units. Both would be capable of Bluetooth, however the Bluetooth module and harness are separate optional components.

eric-satx

TDI
2006 MKV x2
I put in the Kenwood that is specifically designed for VW:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX719V/Kenwood-DNX719VHD.html?tp=20217

I reused the stock satellite antenna and got the $70 Sirius module. It has everything else built in. Except I provided a rear camera. I got the harness with the steering wheel controls and just programmed the volume and mute. Having the MFD buttons change the station was just annoying.

blackty

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi (sold)--2005 Jetta 2.5 Tiptronic---1993 GMC Typhoon---2003 2500HD Silverado---2012 WRX Wagon
I am looking to replace my daughter's factory radio in her mkV a d Crutchfield's adapter is more than the radio. Is this the adapter that was provided to you with your purchase?

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
I put in the Kenwood that is specifically designed for VW:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX719V/Kenwood-DNX719VHD.html?tp=20217

I reused the stock satellite antenna and got the $70 Sirius module. It has everything else built in. Except I provided a rear camera. I got the harness with the steering wheel controls and just programmed the volume and mute. Having the MFD buttons change the station was just annoying.

For future reference if you use the enfig module for SWC it works much better. You get a screen that says audio on the MFD so that you can change stations and stuff without cycling through the MFD display.

blackty

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi (sold)--2005 Jetta 2.5 Tiptronic---1993 GMC Typhoon---2003 2500HD Silverado---2012 WRX Wagon
No steering wheel controls or amp. under seat. But has sunroof and heated seats?? Thanks...Jim

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
No need to change the radio to add auxiliary input.. if you don't use the sat radio. cut the output wires from the back of the sat unit in the trunk and splice in a cable that you run to your center console. Just Youtube MK5 aux input..;)