Simple Alh mTDI build

Tuco21

TDI
Bits and pieces
I have been reading an searching...etc but I am still looking for a simple build recipe.
I am installing a 2003 ALH in a jet boat. That means that it will be a stand alone engine with nothing but a driveshaft hooked to the flywheel. No clutch, no suspension, and best of all no space limitations. The doghouse that the engine will live in can be any size.
The engine is from a 2003 jetta with a little less than 200k. My goal is to make as much power as I can that the engine can sustain. In a jet boat the higher the rpm's go the more power is absorbed by the pump. So I can change the impeller to raise or lower the amount of power used but not change the power absorption curve.
My goal would be to make between 150-200hp for a long period of time (potentially hours) at about 2500-3200 rpm without killing the engine, excessive egt's...etc
I have an 11mm pump from a rover 300tdi. I can fabricate well enough to make an exhaust manifold to attach to any turbo. I also have a water to air intercooler that will have cold lake water running through it (usually 70*f or less)
My idea is to use R520 nozzles and a big turbo but I really don't know enough about diesels to make this up my self.
What I need is a basic prescription to follow for what turbo and nozzles...etc to make this power and lower get goal.
I was recommended a k20-24 hybrid turbo and R520 nozzles but without much of an idea what it would do.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Matt.

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
A Cummins or Isuzu 4 cylinder engine would be better suited to making those numbers at those revs. An alh can make 200hp but usually a bit further up the tach. I suppose you could build it with forged rods, block girdle, studs, fire rings, and a compound setup but for that money, you could've bought the engine and turbo you need and have durability

sent from my mobile look at device

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
An ALH is never going to hold up to those power levels continuously. You would want a straight 6 engine like a cummins at minimum.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
While I do agree that a larger engine would be best I do think that it could be possible with some modifications. Your main issue would be keeping the pistons cool I would think so larger oil squirter's would be in order. If you can keep everything cool this might have a chance of surviving.

Personally I'd bump the revs to 3500 assuming this doesn't put the tip speed of the impeller into possible cavitation. ARL pistons, rods, head studs, larger oil squirter's and a LARGE oil cooler would be next on the list. For a turbo I'd probably go larger than a K24, probably something like a hy/hx35 with a 9cm or 12cm housing. There would be some decent lag with that large of a turbo but it would keep the egt's down and the compressor would still be efficient. I'd even think about knocking the cr down a bit to 18:1-17.5:1 since cold weather starting would not be an issue. I'd also look into the possibility of running nozzles larger than R520's just to keep the injection window nice and short.

Keep in mind that what I wrote is just my opinion and quite possibly could be wrong.:D

Tuco21

TDI
Bits and pieces
So, apparently, my goals were a little high:D

I don't want to get into the block or head if I can help it. Changing a cam would be simple and I was thinking stronger head bolts but beyond that I would rather just deal with less power. I want to make something reliable and then go from there. I know that I would get more hp running higher rpm's but it gets annoying quickly so it is worth it to keep them as low as reasonably achievable. The pump runs efficiently below 5k so that is not an issue.

I will re-ask the question with different goals.
What would be a good set of injectors and turbo to make as much hp as possible for sustained periods of time between 2500 and 3500rpm using a stock block. Max hp could be at much higher revs but I want 2500-3500 to be my useable running range.

What other mods would help that are simple and cheap? Turbo lag and drivability are not a concern. Neither is space.

I have been offered a set of race520's with 7hole nozzles for a decent price and I have a 2.5" water to air intercooler that will provide endless water at <80*.
So what would work with my goals.

Thanks for the responses so far. Matt

Tuco21

TDI
Bits and pieces
I'll ask a different way since my previous question was less specific.

How much power could I expect from a k24 turbo running 20psi, an 11mm pump, and r520 7hole nozzles? At what rpm would I make the power and what would you consider a safe running rpm/power level.

Thanks, Matt.

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
You may want to reconsider, or at least do some more research on, those 7 holes. If I recall, there were some threads about issues with them but that was a while ago

sent from my mobile look at device

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
I've had a 1.9pd (bpx from an ibiza cupra) in my jetboat for 10 years now and have put 1800 hours on it with it still going strong. Exenos has good advice with the arl pistons and upgraded squirters. The key in my opinion to making it last for long periods at high load is enough airflow to keep the egt's down to about 1100f max(preturbo) for continuous running. I have run for 4+ hours at 135 hp @ 3100 rpm and 30 psi boost with egt's just over 1000*f and no issues. Running a gtb2056vl turbo. I have the stock bpx oil cooler but run river water through it rather than engine coolant and the oil stays plenty cool.

Tuco21

TDI
Bits and pieces
I know about your boat and it is actually what made me decide to give this a try. Is the 135hp@3100 using the SD309 and an A4? I have the same setup and also a three stage Kodiak. I am not sure which I'll use although the sd309 is in a boat and I would need to build one for the Kodiak.
I think I'll just put it together and see what I get since there doesn't seem to be 'standard' builds for certain power levels. I am going to try going big on the turbo for more airflow and I won't be on plane below 2500 anyway so if it can build pressure by then I will be happy.
Finding turbo info that will work for me isn't as easy. I think I will get a k24 since it is cheap and available and the only WG turbo that I have been recommended that should fit my needs.
Thanks, Matt.
I've had a 1.9pd (bpx from an ibiza cupra) in my jetboat for 10 years now and have put 1800 hours on it with it still going strong. Exenos has good advice with the arl pistons and upgraded squirters. The key in my opinion to making it last for long periods at high load is enough airflow to keep the egt's down to about 1100f max(preturbo) for continuous running. I have run for 4+ hours at 135 hp @ 3100 rpm and 30 psi boost with egt's just over 1000*f and no issues. Running a gtb2056vl turbo. I have the stock bpx oil cooler but run river water through it rather than engine coolant and the oil stays plenty cool.

TDI
Mk2 ahu GTI building a RHD ahu mk3 golf , 81 rabbit 1.6d
You can get a 2052 and can get it in a WG only set up bit more efficient thank the older k24 iv heard form a few people who have ran both and make a bit more power buddy has one on his AHU with ARP head studs stage 2 colt cam R520's air to water IC and it's a lot of fun he's running 25psi normally..... with going the Mtdi set up I'd give Gilies a call and have him work his magic ask about having the IP built for the set up and desired boost he's dose great work can see a nice improvement on a motor after having a pump reworked by him let him know the details on your build and he'll do his thing

Believe you can also find a 2056 WG also just Gota search around

Here's the Link to the 2052WG
http://www.idparts.com/garrett-2052-turbo-p-2597.html

Last edited:

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
Yes that is with a 9 1/2"(A4) impeller in a SD309.

Tuco21

TDI
Bits and pieces
Yes that is with a 9 1/2"(A4) impeller in a SD309.
This is good news for me as I can cruise at 2800-2900 now with an A4 in my 309 and that is with a SBC so dropping a couple hundred pounds with make it that much easier. Also, I probably don't need as much hp as I thought. Of course more is always better.

Matt.

Tuco21

TDI
Bits and pieces
It doesn't have to be either. I have a zz383 in the boat now and I have been working on getting a Honda Fit 1.5L to run on megasquirt but I have always liked the Vw diesels. I have an ALH that I want to use but I am not opposed to any of the other engines. I may try a newer one after I get this one running.

Matt