Silver JSW - Loved driving it

JKC_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Passat TDI DSG | '15 Passat TDI SE Manual (sold 7/2018) | '10 Jetta Wagon TDI manual (sold 4/2015)
Folks...I've been reading the forum since I bought my '10 JSW in Oct 2009. I loved the car. I planned to keep it for a LONG time...but...it was a too small for my needs. I'm 6'6" and my growing children (10 & 12) were fighting not to sit behind dad. There was not enough room. I waited until the '16 GSW became available to see if the size difference with the extra wheelbase is significant. It is not.

So...I saw (what I think was) a good offer on a '15 Passat TDI SE Manual and bought it. I was super bummed driving a boat compared to the tight JSW.

But...came to peace with it. When I got my JSW and built crossbars with boat cleats to put a canoe on top...my neighbor teased me that I was turning my JSW into a swiss army knife. He was right. I really liked the vehicle.

But...I needed bigger back seats and didn't want an auto or hybrid and did not want to give up economy...so...I now drive a Passat.

Thanks for all the helpful and entertaining threads.

A certain Doc in a town near Raleigh now has a great car. I hope he enjoys the ride. He loved the car for its quirks, warts, and it's Fahrvergnügen. I tried to impress upon him the importance of the HPFP issue without dis-selling the car. He was ear to ear smiles. Car is for his sweet 16, but he was going to drive it himself "for a few weeks". He was driving a Fiat 500. He'll be a diesel convert, but will eventually graduate to the more prestigious German marques. He would have paid more, I would have accepted less, but neither of us felt like haggling and he offered a pretty fair price so I accepted his first offer so neither would leave with a sour taste in our mouth. It was a really nice craigslist transaction.

I did not tell him about the forum, but alluded to things I learned on-line in forums, so he will find his way here, if interested. Hey doc...if you read this, the funny sticker on the window is an outline of Madeline Island WI, a place near and dear to me.

So...you don't know me because I've only posted a few times, but I've read this forum regularly and have enjoyed it. Thanks for all who contribute!

Moving on to read threads that pertain to EA288 powered vehicles. Cheers!

Joe

Last edited:

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
I guess I will never understand reasoning for getting rid of a car. I raised 2 kids in car seats in the back of my lifted Jeep Wrangler, but people get on forums saying there isn't enough room. Now you are saying that there isn't enough room in the JSW. I'm 6' .5" and my kids are 10 and 15. We put them in the back(neither have preference of which side) and go on long trips with lots of luggage without any complaints. We have had 5 tall adults in it for a semi long trip with no complaints. Me or my wife sits in the back sometimes when my older kid wants to nap on the trip. No offense, but I think you will have the same "problem" in the Passat.

Donald

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
That Passat back seat is awesome.....wish there was an American Passat Wagon....I'd certainly have one!!

JKC_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Passat TDI DSG | '15 Passat TDI SE Manual (sold 7/2018) | '10 Jetta Wagon TDI manual (sold 4/2015)
No offense, but I think you will have the same "problem" in the Passat.

Donald
I hear you..."getta load of this guy..he says he has a "problem"...that his kids fight in the back seat....Imagine that!" The problem is real and it is not kids fighting. Rather, it is that with me in the driver's, and the seat adjusted to my normal driving position, there is not enough room for an adult to sit behind me in the JSW. They would not be able to get their feet in, and there is no space to fit a calf between the floor and the top of the rear seat.

Yes, I can pull the seat forward an inch, give the seat 3 pumps up, and lean the seatback forward by an inch and I can still safely operate the vehicle and a small adult can fit. But...I do not want to drive people around that way.

When testing cars for carrying passengers, it seems reasonable to adjust the driver's seat, then assess the room remaining. An adult can ride behind me in a Fit and a Prius, but not in a JSW, a Golf, or a Mazda. Fit and Prius would still be tight, but it could be done. Just stating the facts. Obviously the Passat is a completely different size class compared to the compacts mentioned. I like driving small cars. The Golf & JSW are my favorite compacts among those I've driven from the driver's perspective (driver ergonomics/control/feel). However I can only reasonably carry two passengers (on the passenger side) in these. In the Passat, an adult can ride comfortably behind me.

cheers

Last edited:

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
I hear you..."getta load of this guy..he says he has a "problem"...that his kids fight in the back seat....Imagine that!" The problem is real and it is not kids fighting. Rather, it is that with me in the driver's, and the seat adjusted to my normal driving position, there is not enough room for an adult to sit behind me in the JSW. They would not be able to get their feet in, and there is no space to fit a calf between the floor and the top of the rear seat.

Yes, I can pull the seat forward an inch, give the seat 3 pumps up, and lean the seatback forward by an inch and I can still safely operate the vehicle and a small adult can fit. But...I do not want to drive people around that way.

When testing cars for carrying passengers, it seems reasonable to adjust the driver's seat, then assess the room remaining. An adult can ride behind me in a Fit and a Prius, but not in a JSW, a Golf, or a Mazda. Fit and Prius would still be tight, but it could be done. Just stating the facts. Obviously the Passat is a completely different size class compared to the compacts mentioned. I like driving small cars. The Golf & JSW are my favorite compacts among those I've driven from the driver's perspective (driver ergonomics/control/feel). However I can only reasonably carry two passengers (on the passenger side) in these. In the Passat, an adult can ride comfortably behind me.

cheers
You must have a different JSW than I do.

Donald

EricVA

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
I agree, the rear seat passenger leg space in the JSW is terrible. My teenagers hate riding back there. That's one of my few complaints with the vehicle.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
You must be assuming that you've both got the same length of leg and need the seat adjusted the same way...
It's not the length of the leg....it's the fact that some people drive too far from the controls. I can't imagine his legs being more than a couple inches longer than mine. My point was that Maybe it's not the car, but it is that he refuses to drive a little closer to the controls........just like everyone in Europe has to do in all of their small cars!! This car is big compared to the ones they drive in Europe on a daily basis. I put 5 adults in my 97 Wrangler without compaints, and it has less rear legroom.....and only 2 doors. My son is 6', and he rides behind me sometimes on trips....he doesn't complain. I think it was time for him to get a new car.....and in 2 more years....he will get another.

Donald

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I have a mkvi Golf tdi which front & rear legroom is pretty much the same as the jsw. I'm going to side with the OP's opinion. I personally have to have the seat adjusted all the way down and just a few clicks away from slid all the way back (I'm 6'4" with shoes on and long legged). I've attempted to sit behind myself, however it was pretty much impossible because I couldn't get my feet in. if I had a family or needed to carry folks around in the back seat often I too would have chosen a different car. The Passat or new Jetta both have more rear legroom then the mkvi golf/jsw

Last edited: