Silicone tubing for my B4

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
98JettaTDI said:
I guess I better replace it then. Any tricks to getting in there?
Not too difficult - first remove the plastic cover below the windshield on the passenger side to expose the ECU, then loosen a couple of screws attaching the ECU to it's bracket and slide it out.

You do not need to disconnect the ECU from the wiring harness - just flip it over, remove 4 torx screws, and slide the ECU cover off. The internal boost hose will now be visible, replacement and re-assembly is straightforward.

Simon

Cailean

TDI
Jetta 1997 Green
So I finally got around to replacing all my lines... since I'm a bonehead and ordered the lengths listed in this thread (I have an A3, not a B4) I have more left over than usual...

Most of the black lines were fairly straightforward 'cept for those factory clips! The red & blue lines, however, just about put me right 'round the bend! It's a good thing those nipples down at the turbo are metal and not plastic or they would be very broken right now...

Unfortunately, this morning I went into limp mode again, which means that my lines weren't the problem, argh.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Cailean-
Did you replace the small tube inside the ECU? did you try cleaning the N75 valve?

Cailean

TDI
Jetta 1997 Green
tditom said:
Did you replace the small tube inside the ECU?
No - it was in tip-top shape, and I was in a hurry - but now that I'm still going into limp mode, I'll go back and do it anyway... ;)
did you try cleaning the N75 valve?
No, not exactly clear on how I'm supposed to do that...

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
cleaning the N75-
pull the tubing off each port and spray it out with electronic cleaner/ flux remover.

tdenhartigh

TDI
98 Jetta TDI 192k mi
Tube Connection?

Hi all, I've replaced all my old boost lines with new silicone tubing lines, but when I was replaced a line near the firewall on the drivers side I think i pulled something apart that I shouldn't have. The old line was all cracked, so it's a good thing I replaced it, but now I can't get the plastic piece to connect properly.

The piece that I'm talking about is here...it's in the upper left corner...you can see a white piece of plastic tube, then the new silicone tube.

The problem that I'm having is the white piece that's near that foam stuff at the end of the new silicone tubing.

Here's what the connector piece looks like...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
BTW, the two lines that connect to the intake hose and the intercooler pipe, both near the valve cover, are the most critical. On mine, both were worn limp at the connection point due to the engine's vibration, and the engine was starting to go into power reduction mode quite often during highway driving and hill climbing. My quick-fix was to trim off about an inch from the end of each line and reconnect them. Now it has never gone into power-cut mode since then, since the ECU is getting correct boost readings.

LLL

Veteran Member
TDI
'95 Red Passat TDI 90hp 5 manual
tdenhartigh said:
Hi all, I've replaced all my old boost lines with new silicone tubing lines, but when I was replaced a line near the firewall on the drivers side I think i pulled something apart that I shouldn't have. The old line was all cracked, so it's a good thing I replaced it, but now I can't get the plastic piece to connect properly.

The piece that I'm talking about is here...it's in the upper left corner...you can see a white piece of plastic tube, then the new silicone tube.

The problem that I'm having is the white piece that's near that foam stuff at the end of the new silicone tubing.

Here's what the connector piece looks like...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tdenhartigh, If I'm correct, it's a cabin air recirculation plastic tube.

P2B:
... it is vacuum line that operates an air baffle inside the cabin.
It opens and closes the flapper at the cabin blower.

It's not that scary, but reconnecting it is a real pain in ...! :rolleyes:

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
Updates on the use of the silicone tubing?

I would really like to know how the silicone tubing is holding up over time? I was considering doing the silicone tubing swap until I talked to a friend who is a VW master tech. For the record he does not work on TDIs (only gassers) but he has had problems with the silicon tubing collapsing :eek: over time (about a year and a half.) Hence the request for an update: How is the change over going for those who have done it? And for what length of time have any of you been using it? Any noticeable problems?
Thanks

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
vwxyzero said:
I would really like to know how the silicone tubing is holding up over time? I was considering doing the silicone tubing swap until I talked to a friend who is a VW master tech. For the record he does not work on TDIs (only gassers) but he has had problems with the silicon tubing collapsing :eek: over time (about a year and a half.) Hence the request for an update: How is the change over going for those who have done it? And for what length of time have any of you been using it? Any noticeable problems?
Thanks

Well I've had mine on for more than a year and a half. Almost 40,000 miles now. It looks and feels as it did when new. Even the ends of the hose that attach to the turbo (and are exposed to the most heat) feel like new. And most importantly, no ECU error codes since installing. FWIW, I'm running an RC2+ chip, about 16.5 psi.

George

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat sedan, 1997, maroon, 129k mi.
B4 ECM removal is different

P2B said:
Not too difficult - first remove the plastic cover below the windshield on the passenger side to expose the ECU, then loosen a couple of screws attaching the ECU to it's bracket and slide it out.

You do not need to disconnect the ECU from the wiring harness - just flip it over, remove 4 torx screws, and slide the ECU cover off. The internal boost hose will now be visible, replacement and re-assembly is straightforward.

Simon
I haven't seen the ECM installation on an A3, but I can tell you that the process to remove a B4 ECM is different from what was described above. Remove the plastic cover (as above) then remove the cabin filter element and then the holder for the element by way of two or three sliding slips inside (those german engineers!). Remove the nut holding the ECM bracket to the car next to the cable's entrance to the ECM. Lift the bracket up and pull the ECM/bracket assy from the pins holding the other end of the bracket. Now it's free! :p You can fish it out of the cubbyhole and then follow Simon's remaining steps.

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
I've just replaced the vacuum lines of my B4. In doing so, I was puzzled at the use, apparently at the factory, of some plastic "splicing" pieces. I found them in a couple of the longer runs. The lines were attached to the short tubes by way of those "oh so user-friendly" crimped metal clamps. Why would they do that? I didn't reuse them in my new lines.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Did you notice where the connectors were? At the passenger's end of the transverse "tube" on the firewall. Why? So that you can replace just the exposed section of the hoses without having to fish three full length hoses through the tube if only the exposed sections are damaged.

Last edited:

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
I see! I replaced the large plastic tube with some large wireloom so I will have an easier time if that situation develops, but I understand now. Thanks! I'll keep the "splicing" tubes, though.

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
I had some splicing tubing (about 6 inches) right up front. It was brittle when I pulled it so I did not bother with it and put a full piece of tubing in instead.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Wow I forgot about this thread! 3 1/2 years and 100k miles later, this silicone tubing is still going strong for me, no problems! :D

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
lupin..the..3rd said:
What paramedick said.

You want Viton tubing for the injector return lines. McMaster sells this as well. Use the forum search to find the part number (I don't have it handy).
I am not sure which line this is, please someone take a picture.

lupin..the..3rd said:
Wow I forgot about this thread! 3 1/2 years and 100k miles later, this silicone tubing is still going strong for me, no problems! :D
Excelent I am in the process of changing all of mine now. So far the ECU and feed tube (which was cracked) and one of the two lines to the solenoid (behind the battery) ... The solenoid is bad I think as my vent does not open and close with the Recir button.

Last edited:

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Most of the injector return lines are daisy-chained from injector to injector. Another continues on somewhere else.

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
Another note, as I am changing all my hoses. I don't have red and blue cloth hoses they are black and have just the ends painted red or blue.

Condor

TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
I already ordered all of the vaccuum lines but forgot to get the viton :(. I did a search and maybe I missed it but how much viton and what size is needed for a B4?

Thanks!

Chubber

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I am planning this work this week. It doesn't look like anyone was reclamping the silicon tubes when hooking them, especially to the N75. Am I safe to leave any kind of clamp off? These are almost all vacuum, right, or are there pressure lines that may back off without clamps?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
They are pressure hoses (on the A3/B4's), but with the tight silicone, no one has reported "popping off".