suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
As was done last year, we would like to offer the opportunity for attendees to take advantage of all the talent that will be assembled at TDI Fest. These technical sessions will take place on Sunday after the morning talks during the Show 'n' Shine. We are also arranging for vendors to set up during this time.
Please sign up here if you would like to particpate in/put on a technical session. You will need to provide the tools (or make arrangements with another attendee) and the hands to do the work. There will no doubt be many VAG-COMs among the crowd. These technical sessions will be held in the spirit of TDIClub meaning that anyone who wants to help and has the knowledge will pitch in but you must be able to complete the task within the hours available.

For example, last year there was a timing belt change, a starter test/install, timing adjustments, the world's longest oil change performed by GeWilli, ventectomies, intake cleaning, biodiesel demonstration, etc.

Whatever you want to do that can be done in 3 hours will be welcome and I'm sure that there will be someone who will benefit from the sharing of knowledge.

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
Jetter_Sprinta said:
If we bring her car, Jetter wants to "Chip-it"
There will be vendors there to provide that service. Part of the agreement with the vendors to get space is that they provide a discount to Fest attendees so there should be some good pricing available.

VW_Jedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS, Silver with Black Leather
I would like to get a TB change, but I would need someone to do the work for me, while I hold the flashlight and the coffee. If this is possible, sign me up.

Nagy

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
Try making contact with a fellow club member to arrange this. I'm sure there'll be some people who will help but you'll have to get your hands dirty. Common TDI Club protocol says if you want the work done you should be ready to help. Perhaps there's someone who will do all the work for you but you'll need to find them and make the arrangements. Any takers?

Metalnerd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 Passat TDI Storm Grey
I will bring a set of loaner TB tools and a brake reset tool. I can lend a hand with tool usage but I will not encourage anyone to do a TB in 3 hours, miles and miles from home.

I will get back to you on a possible rear brake job Tech Session.

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
The time frame could actually be from 12:00 until 5:30 if you really needed. (Brunch ends at 11:30ish and the banquet starts at 6:30). The show 'n' shine will run until 4:30 to allow people to get ready for dinner, have a couple of hours of free time, etc.

VW_Jedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS, Silver with Black Leather
What is the expected time for doing a TB change? I would be happy to do the work if someone can lend me the tools and direct me step by step. I'm eager to learn, but messing around under the hood is very new to me.

NAGY

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
With people milling about, this being your first, people asking questions, you asking questions, people between you and the car, people between you and the tools, blazing hot sun, a sirocco, drenching rain, or early snowfall you should plan a minimum of 5 hours. Just ask Garrett.
He learned that at the last TDI fest.

Metalnerd

TDI
96 Passat TDI Storm Grey
You can figure on 4 to 6 hours for an A4 TB.
Earlier TDIs (A3 & B4 models) somewhat less, 3 to 5 hours.
One broken/stripped bolt can add hours.
Perhaps someone can do it faster.

Anyone interested in a rear brake tech session?

Anyone need rear brakes? Drop me an e-mail. Prefer a local Toronto participant.

Metalnerd

TDI
96 Passat TDI Storm Grey
Clarification: I will bring a demo set of Metalnerd brand tools. I will not have the room to carry the floor jack, floor ramps, engine bridge, common socket set, etc. to perform the A4 Timing Belt Job.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
I have and if need be I can bring my 2 ton floor jack and stands. It is one of the Sears brand full sized units.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
If it's not too late... would it be possible for another entry for tech sessions? Either doing a water injection install or rear sway bar.

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
The purpose for the tech sessions are to let people look on and learn (or even lend a hand if they want/are needed) as well as provide a place where there will be a huge amount of experience to help you if you need it. For those working on their cars they must provide the tools and labour (unless prior arrangements have been made). You will have from about 12:30 until 4:30 to complete any work you do. You can take longer but the banquet starts at 6:30 and the event officially ends at 4:30.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
/images/graemlins/wink.gif i can do it in under 90 seconds /images/graemlins/tongue.gif maybe we need a race /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
OK - you're on! We'll need a couple guinea pigs, errr, willing participants who want the deed done.....betcha this would make for a humorous video tape. ^_^

T

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
okay only qualification is we find two of the newest TDIs that haven't been vented.

no fair if one of us gets stuck with a tough old 2000 or something... '03 its gotta be /images/graemlins/wink.gif

and the race - only golf or jettas /images/graemlins/wink.gif no NBs or A3/B4s...

hey ya know - too much work - i'll just watch ya do it in 3 minutes /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
No A3/B4s eh?

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
[ QUOTE ]
mainframe said:
Is there a list somewhere of the Tech Sessions being offered? If not how does one know what they are signing up for ??

[/ QUOTE ]
This thread is where people are putting down what they'll be doing. je is doing a TB change, someone's doing an oil change. Whatever you want to do you can but you need to arrange the tools and parts (and for big jobs arrange for extra hands). You post the request here for help/tools if you need to. This is a big version of our local GTGs.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
Guys, I likely can't make it for all of TDI FEST 2003... my dad needs the car to boot around for most of the weekend. For this reason I have not yet registared for the event. However, he stays home Sundays, so I can most likely bring the car to the tech-day, and it would be totally sweet if someone could show me how to perform the EGR and Shudder fixes using the VAG-COM. Having so many settings/block I'd rather not do it on my own w/o knowing fully well what I'm doing. Should I sign up and register for TDI FEST, or can someone just show me right quick on Sun?