Sides skirts- Good to cover rust holes or "boy racer" junk?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
The OP is in MN. Fixing the rust is futile and expensive. With the way MNDOT throws salt and corrosive chemicals on the roads repairs will not last regardless of the good intentions and workmanship. It's a temporary solution as the chassis is and will continue to be consumed (and not just the rockers). If the majority of the issue is currently contained to the rockers, cover them with the skirts while you can. The front fenders are easy to replace, the rear quarters start to go next...

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Thanks Jettawreck, living here all my life sometimes I suspect I've spend half of it fighting rust. The Golf already had rust repairs under warranty back around 2014 and 2015, it's come back on the left side where they didn't do so thorough a repair. Got rust developing in the other usual places and just ordered rear brake lines 'cause they're rusting out to. This Golf has a few years left on it, but ultimately the battle will be lost to rust.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Epoxy? Marine adhesive? 3m 4100, 5100 maybe a long rivet or twelve. Get a few more years out of it.