Side Curtain Airbags (Retrofit Possible?)

Momentslater

TDI
2003 Jetta 535k km
We just picked up an 02 Jetta wo/ Side Curtain Airbags. My 03 has them and I'm wondering if it is possible to add a set to the 02 or if the 02s don't have the applicable wiring?

Just asking because they do bring a little piece of mind.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I'd imagine you could. I think you can recode the SRS module to accept them. If not you'll need a newer module that has them. Kind of surprised yours doesn't have them.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You'd need to swap / install the wiring, sensors, control unit, airbag itself, headliner, and grab handles.

-J

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Why do you think you don't have them? I believe they're standard. Look on the front pillar, does it have a little tab that says airbag? Those are side curtain airbags. They drop from the top and front pillar down.
Figure 6 in link below shows location.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...l_Removal/106-BODY-Interior_Panel_Removal.htm
The 03 had additional ones in the seat.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Some of the earlier MKIV base models didn't have them. I had a GL made in 2000 that didn't have them. My dad has a GLS made in 2000 that does.

Momentslater

TDI
2003 Jetta 535k km
Ahh, so it's a whole bunch of work that ain't exactly worth it. From my knowledge all mk4s have the airbags in the seats minus some of the 99.5s, it's the Side Curtains that were optional from 99.5-02. 03 on they were standard.

My 02 is definitely missing the option as it's not listed on the sticker in the trunk and doesn't have the badging.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
There's some confusion here....

Side thorax aribags are standard in all Mk4 Jettas, Beetles, and Golfs. These are mounted in the seat.

Side Curtain airbags became optional in 2001. I think they were standard by 2003? These are mounted along the roof.

-J

Zak3

Veteran Member
TDI
98' Audi A3 8L (from AGR to ARL)
The side curtain airbags are optional on mk4 even in Europe.

You can add them easily but maybe you’ll need to upgrade airbag module if the actual doesn’t support them (check part number and coding options)

You’ll also need new inside roof with roof handles, the curtain airbags and wiring.