Shuddering, Excessive Smoking on First Start-up of Day

CAPwTDIs

In warm or cold weather, my 97 Jetta shudders and smokes excessively (blue) on start-up. The car will turn over, but only by pumping the gas pedal for about 10 seconds. This occurs in warm or cold weather. Battery checks ok, starter was recently replaced. Subsequent starts are normal, car runs fine without any hesistation. Any suggestions for what to check next?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
One quart per thousand miles is definitely excessive.

Also, have you checked your timing with VCDS?

Are you glow plugs in good condition?

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
Sounds like injection timing. Was a timing belt done recently by someone without TDI knowledge?

CAPwTDIs

Agree that oil consumption seems excessive, although car is used primarily for short-distance driving. Have not yet checked timing or turbo. Glow plug light seems to go out almost immediately (unlike my 96 Passat which varies according to temperature), but waiting extra time to turn key does not change the response. Could this point to glow plug manfunction? If compression, timing or turbo were problematic, wouldn't I have the same start-up problem on subsequent start-ups during the day?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Anything under 40F and you should see the glow plug light come on at least for a couple of seconds. Only above 40-45 should the light blink and go out immediately.