shudder when cold

Liggett

TDI
'13 Jetta Sportwagon,'18 Ram Ecodiesel, '97 Passat TDI,'83 Jetta TD,'82 Jetta Diesel, 3-4 Golf and Rabbit diesels
Wife says her '13 JSW "shudders" sometimes when cold. Says it doesn't happen all the time.
122K, timing belt done @ 111K. Mobil Synergy fuel only, Standadyne treatment 4oz. every tank, new fuel/air filters when timing belt changed.
Says it's happened intermittently since purchase at 109K.
I do my best, but first time hearing of this since we bought the car. Ran perfect last week when I drove it. I told her to let it warm up for a "minute" before driving away. it's her first diesel.

Ideas?

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
My 2012 shudders sometimes during the first acceleration between 25-35 MPH. This only happens when the engine cools to ambient temperature, but is not cold weather related. Seems like the intake flap motor , or the exhaust flap motor is stuck closed because I can feel and hear the engine chugging and misfiring. No MIL light. I just got my VCDS cable and have not had a chance to interrogate the ECU.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I had a similar thing happen 2 days ago.

COldest day so far this year, maybe high teens temp. It started fine in the morning. Drove to work, car sat most of the day. When I got in, it started normally, ran maybe 1-2 seconds and stalled abruptly.

On attempted restart, it acted like a low battery. It would turn over slugishly, then stop.

After a few attempts, the battery seemed to come back, it turned over and started, but idled roughly for at least 10 seconds before smoothing out.

I drove home fine. 2 hours later, went back out and started. It did the same abrupt stall and was rough for a short time on re-start.

It is a 2011 JSW 6MT, 85K miles. Bought in april, so this is my first cold weather experience with it.

The battery is VAG, so I assume original. Might not be a bad idea to replace it, I suppose.

No fuel treatment so far, but think I will start. Any recommendations appreciated.

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
When I got in, it started normally, ran maybe 1-2 seconds and stalled abruptly.

On attempted restart, it acted like a low battery. It would turn over slugishly, then stop.

After a few attempts, the battery seemed to come back, it turned over and started, but idled roughly for at least 10 seconds before smoothing out.
Ranger Pete, your issue is water in the intercooler, common problem on your model of TDI with functioning EGR system.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=302863

mikereidjr

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
So I just had my turbo replaced at the dealer and it was doing the same thing sometimes it would just stall out and take a long time to turn over. Apparently there was a vacuum line that was not on correctly after the turbo was changed, the fixed the vacuum line and it has been great ever since.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Ranger Pete, your issue is water in the intercooler, common problem on your model of TDI with functioning EGR system.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=302863

Yup, that is definitely what I experienced.

So where do I go from here?

Grill block?

Seems like VAG ought to stand behind this problem and do the fix free of charge.

Any chance that will happen?

Seems to me that if they are on the hook for major engine repair, via the extended by-back warranty, it would be in their interest to do so.

Last edited:

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
ID parts no longer carries the grill cover for the MK VI Jetta.

Anyone know of anyone else that carries it? I will likely just make one.

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
Yup, that is definitely what I experienced.

So where do I go from here?

Grill block?

Seems like VAG ought to stand behind this problem and do the fix free of charge.

Any chance that will happen?

Seems to me that if they are on the hook for major engine repair, via the extended by-back warranty, it would be in their interest to do so.
Not covered under warranty, they won’t be of help. If there was a check engine light on you might have a leg to stand on, but the issue does not trigger a check engine light.

You can try a winter front, but I know customers who have tried that and it didn’t help. Some cars/areas are worse about it than others.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
hill cresting fuel cutout

hill crest shudder

hiccup

The hesitation/stutter/shudder is a well-documented phenomenon on these cars for at least 2, 3, or 4 reasons. One example is caused by defueling, an ECU managed occurrence that saves fuel. It's most noticeable with light acceleration, especially if cresting a hill (links above). In 3rd gear it's most noticeable for me and it happens everyday at the same place on my drive. Another example is fuel management to help warm up the exhaust early during the warmup cycle. It seems the ECU injects fuel to heat portions of the exhaust to improve efficiency. In my car that also causes a kind of stumble/shudder early when the car is just warming up. Then there are the regen stumbles. All manner of odd running behavior when the ECU takes control to regenerate the NOx filter or DPF.

Bottom line, some odd running behavior is completely normal operation for these TDI cars. After 10-years of ownership and over 175K miles, I say no worries! I love my car, even with the shudders. That said, one of these days, I might try the delete and tune thing. I suspect much or all of the odd running behaviors will disappear.

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
I'm having a similar issue, but only at low speeds and when the engine is cold. It's usually fine in first and when I shift to second, the engine shudders and I have no power. It's fairly random, not every morning or afternoon. It also typically occurs on my flat street or in a parking lot. Friday, leaving work (sat all day, around 30F) i shifted out of gear to see what would happen and it shuddered and died. No issues restarting or stumbling on start, so I'm not thinking it's an intercooler issue. It appears to be getting worse/happening more often.

I have no CELs, Fuel filter was done at 60k, I now have 68,500 miles. I will have the dealer check for fault codes at the oil change in a 1000 miles or so. The car is under CPO through march, so hopefully I can get this figured out before then. Any ideas? What are the symptoms of intake or exhaust flap issues? I'd expect a CEL is it was related to those, though.