Shudder in first gear (DSG)

Ray Khan

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
The car has about 5000 miles on it and recently the transmission starting acting a little funny. The issue is it sometimes engages first gear with a shudder. It's not a subtle feeling thing. It seems to shift fine so it's just an occasional hiccup engaging first gear. I turned off the hill braking to see if we were fighting the brakes but that didn't change anything.

You can feel the issue when depressing the gas in first gear. The car starts moving but for about a second (I assume as the clutch is disengaging) you can feel the vibration. This is only happening less than 5% of the time. Throttle position doesn't seem to play a role. Any thoughts?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I don't really have any thoughts aside from ours was a little rough when it was new, but it smoothed out as it got broken in.

Ray Khan

TDI
Yes that could be the case. We'll drive it until the first service and have the dealer look at it.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I think it is one of the odditities of the DSG. Every once in a while it hiccups. As long as that is all that happens I wouldn't worry. My JSW does it once in a while and otherwise is perfect.

It's great having an unusual car instead of the drones most car makers produce.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
My Passat DSG smoothed out considerably in the first 10K... The JSW is still in the honeymoon phase right now...

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The clutches live in an oil bath in the 6 spd DSG and if others are an example the clutches shoulf have a nice long life since the oil will cool and lubricate then and the splines.
The oil is like lots of German magic oils that have controlled friction for these clutches to work properly.
I think the trouble prone part may be th dual mass flywheel assessmbly. These (I think) have two flywheel masses connected by an rubber part that helps control the torsional vibrations fron the TDI engine. I think the failures are mostly in the compliant bits that connect everything.
The torsional vibrations are probably worst at idle so the best thing would be to stop very little and drive more, longer.
Taking that bit of "truth" my wife's car should last forever.

Ray Khan

TDI
The normal day for this car is 100 miles of commuting with very little stop and go. The car sees much more stop and go city driving on the weekends. We'll see if this problems clears up by the 10k mile service I guess.