shudder at shut down is annoying but not the same on all my '03s

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
so this is a first. I have pretty much done the same thing on all my 2003 jettas with the exception of the intakes. All the same tune etc.. Here are the differences

1) stock intake, egr is disabled

2) PD 150 euro manifold with large air box intake. EGR disabled

3) stock air intake/box but with PD150 main manifold and egr partially engaged

#1 and #2 shut down perfectly/ NO shudder whatsoever.. dare I say as nice as a gas motor.. its just.. off

#3 shuts down with drama and a pretty good shudder.. It has a brand new PD 150 manifold and febi EGR valve . Does have the EGR partially engaged per Malone stage 4 tune

Has gotten a tad better with some miles but still annoying none the less

any idea as to why #3 is so different than the others and anything I can do about it?

Thanks
peter

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
so this is a first. I have pretty much done the same thing on all my 2003 jettas with the exception of the intakes. All the same tune etc.. Here are the differences

1) stock intake, egr is disabled

2) PD 150 euro manifold with large air box intake. EGR disabled

3) stock air intake/box but with PD150 main manifold and egr partially engaged

#1 and #2 shut down perfectly/ NO shudder whatsoever.. dare I say as nice as a gas motor.. its just.. off

#3 shuts down with drama and a pretty good shudder.. It has a brand new PD 150 manifold and febi EGR valve . Does have the EGR partially engaged per Malone stage 4 tune

Has gotten a tad better with some miles but still annoying none the less

any idea as to why #3 is so different than the others and anything I can do about it?

Thanks
peter
Is the asv functioning?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Egr has nothing to do with it... The AntiShudder Valve is what stops the noise. Won't hurt anything other than a nuicance noise.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I had that once when the hose to the ASV cracked.
I would check all the small vacuum hoses if they look original.
The hard plastic tube going to the brake booster is known to crack where it's hard to see.
Low vacuum.
Maybe have someone shut the car off while you watch the ASV arm.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Can someone show me where the ASV is on a PD150 manifold?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
The black thing at the top left is the actuator for the ASV. It's part of the EGR valve.

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
brm manifold with brm asv to silicone 90, still trying to find a way to use the electronic asv with the alh, until then sure there's a little extra noise on shutdown