Show what you tow!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Ive posted a few times before about towing etc.. I have a 2014 6MT sportwagen. It has the torklift 2" receiver/hitch and IDparts towing spring package with Koni reds installed. Been driving on that setup for about 2 years but havent towed. I think a 5x8 aluminum utility trailer is my best bet, something like this https://www.cmtruckandtrailersales.com/2022-primo-5x8-utility-trailer-r6an|Mef.html but open to suggestions. I dont have a place to store it inside. I plan on using it for dump runs, project materials from box stores, home reno stuff, etc... I also dont have the wiring harness installed and could use some thoughts on what hardware I need there and if anyone can point me to an install video that would be appreciated. Thoughts?
Here are 2 options I found for trailer wiring: One of them has an install video and I would assume that the video should help with either wiring kit.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Wi...gen/2014/119147KIT.html?VehicleID=20141176645
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install...-2014-volkswagen-jetta-sportwagen-c59236.aspx

Good luck and hope you get a wiring kit installed soon, so you can go and get that aluminum trailer to put both it and your JSW TDI to use.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Here are 2 options I found for trailer wiring: One of them has an install video and I would assume that the video should help with either wiring kit.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Wi...gen/2014/119147KIT.html?VehicleID=20141176645
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install...-2014-volkswagen-jetta-sportwagen-c59236.aspx

Good luck and hope you get a wiring kit installed soon, so you can go and get that aluminum trailer to put both it and your JSW TDI to use.
I ordered that e trailer harness. They just emailed me ~10 days later to say some parts are OOS and won't be in until January 2023. Any other suggestions on a wiring kit or vendors?

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I started wiring up my trailer light kit yesterday and should have it wrapped up today or tomorrow. I plan on going with this aluminum trailer.
What trailer hitch do folks usually go with? Any kind of rise? I am on the VW towing springs so i'm up about 2" over stock, should I use a straight connection or something with a rise? What size ball hitch? anything else ill need?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
You'll want some sort of rise unless you have an unusually low trailer which from what little can be seen above, it's probably not. A 4" rise will likely get you in the right place.

Ball hitch should match the trailer coupler (which is 2" from the picture above) - 2" is very popular.

Regarding the hitch itself - are you buying/bolting in or are you looking to fabricate your own?

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
You'll want some sort of rise unless you have an unusually low trailer which from what little can be seen above, it's probably not. A 4" rise will likely get you in the right place.

Ball hitch should match the trailer coupler (which is 2" from the picture above) - 2" is very popular.

Regarding the hitch itself - are you buying/bolting in or are you looking to fabricate your own?
I already have the hitch installed and went with a torklift 2" receiver.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
What trailer hitch do folks usually go with? Any kind of rise? I am on the VW towing springs so i'm up about 2" over stock, should I use a straight connection or something with a rise? What size ball hitch? anything else ill need?
There is no trailer tongue height standard. Bigger trailers are generally higher. My stock spring JSW uses a 6" rise with a 6x12 utility box trailer and a straight rise for the little flat bed utility trailer.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Still making final decisions on trailer. 5x8, 5x10 or 6x10? Leaning towards 6x10, figure bigger ia better but would appreciate any thoughts from this group.

And for basically the same price I can get a 5x10 with bifold ramp or a 6x10 with normal/tall ramp. I think I'd rather the bifold but open to thoughts.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Well weights not a factor but width on a 6ft wide can be kind of annoying. I would imagine the resale is better the bigger you go. As a more expensive aluminium trailer is generally desired for large but light pull?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

I picked up another trailer... $70 for a harbor freight 4x8 isn't too bad... needed wheels and a hitch coupler, as well as the bed, but its a good start...

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Well weights not a factor but width on a 6ft wide can be kind of annoying. I would imagine the resale is better the bigger you go. As a more expensive aluminium trailer is generally desired for large but light pull?
Those are my thoughts as well. I feel like at 5 ft wide trailer is fine for me and probably a little bit easier to maneuver. However I called my local trailer dealer and the 5x10 that they had is now sold so if I want one now it's the 6x10. I could also wait, I don't have an immediate need but would like to get rolling in start taking care of some dump runs and other stuff that I've been putting off for a while.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Still making final decisions on trailer. 5x8, 5x10 or 6x10? Leaning towards 6x10, figure bigger ia better but would appreciate any thoughts from this group.

And for basically the same price I can get a 5x10 with bifold ramp or a 6x10 with normal/tall ramp. I think I'd rather the bifold but open to thoughts.
It does depend a bit on what you're doing. I've had/pulled many trailers 4x8, 4x6 enclosed, 8x8, and 6.5x10 and unless you have something that requires the larger trailer, I'd go with a 5x10. The 4' trailers track width is almost exactly the same as a MKIV so that is nice, but they're just too exactly 4' for hauling standard 4x8 material (paneling, drywall, pallets, etc). A 5x10 will allow you to comfortably haul standard building materials, but not be so wide to be a hassle. My 6.5x10 is great for a 72" mower, but otherwise a bit big/cumbersome to drag around all the time and more aero drag compared to something that slips behind the car.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
It does depend a bit on what you're doing. I've had/pulled many trailers 4x8, 4x6 enclosed, 8x8, and 6.5x10 and unless you have something that requires the larger trailer, I'd go with a 5x10. The 4' trailers track width is almost exactly the same as a MKIV so that is nice, but they're just too exactly 4' for hauling standard 4x8 material (paneling, drywall, pallets, etc). A 5x10 will allow you to comfortably haul standard building materials, but not be so wide to be a hassle. My 6.5x10 is great for a 72" mower, but otherwise a bit big/cumbersome to drag around all the time and more aero drag compared to something that slips behind the car.
I second this..I have a 5x10 and it is a nice size. It'll fit a lawnmower and tracks nice behind my passat.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I'll add on the 4' trailers - depending on what you are towing with and which model of trailer it can be difficult to see the trailer behind you. I have a 4x6 for my lawn mower, etc. and if the gate is stored flat the trailer is not visible in any of my mirrors UNLESS I'm turning. I usually store the gate up so I can see it when backing up.

I would assume you could see the fenders of a 5x8 in your mirrors pretty easy.

Jason

Dannyboy

Veteran Member
TDI

I picked up another trailer... $70 for a harbor freight 4x8 isn't too bad... needed wheels and a hitch coupler, as well as the bed, but its a good start...
I got one similar but tires are 12 inch so I believe you can do highway speeds . Can't remember if it's 5x8 or 4x8 but it folds up nicely in my garage when I take the sides off. It's the 2000 lb one so payload is about 1750 lbs max. Unloaded it bounces pretty good on our garbage roads but loaded it tows very well.
With the airlift kit and westfalia hitch installed and bags set at around 20 psi, it sits dead level which makes balancing load so much easier.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
This was So heavy it nearly got stuck in the ground. It didn’t go far. Bilstein hds held up and cleared some rough terrain without bottoming. It was heavy fill. I wouldn’t want to pull more than 1600 with this car.
I have 5x8 with lights on fenders I can see in mirrors
Ever notice Modern trailers have the wheels set much further back than older models.? I suppose it's a manufacturer CYA issue to make sure you have max tongue weight?

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Never did notice that but yeah cya also helpful if someone doesnt pay attention too the load and loads to heavy behind the wheels. I dont miss getting in and flipping it like the older trailers :)

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Look at an old U-Haul. Years ago I learned the hard way about neg tongue weight...:poop:

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Pulled the trigger on a new trailer after all. 5.5x10 all aluminum with aluminum deck plate and bifold gate. towed it home 50 miles and pulled like a dream. no issues. trailer weight is ~300# empty so not much to pull with no cargo. Im on a 4" riser and prob need to drop that down to a 2"

Last edited:

Instigatr

TDI
03 Golf 2 door MTM
I hauled home a new used engine for the wife's subaru wagon the other day on very slick roads. Hardly tell it was back there. Approximately 100 miles one way. Sure is fun to see someone getting pissed off when they try to beat that little car with a trailer away from the stop light 🤣
Sorry, to cold for pictures.

Mozambiquer

TDI

Yesterday I borrowed my dad's 6x12 trailer to haul some fencing. I brought it about 15 miles to my house but then decided to use my 2003 expedition to go get the stuff as I didn't have an adapter for the trailer wiring.
The passat pulled it a whole lot better than the expedition though! That 4.6 v8 is just gutless! And it gets only about 9-10 mpg pulling a trailer compared to the 30 with my passat.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I hauled home a new used engine for the wife's subaru wagon the other day on very slick roads. Hardly tell it was back there. Approximately 100 miles one way. Sure is fun to see someone getting pissed off when they try to beat that little car with a trailer away from the stop light 🤣
Sorry, to cold for pictures.
That's an 'inside the car' load
hell, if you toss the spare tire up front, a whole 7.3 IDI will fit in the back of your golf.
55 gallon drum will stand up back there too, just gotta set it on a section of 2x6 to tilt it forward and keep it off the back window

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
All you wagon owners make me sooo jealous😄. I could use one so bad!
For now surprisingly the beetle has done everything I need though I will say it would be a bit easier with a wagon.
The other day I drove the bug with a beetle hood half in my lap and the rest in the passenger seat because it wouldnt fit in the trunk (bunch of other parts in the back anyway) and I didn't want to put it on the roof rack.
Amazing what you can make fit in these cars.