Show what you tow!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Low amperage controlling high amperage

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
The magnet grabs the vertical surface of the drum and the rotational force of the drum is what applies the shoes. Generally controllers will have adjustable reostats the control both the aggressiveness and force that the brakes are applied. Also a manual override
Ok so it is triggered by the brake light. But how does it know how much to brake? The reostat is adjusted to the weight of the trailer I guess?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Trial and error. For example, my dump trailer running empty I will set it at 1.5, running full I’ll set it at 4.5 to 6 on a scale of one through 10. Another rheostat will control how aggressively the brakes will come on when signaled

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
The electric brake controllers have an accelerometer in them that senses the deceleration of the vehicle and proportionally adjusts the current to the trailer brakes. More current = more brake on the trailer.

You adjust the sensitivity of the accelerometer in the cab of the vehicle - which you're supposed to adjust with every change in load (empty trailer vs full trailer). Drive in a safe place at a safe speed, apply vehicle brakes, insure trailer brakes don't lock up. If they do, reduce the gain (sensitivity). If they don't seem to engage, turn the sensitivity up. The brakes on the trailer are traditional drum brakes, but instead of a slave cylinder pushing on the shoes, the electro-magnets have friction material on them that drags on the face of the drum. More current to the brakes, more magnetic force, more friction on the drum face, rotates the lever to push on the actual friction shoes (like a slave cylinder would).

It's a stupid system in my opinion

I much prefer the hydraulic version as you describe - we call them "surge" brakes over here. Everything that has electric brakes also has a reverse wire so when you shift into reverse, there is a hydraulic lockout solenoid that lets you back up a hill without engaging the brakes. Much more simple, robust solution - self compensating for the load on the trailer, etc. Unfortunately it's what we've always had what we keep repeating for some reason.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I've noticed that you guys in NA seem to have electric brakes on the trailers? How does that work?

The most common over here is a mechanical over-run braking system that uses the weight of the trailer pushing towards the car during braking to apply the brakes on the trailer. When the trailer no longer pushes on the car the brakes are pulled back and the trailer is free wheeling again.
The electric brakes for our trailers are typically solenoid activated drum brakes around 10" (25.4cm) diameter. They are activated through the 7 pin connector to the towing vehicle. Brake proportionality is by voltage. Higher voltage is higher braking pressure. Usually, we have to purchase an aftermarket brake controller which converts the car's braking signal into a proportional or time-based trailer braking. There are also more advanced ones that listen to the OBD data stream and adjust braking according to the actual braking--for instance when the towing vehicle is using anti lock braking, the trailer brake will stay fully braked, no matter what the brake pedal position or other signals say. It's a sort of intelligent system.

There are also electric over hydraulic trailer disc brakes for larger trailers, but most people just use the simplistic electric brakes.

For people who tow boats, they usually use the mechanical 'surge' brakes that you use because they are immersion tolerant.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I've noticed that you guys in NA seem to have electric brakes on the trailers? How does that work?

The most common over here is a mechanical over-run braking system that uses the weight of the trailer pushing towards the car during braking to apply the brakes on the trailer. When the trailer no longer pushes on the car the brakes are pulled back and the trailer is free wheeling again.
we've got those too, they're called surge brakes here

the electric brakes are a little more failure prone, but they got the benefit of when the trailer gets squirrelly you can manually apply just the trailer brakes and it'll straighten it out right quick

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Oilhammer, when you towed your camper trailer with the golf, did you track fuel economy? I'm curious what the windage did to fuel economy, and if you had to tow in 4th gear.
I'm not oilhammer, but I tow a trailer on TV.

When we towed the scamp all over the eastern US for 8 years "You can't do that, the tiny car will blow up, jacknife, etc!", the ALH TDI went from 48 to 29MPG.

The 2012 JSW TDI&DSG went from 44 to 25. The Mk6 chassis was better than the Mk4 as a tugboat.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Love the great explanations about trailer brakes! Once in a while I will see someone who "forgot to turn down the trailer brake setting" with an unloaded trailer coming up to a stop light at a normal braking pace for their truck but completely locking their trailer brakes and creating a huge smoke show from the time they breathed on the brake the pedal in the truck to the when they reach a full stop. Its rare to see because must drivers feel the tug, hear the noise, see the smoke, and adjust the knob right away.

None of my trailers have their own brakes, I try to keep them under a metric ton (2200 lbs) of weight.

Anyway, I got to use my newest 6' x 12' flatbed trailer for the first time yesterday!

Here are some videos I made of coverting an old camper into this beautiful flatbed hauler:

I absolutely love the Jetta Wagon Towing Springs on my Golf. They do add almost 2 inches of nice supple ride height in the rear when unloaded, and let me max out the 200lbs rated tongue weight of my hitch with confidence. Basically, when fully loaded, the rear suspension sits where most cars sit unloaded:

I also have
VR6 Wagon springs in the front with 1" strut spaces from this Evolution Import kit plus 10cm OEM strut spacers on top of those for 1.5ish inches combine in front. I could not use the 1" spacers from the Evolution kit in the rear because it was just too much when combined with the rear Jetta Wagon Towing springs. I was able to sell the rear spacers to another TDIclub member who used them to help with the saggin rear end on their vehicle. An excelent upgrade on its own, I'm surprised Evolution Import doesn't sell the front and rear spacers separately.

edit: I should mention that if you are going to lift the rear more than 1.5 inches you may need shock extensions, which I include a close up look at in this video:

Thanks again to IDParts for support our community with products like these, and making their catalog so easy and accessable! IDParts.com has all of their
towing springs on sale, by the way.

Happy Towing!

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Went and picked up a load of pea gravel yesterday with my new trailer light system. Worked really slick! It was probably a 700-900lb load, and I felt like i had to let the clutch out a lil slower or it would starts spinning or stalling depending on which way i tried it. Do you guys usually have to let out the clutch slower when towing heavier weights and if so have you seen increased clutch wear, or had to get new clutches?

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
Yes but with a lot heavier loads than 900 lbs or starting on hills. I usually dont notice a difference on flat ground until i get to 1200 lbs.

Basically you have to get the car going about 5 mph (1st gear idle speed) before the clutch can be fully engaged. If you let out too fast it will stall because there was no momentum built up.

If you feel it slip, either your clutch is on its way out or you had a ton of weight and giving it heavy throttle.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes but with a lot heavier loads than 900 lbs or starting on hills. I usually dont notice a difference on flat ground until i get to 1200 lbs.

Basically you have to get the car going about 5 mph (1st gear idle speed) before the clutch can be fully engaged. If you let out too fast it will stall because there was no momentum built up.

If you feel it slip, either your clutch is on its way out or you had a ton of weight and giving it heavy throttle.
Ok. Im not slipping as i have a newer SB stage 2 daily. I just didn't know how much i should be riding that cluch as i usually let it out pretty quick

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
It was probably a 700-900lb load, and I felt like i had to let the clutch out a lil slower or it would starts spinning or stalling depending on which way i tried it. Do you guys usually have to let out the clutch slower when towing heavier weights and if so have you seen increased clutch wear, or had to get new clutches?
I just let the clutch out like normal and let the tires do the slip if they've gotta
My thinking is that the free tires that I run are a lot cheaper than the ceramic clutch.
Also, the tongue weight of the trailer tends to reduce your traction up front.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I just let the clutch out like normal and let the tires do the slip if they've gotta
My thinking is that the free tires that I run are a lot cheaper than the ceramic clutch.
My winter set of Blizzaks have gotten me less then 8k miles so far on ~50% tread😁.The centers are all flat, granted they are over 4-5 years old

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
if the middle is wearing first, look for a slightly narrower set next time (they'll also punch through the slush better)
Noticing that on my current set of 215/60r16s, they're too wide for the wheels so the center is wearing a lot faster than the shoulders.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
I've driven big trucks with ceramic faced clutches that were grabby like that, company went back to conventional clutch facings.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I've driven big trucks with ceramic faced clutches that were grabby like that, company went back to conventional clutch facings.
I hate it something fierce, but sadly it's the only thing that'll hold up. Limited room in the bellhousing means I can't do something more gentle like a kevlar lined twin.

If I were able to do it again, I'd just limit torque in the tune file to 400 ft/lb and use the (thousand dollar!) stock application clutch set

joyjoy22

TDI
2015 Volkswagen Beetle
I'm not oilhammer, but I tow a trailer on TV.

When we towed the scamp all over the eastern US for 8 years "You can't do that, the tiny car will blow up, jacknife, etc!", the ALH TDI went from 48 to 29MPG.

The 2012 JSW TDI&DSG went from 44 to 25. The Mk6 chassis was better than the Mk4 as a tugboat.
It's been a while since I have seen this type of trailer.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Picked up a used chicken coop from a neighbour's back yard using the 6x12 "flat bed" trailer:

I know there is way too much tongue weight but this is the only way it set down flat on the bed, and we literally only had to travel two doors down and across the street:

Three weeks later:

It is mounted on an old camper frame for mobility:

The idea is to move it every time I mow the grass so that the chickens always have a fresh patch of bugs to scratch at and the grass never really gets damaged from having the frame sit in one place. After sever years of experience moving a trampoline around every time I mow I know this works for the legs of the trampoline. My wife did some research online that says that it works for the patch the chickens will be scratching and poopping in too.

Of course, the pen had to be moved separately, it comes apart in panels and gets stacked on the 4x8 trailer, which was towed behind the tractor:

Managed to finally get a nice square shot of my favorite trailer perfectly level and with matching silver tarp behind the car also:

Taking the Volkswagen to go and pick up six "ready-to-lay" hens this afternoon! These will be our first chickens. Wish us luck!

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I'm jealous of your chicken setup. Too bad the city we live in bans "animals of husbandry" within the city limits. So no chickens, goats, etc.

Jason

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I'm jealous of your chicken setup. Too bad the city we live in bans "animals of husbandry" within the city limits. So no chickens, goats, etc.

Jason
Haha, thanks! Yes, definetly have to check your local laws! Not my idea of fun but this is making the wife very happy and that is priceless. Three of the four kids are into it too. We found our first egg this morning so these were definetly "ready-to-lay" as advertised!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Some photos from my recent 7600-mile trip to CA. Yes, I did it again, this time with a cargo trailer instead of the utility trailer...

Tail of the Dragon...

Flagstaff, AZ...

Cool Springs, AZ just a few hours later...

Death Valley; "SEA LEVEL" sign in the mountain behind the car...

Artist's Palette in Death Valley...

Moro Rock in Sequoia National Park...

In the Giant Forest just 10-15 minutes later...

Not as bad as it looks...

The ranger encouraged me leave the trailer in a pull-out so that I could see the main attractions. He didn't want me to miss out. He was certain that the roads would thaw in a couple hours...

Two days later with my wife; the roads were completely clear...

Back home in VA with the pollen...

I'm sharing the journey in a series of videos on my YT channel, StealthGTI, updates each Thursday.

Take care!

joyjoy22

TDI
2015 Volkswagen Beetle
Looks like you had a lot of fun on the adventure. Are you using any all-season tires on this car? Do you mind giving us the make and model of this tire? I need a set of new tires to mount on my HD wheels.

I'm excited to see the vlog on your YT channel, so be sure to share it here once it's ready.

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI

Thanks to you guys who helped me figure out my trailer lights situation i got them installed a few weeks ago, and have been using the trailer a few times. Its been working great! Here im pulling my friends o'l Honda back to my place to do a lil maintenance.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
JoyJoy,

Are you using any all-season tires on this car? Do you mind giving us the make and model of this tire? I need a set of new tires to mount on my HD wheels. I'm excited to see the vlog on your YT channel, so be sure to share it here once it's ready.
I am using all-seasons. I'm currently on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, which is a discontinued high-performance all-season tire. They are superseded by the Pilot Sport All-Season 4, which is reportedly a good improvement over the A/S3+. They're said to be among the best in snow, FOR A PERFORMANCE TIRE. I'm sure none of them are great on ice. Snow tires would have been great for me on that mountain. Anyway, I'll probably get the AS4s this October. Snow driving is a rare event for me. I have the option to just stay home when snow or ice comes. :)

Regarding my videos, I've started the series and have about 1/2 of the videos shared on this list. I publish a new video each Thursday. The Sequoia incident publishes next Thursday.

Take Care!

Scott

Chris_co

TDI
2003 golf 1.9
Please help.
I may be moving to okc soon for family and I own a 2003 golf 1.9 tdi. It's in great shape and it has 170000 miles. I want to tow with it and I've been getting alot of misinformation from other sites so I came here.

So far I looked at maybe getting this from uhaul.
I want a flat trailer with a lift gate of possible.
Where do I begin?

Thank you so much in advance!

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
While the uhaul hitches are ok for light use there are various other options to consider.

Bosal makes a very well designed hitch for your golf, that's more $, but much more solid in how it attaches to the car.

There are also several ways to make your own if you're handy and don't mind spending a Saturday making one. Cost is about the same as a purchased one, but the quality is arguably better (depending on your design and welding skills :)) Several examples if you search.

If you're only going to be towing light trailers (under 1000lb) and not expecting to get 10k+ miles of use out of it, the uhaul version is ok for that.